Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Lights 4 across grill

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i will try it and see but i can kick my alta down to 55watt which will bring me under...or another battery which i could do...

-Josh

Old 11-05-2005, 06:43 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
for the driving lights, at any form of use, I prefer yellow, xenons are nice, but so pricey compared to the amount of usage in general, and yellow is the best application for fog, and they look real nice with the xenon headlights.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Thanks to this thread, I am looking into adding Hella FF200 HID's

Which would work along side my OEM HID and custom projector HID fog lights..

Hmmm, three pairs of xenon.. It will be like driving in the day time all the time

Old 11-05-2005, 08:36 PM
HotRodPilot
3rd Gear
Anyone know of pictures/products/installation of the 4 light bar into the grille in the upper part of the bumper. I saw a picture of one once, and I really liked it.

Old 11-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HotRodPilot
Anyone know of pictures/products/installation of the 4 light bar into the grille in the upper part of the bumper. I saw a picture of one once, and I really liked it.
yea i bet your thinking of here

http://www.mini-madness.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=83

Old 11-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
Has anybody heard of vision motorsport lights? I looked it up and didn't find anything.
I don't think the mini madness lights are on a bar. They look to be individually mounted with the black brackets pictured on that same page. Anybody have these?

Old 11-05-2005, 10:34 PM
HotRodPilot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Battle Cattle

Nope, the one I am thinking of is attached to the grile just below that. No where you have it but the grille between the two with the single slat(whatever you call those horizontal things).

Old 11-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear
Some freaky lights

www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/auto/minilights.htm

Can't imagine why he bothered.

Also check out the Hella rallye 4000 compact celis...verry sweet. Wonder how much they weigh?

Old 11-06-2005, 06:40 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Passat774
Which would work along side my OEM HID and custom projector HID fog lights..
You have xenon fogs? How do they actually do in the FOG? Not driving around in the dark but being used as they are meant to be used?

The reason I ask is because of this:

"Good (and legal) fog lamps produce white or Selective Yellow light, and use tungsten-halogen bulbs. Xenon or HID bulbs are inherently unsuitable for use in fog lamps, and blue or other-colored lights are also the wrong choice."

http://www.danielsternlighting.com

Something about that "inherently unsuitable" tell me that in foul whether they are not the best choice?

Old 11-06-2005, 06:45 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
There are no Alta "lights" The kit Alta sells are made by some Australian company known for off-roading lights. Hellas are ALWAYS good. There are other brands like Marchel, Cibie but less well known.
I'm pretty sure IPF is a Japanese company. They're made for, and distributed in Australia tho.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:01 AM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sndwave
The low extra lights are only show. You want to think they are rally lights and are supposed to be a functional lights, give me a break.
I use them an awful lot to be something that isn't functional. On a dark country road (which I drive on daily) they light it up like its daytime. They help me see the road ahead and they light up the sides of the roads enough so I have, on several occasions, seen deer getting ready to leap out into the road earlier than I would have with my regular high beams, so I was able to slow down earlier and thus able to miss them. They may not be in the 'ideal' rally light position, but they don't need to be from my experience. If they are on and someone is approaching, yes they will blind them but it is the driver's responsibility to make sure that they get turned off before that happens, and what lights could be added that wouldn't bling on-coming traffic? In my experience, even most fog lights are quite distracting to other drivers. No, they may not be "true" rally lights, but in looking at the ones that are used by real rally teams today, who would really want that on their car? While I do really like the way they look, I would not have gotten them if they weren't functional

Old 11-06-2005, 10:07 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MandaBoo
In my experience, even most fog lights are quite distracting to other drivers. ...
Fogs should NEVER be blinding or distracting to oncoming traffic. If properly aimed, they have a VERY hard cutoff, far lower than the low beams. The lens gives a very wide, but low, beam. Thats why fogs should never be higher than 18".

If your driving lights work good for you then I added some PIAA driving lights to my other car which I use, before the SUN comes up, on side road in conjunction with the lows because I have them aimed downward rather than Upward and out as your supposed to. I would bet your getting the same effect as me with your low lights (although your getting twice the light). Of course, having SIX lights on IS illegal is every state .... stay away from those fixit tickets!

Old 11-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Passat774
5th Gear
I spray painted the lower HID fogs with a spray tint yellow. They worked good and are a lot brighter than OEM fogs..

You have xenon fogs? How do they actually do in the FOG? Not driving around in the dark but being used as they are meant to be used?

The reason I ask is because of this:

"Good (and legal) fog lamps produce white or Selective Yellow light, and use tungsten-halogen bulbs. Xenon or HID bulbs are inherently unsuitable for use in fog lamps, and blue or other-colored lights are also the wrong choice."

http://www.danielsternlighting.com

Something about that "inherently unsuitable" tell me that in foul whether they are not the best choice?

