Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Lights 4 across grill

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
il install them if someone buys them! hehe

-josh

Old 11-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Old 11-05-2005, 12:35 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyprice
Still waiting for somebody to install and post pics of these
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...lack_Magic.jsp
Black magics are HUGE, like 7 1/2". If your going that big, you can get the Raylle 4000 Xenons at 9"!

I got outmotoring brackets as well with Hella FF200 fogs. Would love to got the Xenons Driving lights but no place to put them.

Old 11-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Well since others were showing their lights here are mine...

and here is my switch setup...

and NO they are not connected to my high beams... they are wired hot...

-Josh

Old 11-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear
Damn these are all sweet

I love the look of these lights. They are particularly badass on the black minis.
Problem is they just don't look quite right with the front plate (and here in NY they will ticket you, I've asked around), though wagnbat's fix is a great idea.

I'll probably go with the grill lights. Where would I go to find out if it's legal, the DMV maybe?
What sort of lights are people mounting on their grills...alta's, hellas, etc?

Old 11-05-2005, 02:41 PM
jaxmini
3rd Gear
Chips (no salsa)

Anybody with the low mounted lights having problems with stone chips?

Old 11-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
i haven had any problems... and i run without any protection... but yes I have ordered some caps for them that are clear.

-Josh

Old 11-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear
Mini-Madness

Anybody have an opinion on the Mini-Madness brackets? What sort of upper grill mounts are people using?

Old 11-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
i will if nobody has them... I should be installing them next weekend or the end of the week...

-Josh

Old 11-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
Just out of curiosity, how are these aimed? If I'm coming toward you will I be blinded? or do they just light 1' in front of the car? Since they are driving lights, I assume they have great distance. Can you do some adjusting once they are installed so they light up the sides (i.e. trees & ditches) and the other two looking straight?

I think it's a gorgeous mod, I would just hope that the functionality is there as well and not just for looks.

Do they make these in HID?

Old 11-05-2005, 04:31 PM
SpunkytheTuna
4th Gear
=Duck360198]Just out of curiosity, how are these aimed? If I'm coming toward you will I be blinded?
Oh, yeah, cuz I'm running driving lights down there. You'll be blinder than the illegitimate son of Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder. Driving lamps are long distance lamps, very bright and normally pretty tightly focussed, but not good to oncoming traffic. You could, of course, use a pair of fog lamps and a pair of driving lamps or two pair of fog lamps, or for that matter you could mount four stuffed ducks with internal neon lighting their eyes if you preferred. All of which would give different answers.

Since they are driving lights, I assume they have great distance. Can you do some adjusting once they are installed so they light up the sides (i.e. trees & ditches) and the other two looking straight?
Normally if you're running four of them (and AFAIK it's not legal to run with more than four lights illuminated on the front of the car at any one time in most states, which means that like a lot of the fun stuff on our cars the whole array is For Off-Road Use Only) two will be pointing straight ahead and the other two will either be turned in slightly (so they're effectively cross-eyed) or out slightly (so they're effectively wall-eyed) to illuminate the side of the road in curves. The choice to go around cross-eyed or wall-eyed is a much argued and unsettled decision which is as much religious and philosophical as it is technical, just like oil preference, nitrogen in tires, whether there's enough low test gas left in a single hose gas pump to matter, and which color is better. Fine for arguing about around a fire, but of little real functional importance.

I think it's a gorgeous mod, I would just hope that the functionality is there as well and not just for looks.

Probably, but you'll need to bring cubic money, cuz they'll be seriously spendy.

Old 11-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
well the alta rally lights are only adjustable up and down... but still illuminate the entire road infront of you which is goof for 85% of night driving

and the mini madness is adjustable left and right as well as up and down... these can be aimed toward the sides for tight corners aka the dragon and never leave the beam of your car!

yes anything really over 2 fogs not driving should not be done where you will see oncoming traffic...

-Josh

Old 11-05-2005, 05:31 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Nice light setup but I have never understood the function of having extra lights so low on a car other than for show.

The low extra lights are only show. You want to think they are rally lights and are supposed to be a functional lights, give me a break. Rally lights are placed high on a car to produce light on the road, not low to turn on and blind on coming drivers.

It may look all glam to have 4/8/97 or what ever lights down at ground level, but it doesn’t produce squat for lighting on the road which is what they are suppose to function for.

Sorry it’s just my take on all this low extra lights stuff.

There not rally lights, there not driving lights; there not anything you may think is from the true Mini what so ever. Glam away dudes and dudeess. You may look pretty for show, but if you are tiring to be functional you’ve lost it.

As for the “Classic Mini”, if this is what you want to copy and or imitate, look at photos of classics that raced. At no time will you see a photo of a racing Mini with rally lights below the center grill.

