Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Cracked Sunroof due to Aftermarket Tint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 06:48 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cracked Sunroof due to Aftermarket Tint?

Has anyone heard of a sunroof cracking (broken glass) because of aftermarket tint?

I did a search and found some mention of a few installers not wanting to tint sunroofs because it would cause the TINT to prematurely fail (cracking/peeling) but a friend of mine had an installer decline the sunroof install because he was afraid that the GLASS would break.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-03-2005, 04:34 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats odd...If anything the tint should help keep the glass from moving.

But then that might be the problem. If the tint doesn't allow the glass to expand and contract..intersting. I have my sunroof tinted

Old 10-03-2005, 08:46 AM
agranger
6th Gear
The installer actually mentioned something about the amount of heat/UV entering the sheilded glass and bouning back and forth between the factory tint and the tint he would not install.

If the glass shattered, the tint would help to hold everything in place, but I'm more worried about cracks from the additional stress CAUSED BY the addition of tint...

Old 10-03-2005, 02:24 PM
BaldBikerGuy
Banned
I've had all my sunroofs tinted and never had a problem with the glass cracking. When tinting a sunroof it is reccomended that you use something with a slight reflective to the tint.

If the glass does break it will break into small pieces and the tint will keep some of them from raining down.

Hope some of this helps

Old 10-03-2005, 02:37 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
Old 10-04-2005, 03:37 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by planeguy
I don't have tint on the roof though. All that happened from stress on the glass. It does suck if it blows. It hurts the ear drums!:impatient I think I was the first Mini owner to have that happen but not the first BMW, Chevy, Dodge, etc. to ever do that. Anyways, I would imaging that tinting the moonroof is the same as tinting the other windows since they are all tempered glass.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:33 AM
eMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by agranger
The installer actually mentioned something about the amount of heat/UV entering the sheilded glass and bouning back and forth between the factory tint and the tint he would not install.

If the glass shattered, the tint would help to hold everything in place, but I'm more worried about cracks from the additional stress CAUSED BY the addition of tint...
Yep, there are two camps on this one. Many installers (and owners) have no problem with it. Others won't even think about it. After two installers declined for the same reason you mentioned, I decided there must be something to it and took a pass on the moonroof tint. After all, these were high-end tint shops turning down cash...

I wanted it tinted for comfort. I hate hopping in a hot car at the end of a long day. However, I found a film (Huper Optik) that dramatically reduces heat buildup. Bright sun still occassionally bothers me a bit, but I'm OK for now.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:52 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
To me it is simple physics. Light is energy, energy produces heat, A darker glass absorbs more heat and energy than a lighter glass. Two layers of tint WILL absorb more energy and make the glass hotter.

Is it egnough to cause a blowout failure? maybe or maybe not.....But now you know the risks. Personally I would just get a sunroof graphic that would just reflect more rays than absorbing them. eliminating the delima, serving both puposes well

Old 10-04-2005, 08:39 AM
agranger
6th Gear
If I had ordered the white roof, I'd get the white perf vinyl cover. Unfortunately, I love Pepper White and wanted to go as monochrome as possible (meaning Pepper White roof).

Nobody makes a Pepper White vinyl...

Old 10-04-2005, 09:58 AM
mellow
2nd Gear
Hasn't an OEM come forth to replace the inside perferated shade with a solid shade?

Old 10-04-2005, 10:14 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mellow
Hasn't an OEM come forth to replace the inside perferated shade with a solid shade?
Surely there is one....

But a shade would only block the sun from your head. The factory shade serves this purpose pretty well. I presume the reason for tinting the moonroof is to try to keep heat down when parked all day.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:25 AM
VoiD
6th Gear
I have my sunroof tinted and it is just amazing how hot the glass gets on sunny days. I tried to clean some bird dropping on the roof and whenever I sprayed on the cleaner, it just evaporated. I can see how much stress the glass is going to have from the extra heat absorbed by the tint over time.