Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Broke my gas cap cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 02:01 PM
jpsmini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke my gas cap cover

I ordered a chrome gas cap cover for my MC. The body colored one came off very easily...just a turn toward me. I then put the chrome one on & broke one of the three clips that holds it on. It does stay in place, but not very well. One easy turn toward the car & it comes off! I'm afraid that if I even wash the car & turn the chrome gas cap to the right, it's going to just pop off. What do I do now?

You think I should put some super glue on it? Any ideas?

Old 11-07-2005, 02:05 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
Not superglue, but a 5 minute epoxy or something similar that will be very strong should do the trick.

Old 11-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, 5 minute epoxy or similar should make sure it never comes off again!

Old 11-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since you already have two clips holding it I'd think epoxy is a bit of overkill. Also if you ever want to take it off that won't happen with epoxy on there. I'd recommend that you use some GE silicone seal. Either clear or black.

Chuck

Old 11-07-2005, 07:09 PM
jpsmini
1st Gear
Ya, I'm afraid to use epoxy since I may want to take off if it scratches or something (it already has these marks on it that I can't seem to rub off).

What would hold it in place good but still give me the option of taking it off if I wanted to?

I also think I put a little scratch in the car when opening the cap door too far, trying to secure it. Damn. Only one week old. What's the best way of taking care of that. I think it's a pretty small scratch...could I just buff it out?

Old 11-07-2005, 07:14 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
man, what is it with you an crappy luck?

that internal gascap part with the clips isnt very expensive, and classic shouls have one in stock. go up and ask for it, its probably not more than 30 bucks or so.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jpsmini

What would hold it in place good but still give me the option of taking it off if I wanted to?
Duct Tape

I can't find the actual price for the part number, but I do not think that the hinge mechanism is very expensive, and I know it is easy to replace (The "S" version sells for about $85 dollars new including the whole door and fuel filler assembly)

Old 11-07-2005, 07:35 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
Yeah--- Duct Tape! It gives you that racing look we are all after. Totally Nascar

But seriously the silicone seal sounds like a good idea if you don't want to replace it with a new one.

Sorry about the bad luck.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:37 AM
jpsmini
1st Gear
Bad luck or stupidity?

Well, I just pushed too hard when installing the chrome gas cap. But I put a piece of double-sided 3M tape there & that seems to be holding it nice & tight, but will also allow me to remove it if necessary. I just wonder now if that chrome gas cover is too much, too big or something. Does the chrome piece that actually screws in doable on a MC? That may be another option for me.

Regarding the scratch I put in there...(another stupid thing playing with the chrome gas cover in the dark!)...now this may sound stupid, but could I use a dark blue magic marker (permanent) & just carefully dab it in where you can see the slim silver coming through? Or should I just bite the bullet & have it repaired professionally, like at my Mini dealer? I have a Space Blue MC.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Double sided foam tape....great idea!!! As far as the scratch goes I'd try the blue marker. What have you got to lose? Better yet you might want to get a paint pen & try that. Good luck.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/pai...directions.htm

Chuck