Functional lighting, not show.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:41 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While it my not work well with driving lights, fog lights, on the other hand, need to be down low to get under the fog and light up as much road as possible. Some yellow fog lights shining just below horizontal would probably work very well down there. Yellow lights don't blind oncoming traffic either. If I had the money, I'd run a couple yellow fogs on the lower grill and some nice long ranging driving lights on the top.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Duck360198
Just out of curiosity, how are these aimed? If I'm coming toward you will I be blinded? or do they just light 1' in front of the car? Since they are driving lights, I assume they have great distance. Can you do some adjusting once they are installed so they light up the sides (i.e. trees & ditches) and the other two looking straight?

I took some pics of the lightbeam patterns. Click pics for bigger, and click again for full size.
http://www.mappage.net/cmine/thumbna...lbum=21&page=2

Not much for side to side aiming, mostly tilt forward & back.

I find them useful on Maryland back roads. They light up the immediate area very well, and the distance. I don't consider them true rally lights either, but I do feel they're quite functional as night driving lights, in situations with no light.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:59 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sticky Wicket
I'll probably go with the grill lights. Where would I go to find out if it's legal, the DMV maybe?
What sort of lights are people mounting on their grills...alta's, hellas, etc?
Check the transportation laws in your state.

There are no Alta "lights" The kit Alta sells are made by some Australian company known for off-roading lights. Hellas are ALWAYS good. There are other brands like Marchel, Cibie but less well known.

Old 11-05-2005, 06:01 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
i will if nobody has them... I should be installing them next weekend or the end of the week...

-Josh
Your really adding FOUR more above? That is SO cool.

A bit over the edge but COOL

Old 11-05-2005, 06:05 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Duck360198

In theory, Fogs should be NO higher than 18". After all, the whole point of fogs is a very SHARP cutoff pattern that is very wide, like 130 degree

There are different kinds of driving lights: traditional ones, like the OEM MINIs, are a tighter pattern like your highs. Pencil Beams are about 5 percent spread for seeing WAY up the road like a lonely stretch of the desert. Driving lights should be as HIGH as possible, hence they are usually on the Grille. On the ROOF would be better like on Jeeps or whatever but probably not as pleasing to look at (except maybe for the original Paddy Hopkin Car).

YUP, they make Xenons. You can get some Monster Hella 4000 series in 9" round or the more traditional size Hella FF200s in Xenon, about $700.

As to adjustability, the Hella FF Series, the entire line, is fully adjustable in all dimensions.

SNDWAVE, Fogs are meant to be so low and work perfectly fine as intended since the OEM MINI fogs are pathetic.

WAGN, your light pattern probably works well for you but from the pics, they do look like very STRONG and BRIGHT Fogs! I can't really tell but you would know if they are really throwing light WAY down the road beyond your highs. Thats what they should be doing

Old 11-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
HID baby!

http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...=PIA8002/353.0

1 lamp, no wireing harness, HID

$800+

now thats a light!

-Josh

Old 11-05-2005, 06:12 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Way too expensive. Just go Hella FF200s in Xenon using the stock MINI Hella bracket kit! $700 or so for BOTH.

Old 11-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Your really adding FOUR more above? That is SO cool.

A bit over the edge but COOL
Yes 8... 4 under do WONDERS to illuminate the road ahead but they don't do much to the right and left. So the tops are for the right and left and the bottoms are for distance. Also after running for 20mins on my altas no roads where i don't see anyone and i flip back to regular lights I am amazed at how little light is cast by the normal headlamps... I am so anxious for my next 4!

-Josh

Old 11-05-2005, 06:14 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Yes 8..

-Josh
You got to post PICS! Ive been trying to convince the Brits, who love 4 on the grille, to go 8 and they think im "bonkers"

Hehe

Old 11-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
after i get them installed i will find a field somewhere and just see how bright these lights are... and the pattern i adjust them too! PICS TOO

God created the sun the brightest object
Man created the welding arc brighter than the sun
Battle Cattle put 8 100 watt lights on the front of his mini and said
"The sun doesn't have anything on me!!!"

-Josh

PS is 6th gear 1000 or 900 posts?

Last edited by Battle Cattle; 11-05-2005 at 06:19 PM. Reason: cant count
Old 11-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear
Bye bye

I'd be worried about xenons getting ripped off, though a combo of two pairs of xenons and hallogens would be a sweet set up.

Old 11-05-2005, 06:36 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
God created the sun the brightest object
Man created the welding arc brighter than the sun
Battle Cattle put 8 100 watt lights on the front of his mini and said
Wait, your putting on 100 watt bulbs. That is Illegal in every state. besides that, lets think about the AMPs your drawing. 100 watts requires 8.33 amps at 12V. You got 800 watts plus 110 for the Highs plus 110 for the lows if they are H7s. Thats 1020 watts or your going to draw 83 AMPS. S alternater is what, 105 Amps. No way. Not going to happen.

Sorry to rain on your parade, try the 55 watts and maybe.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Lights 4 across grill