Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Front Splitter

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005 | 06:29 PM
MINICHEF
6th Gear
Looks Great!

I Just Installed My M7 Splitter Today. Love The Look. Havent Had Chance To Feel The Difference Yet.
Hey Red Fury Is That An M7 Super Scoop Or Another Brand? Looks Nice.

Old 11-24-2005 | 06:06 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINICHEF
Looks Great!

I Just Installed My M7 Splitter Today. Love The Look. Havent Had Chance To Feel The Difference Yet.
Hey Red Fury Is That An M7 Super Scoop Or Another Brand? Looks Nice.
M7 ...ALL the WAY !!!!

INJECTORS, ThermO-stat, TB, OCC ..... SCOOP and Splitter

Old 11-24-2005 | 07:49 AM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Isn´t the M7 Splitter center fiberglass? I´m almost positive i read somewhere the the M7 Splitter isn´t pure CF, the core of the splitter is fiberglass and then covered in CF... Maybe if it was pure CF it wouldn´t be as flimsy...

Old 11-24-2005 | 12:36 PM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
tracked Minis

Awesome post TonyB. Great to see all those mod. Great job guys and keep it up. I ran into the tire wall this past weekend, right front tire bead came off the rim, half of the M7 front splitter was under the car and it looked pretty bad but after removing the splitter from below and discovered it didn't break at all. This is one tough CF splitter

Old 11-24-2005 | 01:46 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 02///MCS
Isn´t the M7 Splitter center fiberglass? I´m almost positive i read somewhere the the M7 Splitter isn´t pure CF, the core of the splitter is fiberglass and then covered in CF... Maybe if it was pure CF it wouldn´t be as flimsy...
Not sure, but it doesn't move once you have the metal suspension supports in place ....

Old 11-24-2005 | 01:57 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RED FURY
Not sure, but it doesn't move once you have the metal suspension supports in place ....
It has a fiberglass center and CF fibers laid on top, I'm pretty sure, but there is a reason:

If it was pure CF, it would likely shred/crack when hit by just about anything (like a parking lot curb ). That would completely suck for a road piece, ya know? The fiberglass allows it to bend a bit, hence it can recover from trauma . I am not sure how a completely fiberglass piece would work, but remember it was designed to be CF...

Old 11-24-2005 | 01:58 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
[QUOTE=02///MCS]Isn´t the M7 Splitter center fiberglass? I´m almost positive i read somewhere the the M7 Splitter isn´t pure CF, the core of the splitter is fiberglass and then covered in CF... Maybe if it was pure CF it wouldn´t be as flimsy...[/QUOTE

25k miles , two off roads at Willow Springs and its still on Flimsy my A$$

Randy
m7 tuning

Old 11-24-2005 | 03:06 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
=0)

Old 11-24-2005 | 03:18 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
[QUOTE=maxmini]
Originally Posted by 02///MCS
Isn´t the M7 Splitter center fiberglass? I´m almost positive i read somewhere the the M7 Splitter isn´t pure CF, the core of the splitter is fiberglass and then covered in CF... Maybe if it was pure CF it wouldn´t be as flimsy...[/QUOTE

25k miles , two off roads at Willow Springs and its still on Flimsy my A$$

Randy
m7 tuning
Well this still doesn't say its not flimsy... just that it stays on. Now the only type of front splitter that I would ever buy is like rpterson's... not a chincy one like M7s (yea I am saying that cuz they have nothing to back it up... except what I posted above).

Old 11-24-2005 | 03:38 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
Well this still doesn't say its not flimsy... just that it stays on. Now the only type of front splitter that I would ever buy is like rpterson's... not a chincy one like M7s (yea I am saying that cuz they have nothing to back it up... except what I posted above).
I'm confused....what makes it bad? For street use, any rigid splitter that isn't bulletproof will desintegrate over time. I can't see using anything but a splitter which will give on the street. Some even seem to say that it does well/adds downforce on the track. I can't claim to have driven with one, but I tend to believe those who I've heard it from.

Again, a rigid splitter is a TRACK-ONLY mod. I used to think it would be sweet to have an all CF splitter, until I heard from people who had one custom-made and then had it crack/destroy itself.

In my opinion, knowing persons beside Randy who have had a little "scare" or two with M7 splitters and emerged with it intact says ABSOLUTELY that it is sturdy. I mean, hitting gravel/walls/whatever at 60+ mph is ridiculously devastating. I "ouch" just thinking about it.

Old 11-24-2005 | 03:42 PM
maxmini
6th Gear

So lets see we have a item that stays on the car , does't break and makes a noticeable difference at any speed over 80 mph. What more are you looking for? 100% CF? bad idea ! Just ask almost any Hamman splitter owner how long theirs held up and it is a lot less functional than ours as it is too far recessed. The fact that ours flexes by design does not equate to flimsy, or even further from the truth, " chincy " . As for rpterson's splitter that is a beautiful track piece but unlike ours has to be moved up 4 inches to live on the street making it safe but largley in effective in that posistion. We didnt want to have our customers keep a tool kit in the car Of course you have your rite to an opinion but as you can see from the testimonials of people who have actually used the splitter, you are in the minority. Normally I would have taken exception but it is just a slow day waiting for the turkey to cook. Have a good one .

