Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior AVOID SPW seats!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 10:45 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AVOID SPW seats!!!

Well, what a great day i've had... happily installed my wilwood bbk finally, then my friend hops in to help me bed my pads, just when he sits back trying to get comfy, SNAP!!!

after bedding the new pads, car stops phenomenol for those who are reading it for the wilwood

anyways, i took the SPW seats out, guess what... there were originally 6 welds that held the back to the base... all 6 was SPOT WELD!!!! i mean....

they weren't even done very well... im suprised considering they do advertise it as a 'racing seat' lucky it broke on the driveway.. i cant even imagine what 'd happen to me if it broke on the track.......

anybody want to give some advice as to how to talk to the seller? he's not an SPW dealer, but i know i'll need my money back! this is certainly not what i paid for!

Old 10-10-2005, 08:14 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long have you owned the seat for? Does he offer a warranty for it?

Garrett

Old 10-10-2005, 09:31 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by garretwp
How long have you owned the seat for? Does he offer a warranty for it?

Garrett
2 months, we didnt talk about a warranty as i didnt think it was an issue... i expected the fabric to tear over time, i didnt expect the back of the seat to break free so easily

this is certainly a safety issue.. i'd imagine spw'd give me a refund, take the seat back, recondition it, and sell as new again...

Old 10-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
seat

What brand of seat is that? I never heard of it. I always believed you get what you paid for.

Old 10-10-2005, 04:14 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
http://www.spwusa.com/

they are pretty big in the j-tuner crowd... the seats are knock-offs of sparco torinos, apparently they are made in the same factory... so it dont seems to vouch too good for the sparco owners either...

Old 10-10-2005, 04:26 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kyriian
http://www.spwusa.com/

they are pretty big in the j-tuner crowd... the seats are knock-offs of sparco torinos, apparently they are made in the same factory... so it dont seems to vouch too good for the sparco owners either...
I'd bet any amount of money that this isn't true. You bought a knockoff, and if you thought you were getting a rebadged sparco you were just kidding yourself.

Old 10-10-2005, 04:38 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
simpliest thing for all of us is if any sparco torino owners could rip their seat apart, and see if the design is all the same....

bottom line, i dont care so much about the quality anymore, whether they were sparcos or knockoffs i couldnt care less... ill bet they were design to hold a force of someone with bout 250 lbs... they didnt...

chances are, they'd issue my refund, take the seat, recondition it, and sell it as new again... what's them got to lose...

and one last thing... cheap things does not always mean worse... i paid 500 for my scorpion exhaust, sounds great, and if it does about the same job as the 900 buck UUC, why am i paying more?

again, my bridgestone re750s, i paid 250 cdn for them, now i paid about 170 cdn for new kumhos, are the 750s better? not by much, and i saved 80 bucks EACH CORNER... that's 320 bucks i can pay for a brand new cool cellphone!

it always amaze me how many people would pay for premium name... and how many people believe 'premium' brand wont break... my mother's mercedes has had nothing but problems when she had it.... since she traded it for an A4, its been still relatively problem free, my mini's been thru lots of problems, when my friend's 500 buck legacy has had ZERO problems aside from rust...

so u tell me, is cheap stuff always worse??? no! all u people can care about is that i went cheap and that i deserve this because i went cheap? jesus.... ive been on nam for about a year and a half now... people just always love to pick apart anyone who is just a bit cheaper who cannot afford the 'precious' expensive stuff that you can afford...

im on a student budget.. i worked my butt off for this car... i still work my butt off so i can put cool things into the car! i didnt expect any sympathy, this is merely a warning to those who maybe on the same boat as me, but all u people care about is that i am cheap!

Old 10-10-2005, 04:45 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
i can already see most of you people... just cuze i have no money to pay for the 'good brand' stuff you all have, precious Sparcos, precious bilsteins! and i haev to settle for konis and eibachs... i dont deserve the same treatment?

typical..... typical of anyone with tons of money to look down on someone with none.... why not, one more person to brag and look down on... why not just step on everything else and hammer my mini because i was so cheap to it?

u people really really pisses me off... with all your 'pay what you get' philosophy, its not what i need right now.... i didnt expect any sympathy, i didnt expect a bunch of rich snobby mini tuners to say its my fault because i went with an inferior brand... and its not some inferior ebay brand either...

this is suppose to be just a warning, or at least give me some help in how to get my refund... but i see now this is necessary, as it seems all of you got so much money to spend to pay for what you claim as 'premium' brand...

so where are the recaro seat owners? why are people paying for bilsteins, when they can pay for moton or leda? i pay for what i can afford.... is it wrong? no... does it do everything your mini does? yes....

vouch me off nam... so typical.. u guys can go back to discuss your 'o i got this, its so nice, much better than anything else, and i paid alot of money for it, so respect me.' when it doesnt agree with your philosophy, you eye me as cheap, and not deserving...

Old 10-10-2005, 04:59 PM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
Old 10-10-2005, 05:03 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
u peopel just take it as a joke, dont u.... im the one with a broken seat, what's it got to do with you? just thought i warn everyone about it... u all just slam my claim, saying im cheap....

u dunt like the fact i speak so directly? go ahead, tell mark ferguson to kick me off nam... there, problem solved, me and my 'cheapness' wont be here, just pm him, tell him all about my vent, and ask him to kick me off! those who speak out always gets hated just because.... so typical.... everytime i post something negative, everyone always puts a blind eye.....

dont need no valium.... chances are people here would cause a heart attack and i'd die.... so happy! perhaps i need a coffin, not valium...

just cause i thought i post a clean message to tell people not to make the same mistake, u all just slam me for being cheap

Old 10-10-2005, 05:12 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Sorry to hear about the break. It doesn't matter what you paid for the seats. If they were represented to you as "street legal", then their product failed under normal use and you should be entitled to compensation. Best of luck

Old 10-10-2005, 05:22 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
Kyriian, I understand your point and didn't mean to come off with the "you got what you deserved" tone.

You're right in that sometimes you can get equal quality by forgoing the big name brand. Differentiating between quality mid-priced goods and cheaply made mid-priced goods can be next to impossible sometimes.

My overall feeling is that the demographic of the tuner market makes for a higher than normal number of manufacturers with large marketing departments and non-existent R&D.

Old 10-10-2005, 05:42 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Kyriian in looking at your mod list you took very few short cuts and have put together a nice car especially on a student budget. You have nothing to be " ashamed " about . Thanks for the warning on the SPW seats and I hope they stand by them for you .

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 10-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I say here here for those of us modding on student budgets . I'm here with you buddy...i hope things work out well :smile:

Old 10-10-2005, 05:57 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
apologies for the vent..... im going through alot of emotional problems at this stage of my life, both in and out of school... just breaking a set of 900 cdn seats arent part of what i forsaw....

thanks

Old 10-10-2005, 06:19 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kyriian
apologies for the vent..... im going through alot of emotional problems at this stage of my life, both in and out of school... just breaking a set of 900 cdn seats arent part of what i forsaw....

thanks
MAD respect for a job done well on a student budget! I'm with ya on that .

Old 10-10-2005, 06:43 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
kyriian - you're freaking over two people's opinions, one of whom shouldn't surprise anyone by butting in with no good input and trying to antagonize you. Of course you have the right to be pissed off and demand your money back. You're doing the right thing by realizing that the vendor who sold the seat to you isn't necessarily the one who deserves the chewing out. It's the manufacturer, who either sold you a screwup or is selling a bunch of people an inferior, dangerous product. I think that if you give your vendor a phone call, they will probably work with you to get you the refund you deserve. Sorry to hear of your troubles.