Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Opinions on OEM armrest?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 05:02 PM
MrT-Man
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on OEM armrest?

Hi, I I just ordered my Mini & am thinking about adding the armrest. I've read a bunch of message threads on it both here & over at mini2, though it seems like the opinions are sort of mixed. Are there people out there who are super-happy with it? (seems like I haven't seen a lot of people express that)

Unfortunately I don't have any way of trying it out first...

I'm getting an automatic so shifting comfort won't be an issue. I'm 5'11" and plan to have the seat almost all the way back, so the fact that it won't move forward isn't an issue... & I have long arms (34-35 sleeve length) so reaching the steering wheel while resting my arm shouldn't be a problem either.

Main objective is to be able to comfortably hold the steering wheel at 4 or 5 o' clock position for long stretches, while resting my arm on it. I realize that it doesn't stay 100% horizontal and that the cover is prone to opening.

So -- any general thoughts about the armrest and opinions as to whether or not it should be ok for me, given the above details, would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Itsdchz
5th Gear
I love the Armrest in my Wife's 05 MCSC, wish I had it in mine!

Old 10-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Moskito
5th Gear
I have the armrest in mine and I am glad I have it. I would recommend though not to lean completely on it as you get in the car, but it is a nice place to rest your arm while cruising.
H

Old 10-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Nuff
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Like mine ...

Got a new '05 in September and like the OEM armrest. The compartment is small, but it looks good and doesn't get in the way of shifting for me.

Old 10-07-2005, 07:04 AM
coopercrazy
3rd Gear
I've got it on my Sept 05 Deliv MCS.
I sit closer to the wheel being it a 6spd.
I'm 5'10" w/ 34-35 sleve.
I can just about keep my elbow on it while driving.
But it doesn't stay there for long.
I'm constantly shifting.

I think its a good option.
I keep my EZ pass and garage door opener in there.
If I were sitting further back, my arm would be more solidly on it.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:48 AM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
I'm 6'4" and I really like the rest. It hits me just perfect for normal driving and still isn't in the way for fun.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:56 AM
HMC
2nd Gear
I like it

I wish it were a little sturdier, but I like the overall design. It's not very
deep, but I like how you can fold it out of the way and how it mathes the rest of the (albeit cheap-looking) interior plastic.

I would buy it again.

I have yet to find an aftermarket one that looks decent for my taste.

Most of the people who complain about it, do not have one.

(Make sure you get the parcel shelf too. (Aftermarket. 20 minute install))

Here's a link to some armrest debates:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=51516

Old 10-07-2005, 01:55 PM
MrT-Man
2nd Gear
This is great -- thanks for all the feedback. Based on previous threads, I was beginning to think that no one actually liked the armrest!

Old 10-07-2005, 05:35 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
I had one in my '05 for a few months. I never really wanted it but tried it for a while and just couldn't stand it. It got in the way and rattled like crazy. The factory cupholder and armrest are big time rattlers. I have since replaced it with the stock console and I am very happy now. I never even used it for storage since it was so small...the Euro parcel shelf is outstanding for storage.

Old 10-07-2005, 05:41 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
A must have... get it

Old 10-08-2005, 06:57 AM
DeuceBigelow
2nd Gear
There was one in the car we took for a test drive and my wife hated it more than I did...and she was just the passenger. Needless to say it will not be on our '06.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:18 AM
jbs111
4th Gear
My wife has one in her 05 CR/B S. It is GREAT! Wish they offered it back on 2003.
JB

Old 10-08-2005, 07:42 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Arm rest has wire tracks

I was just looking at the armrest and noticed that it has wire tracks on the undersides of the support legs. Looks like you could neatly wire it for some kind of electronic device like a cell phone. Has anyone done it?

Old 10-09-2005, 02:13 AM
zrwon
4th Gear
I would live without it, I'd say it's a must have.

Old 10-09-2005, 05:36 AM
Paul!
6th Gear
I have it installed in my '04. I like it. As soon as I installed it, my elbow naturally landed on it.

And as for the flimsiness, while it feels like it is, there's actually a big chunk of metal supporting it. I'd be very surprised if anyone can bend one.

-Paul

Old 10-09-2005, 06:51 AM
ururk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's nice. I like it - would spec it again.

I tend to sit a bit closer to the wheel than I should, so I usually can only use the end of it.

Since it flexes a bit, and is not built into the seat, it really cannot be used for a support device.

Old 10-09-2005, 07:11 AM
minimotorin
6th Gear
Didn't have one in my 02 or my first 05, but have it in my new 05 and I LOVE IT! I also have the automatic and it's just great!

