Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Shift Knob...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 11:41 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift ****...

Okay I'm looking for a new shift **** and cannot decide which one is better, since I cannot post a poll I will manually talley them up .

Combat Evo

F-16 EVO

Or go for the [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]Whalen Shift Machine? I cannot find a sweet picture for it so i didn't post it.

HELP :(
[/size][/font]

Old 11-06-2005, 11:48 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you gotta find a nice ball ****.

i believe momo makes a nice ball, the ones that are handgrips dont go well with the mini interior.

lemme see if i can find a pic...

Old 11-06-2005, 11:52 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear

heres what i was looking for.

they sell a very nice replica of this **** at Autozone for about 15 dollars, its what i use.

Old 11-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Morales
4th Gear
Go for the Whalen. Have you ever seen a Whalen owner post a negative review? No. Why? Because it works.

I too questioned the intelligence of spending that much coin on a shifter. But I'm glad I did.

Old 11-06-2005, 01:50 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Morales
Go for the Whalen. Have you ever seen a Whalen owner post a negative review? No. Why? Because it works.

I too questioned the intelligence of spending that much coin on a shifter. But I'm glad I did.
or you could do the intelligent thing and invest in a pully before you buy a piece of dead weight, oh, i'm sorry, i mean shift ****.

Old 11-06-2005, 02:54 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
yes but the pulley will screw up the harmonization RICK! Seriously though the whalen with an alta short shifter, lowered to 5.5-5.75 inches is the way to go. You wouldn't believe how much smoother the shifts are. You'll find also that the MINI gearbox doesn't set up well for a handle shifter like the M3 does, it's too low in the car and too tight. (Believe me I took the **** of the shifter of an M3 at my dealer walked over to my car put it on and didn't like, all this while my dads salesman was watching!)

Just my 2 pennies

Old 11-06-2005, 03:14 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
or you could do the intelligent thing and invest in a pully before you buy a piece of dead weight, oh, i'm sorry, i mean shift ****.
Rick, not everyone cares about performance ... people have different priorities

Old 11-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Morales

Or is it that they realise that they have been taken for a ride and refuse to admit it and want to sucker as many others in on the same bum ride.

Buy a MOMO, they are lighter and improve the shifter action and feel over a heavy ****. Install the Ultrik Short Shift kit which keeps a stock length shifter inside(this shortens the distance, with the taller MOMO ****, your hand has to travel between the wheel and the ****) while reducing shifter throw by either 15% or 20%, I can't remember which. All without increasing shift effort.

Just look at a race car that still uses a manual shifter and observe where the shift **** is relative to the steering wheel. It is usually located near the 3 o'clock position and only a hands width from the wheel to make for quick shifts and less time spent with a hand off the wheel.

I just installed a wood Tall Ergo **** from MOMO on my SB/S '06 MCS. It is the same **** that I had on my '02 MCS for 37,000 smiles. Wood is cooler in the summer as it does not adsorb as much heat as a metal ****. Check out mine here http://www.mini2.com/galleries/showp...o/9983/cat/704

Old 11-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Tarzan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just ordered mine from Doug Whalen. It should be arriving in a couple of days. I asked him to shoot me a pic after engraving it and before sending it out to me:

Old 11-06-2005, 06:54 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bilbo-Baggins
Or is it that they realise that they have been taken for a ride and refuse to admit it and want to sucker as many others in on the same bum ride.

Buy a MOMO, they are lighter and improve the shifter action and feel over a heavy ****. Install the Ultrik Short Shift kit which keeps a stock length shifter inside(this shortens the distance, with the taller MOMO ****, your hand has to travel between the wheel and the ****) while reducing shifter throw by either 15% or 20%, I can't remember which. All without increasing shift effort.

Just look at a race car that still uses a manual shifter and observe where the shift **** is relative to the steering wheel. It is usually located near the 3 o'clock position and only a hands width from the wheel to make for quick shifts and less time spent with a hand off the wheel.

I just installed a wood Tall Ergo **** from MOMO on my SB/S '06 MCS. It is the same **** that I had on my '02 MCS for 37,000 smiles. Wood is cooler in the summer as it does not adsorb as much heat as a metal ****. Check out mine here http://www.mini2.com/galleries/showp...o/9983/cat/704
hey, ive seen this post somehwere else before....

Old 11-06-2005, 06:56 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
Looks great! Has MINIclo ever posted hers?

