Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Carbon Fiber Question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 05:25 AM
xxTHIR13ENxx
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbon Fiber Question.

Hey peoples...
Quick question: can I get different-colored carbon-fiber?? I saw a M.Benz once with a carbon fiber hood, but it was gray/white colored, to mach the rest of the car.

I'm just asking because I'm thinking about getting the m7 splitter, but since my car has the trim body-color painted, and white roof/wheels, I don't think the dark color from the splitter would match the rest of the car... Is there any way to paint it or get it in a different color or anything??

I know it sounds like an odd question, but I'm just not familiar with CF.

Thank you,
Leo.

Old 10-10-2005, 05:28 AM
fj0
5th Gear
There is differentcolored CF but I don't think you can paint a black CF part to blue(example) CF, maybe you can tint it with a colored tint?

Old 10-10-2005, 06:45 AM
VoiD
6th Gear
Carbonfiber is all one color. Carbon color(dark anthracite) but the clear gel coating can be mixed with color to bring a slight colored effect.
What you saw is probably a different material. Carbon/Kevlar with dyed Kevlar. or Texalium(sp?) if it was shiny..

Old 10-10-2005, 07:09 AM
xxTHIR13ENxx
3rd Gear
Could have been.. Ok, so I guess my question is: if I get the splitter from M7, is there any way I could change the color of it? Red is the color in question, by the way.

Thank you for the replies,
Leo.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:26 AM
VoiD
6th Gear
you could sand off the coating and have it resprayed with a red-dyed coating but I think it's going to look crappy.
You could re-wrap the splitter with red kevlar but it might be expensive and you'd be better off just getting a custom one made.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:31 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
Correct me if I wrong, but I believe the M7 splitter is really fiberglass with a cf-looking material on top. You should be able to scuff the material and paint it.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pir8 97
Correct me if I wrong, but I believe the M7 splitter is really fiberglass with a cf-looking material on top. You should be able to scuff the material and paint it.
you are partly correct i believe? I think its fiberglass with REAL CF overlayed on top.

I dont know how sucessful you will be if you want it to be bright red, but i know of people who have spray a clearcoat/red mixture on hoods. The only problem with that is it really still looks black with a tiny hint of red, so if you want a blatant red, you are a bit out of luck.

You could always just paint it solid red, you dont always have to show the CF

Old 10-10-2005, 08:43 AM
xxTHIR13ENxx
3rd Gear
You could always just paint it solid red, you dont always have to show the CF
Ok, cool. But then how hard is it to "get rid of" the Carbon Fiber? Should I attempt it or just take it to a professional??

Thanks, guys.
Leo.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well you dont have to get rid of it. You can just paint on it like any other automobile surface

Whether or not YOU paint it is up to you and depends on your skill level of painting. I am an art major and am used to painting things in that scale and know the steps that go into prepping and stuff. If you know that stuff, you should be fine. If not, it wont cost much to take it to a pro.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:05 AM
xxTHIR13ENxx
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
You can just paint on it like any other automobile surface.
So you can pretty much paint it any color right on top of the Carbon Fiber?? I know it sounds like I'm stupid, but comes to CF, I really am. lol... I'm somewhat of an artist, too (Architecture major), but don't wanna try it and ruin it. I might just look into that, man.

Thanks,
Leo.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:28 AM
VoiD
6th Gear
you just need to primer on top and paint but it will hide any CF weaves.
I wonder if M7 could sell you a splitter in fiberglass form without the extra CF overlay for cheaper

Old 10-10-2005, 12:18 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Originally Posted by xxTHIR13ENxx
Ok, cool. But then how hard is it to "get rid of" the Carbon Fiber? Should I attempt it or just take it to a professional??

Thanks, guys.
Leo.
You don't have to.

The splitter is a fiberglass base with a CF top, which is then laquered with enough clear, that it is smooth. You can lightly sand it to tack up the surface, and then have it painted at a body shop. It does have a plastic trim cap around the edge that is black. I presume you could have Peter fabricate the splitter and send you the cap unmounted, then you can mount it after painting.

I would ask Peter about painting it as well. He'll no doubt have good tips.

Old 10-10-2005, 12:35 PM
GRENDEL
3rd Gear
Yes you can get colored carbon fiber. actually its carbon fiber weaved with colored kevlar (which is probably what you saw) check out sollerpaddles.com they sell the stuff. I got my order in 2 days at christmas. As for getting it formed into a splitter I imagine you could get one custom made but it will probably be $$$$$$ hope this helps