Old 11-06-2005, 10:33 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
I spray painted the lower HID fogs with a spray tint yellow. They worked good and are a lot brighter than OEM fogs..
Ahh, sounds like a plan

Old 11-06-2005, 11:07 AM
kapps
6th Gear
Spunky, another question about the Out Motoring bracket... How far does it extend past the grill? I have the M7 grill which mounts a little farther outward than the stock one. I'm worried about clearance issues. It would have to make it at least out to the bumper above the grill. A pic from the side would be great.

Old 11-06-2005, 11:30 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kapps
Spunky, another question about the Out Motoring bracket... I'm worried about clearance issues. It would have to make it at least out to the bumper above the grill. A pic from the side would be great.
Post #28, right there, yes its sticks out.

Old 11-06-2005, 11:49 AM
kapps
6th Gear
Thanks for pointing that out. Since the pic is small, It's hard to tell where the bracket ends and the light base begins.

Old 11-06-2005, 03:25 PM
SpunkytheTuna
4th Gear
Spunky, another question about the Out Motoring bracket... How far does it extend past the grill? I have the M7 grill which mounts a little farther outward than the stock one. I'm worried about clearance issues. It would have to make it at least out to the bumper above the grill. A pic from the side would be great.
Don't think I have a side view pic on hand, but I'm also running the M7 lower grille and I don't have any interference. The Hellas are very thin lights, and that may be part of the reason that they clear so easily.

It did give me a moment's pause, though, having to cut two holes in my brandy-new grille for the light supports to pass through.

Old 11-06-2005, 03:38 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Thanks for pointing that out. Since the pic is small, It's hard to tell where the bracket ends and the light base begins.
OK, try this one

Old 11-06-2005, 03:44 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SpunkytheTuna
It did give me a moment's pause, though, having to cut two holes in my brandy-new grille for the light supports to pass through.
Yeah, that was my other question. How did you line it up to cut the grill?

chows4us, thanks for that other pic.

Old 11-06-2005, 04:15 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Fogs should NEVER be blinding or distracting to oncoming traffic...
Of course, having SIX lights on IS illegal is every state .... stay away from those fixit tickets!
Your right, they SHOULDN'T be distracting, but most people's are. I have been in front of many people that have their fog lights on and the reflection of the lights in my side mirror has been VERY blinding. Well, for that matter, most people's headlights aren't aimed very well either, but that's another issue.

As for 6 lights being illegal. They are, but any time they are on, no one else had better be around so you shouldn't have to worry too much about a cop seeing you

Old 11-06-2005, 04:21 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MandaBoo
They are, but any time they are on, no one else had better be around so you shouldn't have to worry too much about a cop seeing you

Just the other day I was on a side street, totally dark and a deer was running along side me on the grass. I slowed down and he ran parallel for a quarter mile before he found a place to take off through a fence up towards the HIGHWAY!

They are great for watching out for those critters

Old 11-07-2005, 07:06 AM
SpunkytheTuna
4th Gear
Yeah, that was my other question. How did you line it up to cut the grill?
I cheated. I installed the light mounts, then the bumper cover, measured the distance from the side and from the bottom for each of the light mounts, pulled the light mounting tubes (they just unscrew from the mounts on the face of the bumper), mounted the grille, repeated the measurements, cut undersized holes in the grille, checked the alignment of the holes to the mounting brackets with a piece of wire, made some small corrections, cut the grille, and screwed the mounting tubes back into the mounting brackets with red Loctite on them so they wouldn't move, and viola!

Actually, with the lights mounted there's only an inch and a half or so between the back of the lights and the grille, so it would be pretty unobtrusive if I'd blown the pass-through holes anyway. But it would be the sort of thing that would drive me nuts.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Could you please measure and let me know just how much room you have in inches.

I am looking to install HID driving lamps and have noticed that most are pretty thick.

If you could measure at the base along with the widest area to give my an idea of what kind of range I will need to work in..

Thanks for the help !!

Originally Posted by SpunkytheTuna
Don't think I have a side view pic on hand, but I'm also running the M7 lower grille and I don't have any interference. The Hellas are very thin lights, and that may be part of the reason that they clear so easily.

Old 11-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear
Could you please measure and let me know just how much room you have in inches.

I am looking to install HID driving lamps and have noticed that most are pretty thick.

If you could measure at the base along with the widest area to give my an idea of what kind of range I will need to work in..

Thanks for the help !!
So it sounds like the two main methods of attachment are the alta bar on the lover grill or the mini madness brackets or OEM for uppers. The light bars seem to accept 4 lights with max diam of about 6" and ? depth.
OEM lights, though small seem fairly deep, so it seems there would be little issue with room on grill lights, but unclear for lower grill.
How about weight? Some of the metal body and HID lights look fairly hefty. Anybody have a clue? Any vibration issues with the mini madness brackets?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Lights 4 across grill