Originally Posted by Tarzan
Just ordered mine from Doug Whalen. It should be arriving in a couple of days. I asked him to shoot me a pic after engraving it and before sending it out to me:

Old 11-06-2005, 06:56 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Rick, not everyone cares about performance ... people have different priorities
if by priorites, you mean bling....

hey, i'm not saying the dont look great, but, as stated above, it does take more effort to get the **** moving than a light momo style ****.

besides, wouldnt you want your MOMO **** to match your MOMO wheel?

oh well, i guess if they couldnt give a CRAP () about performance, go for the whalen!

Old 11-06-2005, 06:59 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
if by priorites, you mean bling....

hey, i'm not saying the dont look great, but, as stated above, it does take more effort to get the **** moving than a light momo style ****.

besides, wouldnt you want your MOMO **** to match your MOMO wheel?

oh well, i guess if they couldnt give a CRAP () about performance, go for the whalen!
Are you having a bad day?

Old 11-06-2005, 06:59 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PurplePeopleEater
Are you having a bad day?
haha i like the on the end of that, nice touch

Old 11-06-2005, 07:01 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
haha i like the on the end of that, nice touch

Old 11-06-2005, 07:02 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PurplePeopleEater
hehe :smile:

Old 11-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am in the group of people that thought it was completely insane and stupid to pay $150 for a stinking shift ****.

Then I drove a MINI with one and was shocked at how much more pleasant shifting was. . . .

Now I'd only give it up if pried from my cold dead fingers. . .

But I certainly believe that a shift **** is a very personal thing: heavy or light, short shaft or long, its all a matter of personal preference!

Old 11-06-2005, 07:15 PM
115hp
5th Gear
Those of you that got ***** with set screws, do they work well on the stock shifter? In the photos I've seen, they don't look quite right (sorry if I'm ****). My old car had a shift **** with set screws that I loved, but I'd have to retighten it somewhat regularly.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:21 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
if it has setscrews and a collar the slides up from lower on the shaft to cover them up, you need to cut or grind off the ring that on the stock lever that stops the **** from going down any further.

on my Fidanza SS, there is no obstruction, and the shaft is smooth all the way down.

other than that, as long as you tighten them in a circular patter, it seats nicely and is square in all directions!

Old 11-06-2005, 07:24 PM
cycleguru
4th Gear
They light up

www.flameball.com They light up. Check out my gallery.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Tarzan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
For people who consider it insane to plunk down $150 for a Whalen Shift Machine, I feel like I have to explain myself.

Not everyone is broke, cheap, or frugal. I've been broke lots of times but I've never been cheap. If I care enough about something, I find a way to get the best quality item I can for it, even if it does cost more.
No short-cuts for my MINI to save a few duckets.

I believe the place to be thrifty is by getting the best possible deal you can on the best quality components, rather than buying cut-rate or imitation products.

My MINI is as much a passion and hobby as it is my primary transportation, and I don't mind spending the bucks to get the best there is for it.

I'm actually quite good at working great deals to save a little money. For example:
I got my JCW210 kit, installed, for $5211.82.
Window tinting for $120 installed.
JCW Wheels/tires for $900 plus shipping
JCW Strut Brace for $260 shipped (versus $380 quoted)

Besides, the last time I went to the movies, I spent about $40 for two tickets, two popcorns, two drinks... so a Whalen Shift Machine is less expensive than going out to the movies three or four times.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:47 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
well, i seem to still see a MOMO part as the highest quality, as far as ***** and steering wheels go.

covered in leather an alacantera, some CF in certain cases, all for about the same price as the whalen. and i wouldnt have to think twice about buying one of those....

Old 11-06-2005, 09:52 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
so it sounds like everyone like the whaldens... Sigh, guess I have to find a custom image to have it done.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:16 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear

Heres the **** i got from autozone. This is the one that lights up. the other one is more of a broze metal, and it has a carbon fiber vinyl wrap where my black mesh is at.

i just took out all the lighting crap and closed it back up. you can see how blatant of a ripoff of the MOMO this one is!

Old 11-07-2005, 12:29 AM
kramseib
3rd Gear
Received my **** from Doug Whalen about 6 months ago. I love it. I found a mini crown royal bag to put over it during the winter and summer months

I've got the U.S. Air Force logo on it.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Shift Knob...