Old 10-09-2005, 08:26 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
I'm 6'0", and therfore have a fair amount of arm. I couldn't imagine driving a vehicle for a long period of time without an arm rest, wether manual or automatic.

The mini door armests are awesome. The OEM armrest is pretty good, but I think they could have done better.

Pros:
- It's an armrest
- It has storage
- Pretty easy to use
- Fairly comfortable, as in, not uncomfortable
- Matches the interior nicely

Cons:
- Sliding top for storage accidentally opens often
- Not the 'strongest' design for something designed to have weight resting on it
- Impedes being able to reach seat-back elevation control

For the price, I would add it to a new Mini order/loan, but I would think twice before spending 200+ on an armrest if it didn't come installed.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:22 AM
HMC
2nd Gear
Arm Rest --- I like!

I just pulled the rubber insert out of it, and I was surprised how thick it was. It takes up about 30-40% of the depth of the storage area. For those who need to maximize every square inch of storage, you can take out the insert and replace with a thin piece of cushion. So the storage is really not as shallow as I had originally thought.

As far as the driver seat reclining adjuster: you have to swing the armrest out of the way; then adjust the seat. Yeah it's an extra step, but IMO it still saves time over fumbling with the lever.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:04 PM
MrT-Man
2nd Gear
Just thought I would follow-up on this thread, I picked up my Mini earlier this week and I'm SO HAPPY I got the armrest! It fits in well with the rest of the interior (I have an anthracite armrest with an all-anthracite interior) and it does the job.

My main complaint is that it could have been comfier -- i.e. maybe a bit more padding, or softer padding, on the surface. But overall it does what's it's supposed to and I think I'd have a hard time adjusting to not having it, if I didn't... I'm 5'11" and the length & position work well, I can keep my arm supported while gripping the steering wheel at the 4-5 o'clock position, which was exactly my objective in getting it. Yay! :smile:

Old 11-24-2005, 06:27 AM
oldhippie
2nd Gear
Location: Cowan, Tennessee (Foothills of the Great Smokey Mountains)
Don't have the OEM, I have the MINI-FINI. I hate that Fini is no longer because their armrest was a little longer. My wife likes that because she has to move the seat fairly close to the steering wheel.

Wouldn't have one without the armrest!!!!!

Old 12-19-2005, 06:26 AM
benaj
1st Gear
Has anyone tried the "Swedish" armrest from MiniMania?

http://www.new.minimania.com/web/Ite.../InvDetail.cfm

It looks like it might hold a bit more on the inside than the new OEM armrest. Personally the position of the OEM armrest is fine for me, but I am concerned about it's cargo capacity and am wondering if this MiniMania armrest might be a bit more functional . . . .

Old 12-19-2005, 06:41 AM
findude
4th Gear
We have the armrest and I'm glad we got it.

I'm 6'2" but do not slide the seat all the way back. However, I am far enough back that the door armrest is useless for resting my elbow on. If I need to rest my left arm, I crook the elbow in the ledge where the window meets the door and just hold the steering wheel at about 8 o'clock.

My wife dislikes the armrest, but she is short and has the seat so far forward that she just flips the armrest up and it is actually farther back than the seatback so it is like not having one at all.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:16 PM
whatever7
1st Gear
I tried it on the dealer model and immidiatedly dislike it. No only does it take away alot of elbow space, it also takes away alot of rear seat knee space.

Plus the cruise control buttons are on the right side of the steering wheel so I don't see how you can do cruise control and rest the right arm at the same time. That, and I have a manual.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:03 PM
Electric Shock
6th Gear
I have an MCS that was delivered to me in Jan 05. At that time the factory armrest was still not an option.

I just had an armrest installed. I thought I was getting the factory armrest but it wasn't. It is apparently whatever MINI dealers installed before they started putting factory armrests in. It does not have a storage compartment and it takes away the rear seat cup holder. On top of that it was expensive - $400.00.

Havng said that. Money wasn't really a factor to me. I wanted an armrest. I never have anyone in my back seat so I don't care about the cup holder back there and I don't really know if it affects the rear seat room. The upside is that the expense was due to a complex install. They tell me that the entire center console got replaced and that the armrest basically bolts on the the frame. They tell me that this thing is so solid I could put my entire body weight on it and it wan't break. So far I agree that it is very solid and strong.

So although I was disappointed at first about not having storage, it sounds like other than the expense, I may be lucky that they didn't install the factory armrest.

Oh and it is nicely padded, fits me very well and perfectly matches my gray leatherette interior. I am happy to have it.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Opinions on OEM armrest?