Randy
m7 tuning

Old 11-24-2005 | 03:58 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini
Of course you have your rite to an opinion but as you can see from the testimonials of people who have actually used the splitter, you are in the minority. Normally I would have taken exception but it is just a slow day waiting for the turkey to cook. Have a good one .

Randy
m7 tuning
yes i do... but not saying I don't like your other products just not... this one... If people like them by all means buy them up... its just not for me...and wanted to inform people on my views which is i guess kinda poking at M7s splitter. Now get back to your turkey before you burn it and blame it on me.

-Josh

Old 11-24-2005 | 04:08 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
yes i do... but not saying I don't like your other products just not... this one... If people like them by all means buy them up... its just not for me...and wanted to inform people on my views which is i guess kinda poking at M7s splitter. Now get back to your turkey before you burn it and blame it on me.

-Josh
No worries You have a good holiday and wash the black beauty !
BYW did you use the 3m tape which was mentioned in the " blackout " thread to do your chrome mid body strip? That is what I used and it was a amazing product for under $20.

Randy
m7 Tuning

Old 11-24-2005 | 04:10 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini
No worries You have a good holiday and wash the black beauty !
BYW did you use the 3m tape which was mentioned in the " blackout " thread to do your chrome mid body strip? That is what I used and it was a amazing product for under $20.

Randy
m7 Tuning
heck no I am a cheap bastard...

I used some 3m electrical tape! like $3!! Oh yea and Lucy isnt having a good holiday... her starter died...

-Josh

Old 11-24-2005 | 04:13 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
yea starters dead and i have an appoinment on friday to get her fixed! hopefully I can start her tomorrow morning otherwise roadside assistance will be picking my Lucy up again 2 times in 2 weeks... first time was a hole in my radiator

-Josh

Old 11-24-2005 | 04:27 PM
MSFIT
|
6th Gear
anyway...back to front splitter...there is nothing for the aero kit huh?

Old 11-24-2005 | 04:36 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
The short answer is YES someone mounted our splitter on a aero kit. How he did it I do not know as we have not done it personally. He was based in San Diego and it was a red mini S. There was some chat on NAM about this a few months ago and even some posted photos . I will see if i can find it for you .

randy
m7 Tuning

Old 11-24-2005 | 04:47 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
that would really help, because if I see that is possible, I will buy one.

Randy, how come you guys never thought about the aero kit, man?

Old 11-24-2005 | 05:47 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
It's always possible. Just depends how creative you can be. I don't know much about who works for M7, but if they had a mechanical engineer designing their products then I'm sure it would be fairly simple to come up with a modification to fit the aero kit. The splitter doesn't seem like a very complex part. If you have the aero kit and want a splitter then I guess you could buy M7s and modify it to work, or you could have your own made out of fiberglass and painted(it won't look as pretty as the carbon fiber laminate, but who will really notice when it's all scraped up). I don't really see the point in purchasing something that will need to be modified, so I would probably make my own custom one if I had the aero kit and wanted a splitter. That's my opinion...I don't have the aero kit, but I do like the look of front splitters and may consider the M7 splitter for my car someday. I think it's 95% at least just looks, since most of the performance gains wouldn't really be noticed on the street. It does look cool though.

Old 11-24-2005 | 05:56 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
hey weezer,

i know you are an engineer, why don't you design something, we can find a place to manufacture it, make a business out of it seriously, do you think you could draw something?

Lemme know

Old 11-24-2005 | 06:33 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
hey, the both of u belong to the same gang!

' weezer2282 ' and ' ariercetinberk'.......same sig. below

..........:smile: ..........

Originally Posted by ariercetinberk
that would really help, because if I see that is possible, I will buy one.

Randy, how come you guys never thought about the aero kit, man?
Once u get it in ur hands u will see how to mount it!!

Old 11-24-2005 | 06:38 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
joker,

1. yeah, both of us are from San Antonio TX, and the same club, good friends
2. that silly comment ju made, why don't you have them send me one, so i could figure out if it works or not?
3. ju haf a teerad under off-topic, are you ignoring us?

Originally Posted by joker
' weezer2282 ' and ' ariercetinberk'.......same sig. below

..........:smile: ..........

Once u get it in ur hands u will see how to mount it!!

Old 11-24-2005 | 06:43 PM
rpterson
4th Gear
The M7 spliter is a good spliter. I've seen the one on Randy's and others and they have stood up extremly well. If it was made of two layer of CF it would shatter when hit. That's what good CF products do, look at any Champ car or IRL car when they hit a wall.

The M7 splitter needs the FG middle to make it durable. If weight is of concern and you have the $$ go all CF, but be prepared to replace it often.

Our splitter not only goes from in front of the car but also serves as the underpan as it goes under the car to the center of the front axles. To remove, the the whole bumper and splitter are removed as one piece. For a street car not quite as practicable as the M7 unit.

When I drive on the street I have to watch out for curbs and wheel bumper. You learn to give plenty of distance with such things. But I've been hit twice in the front racing and the only damage has been a broken turn buckle.

Old 11-24-2005 | 07:43 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ariercetinberk
hey weezer,

i know you are an engineer, why don't you design something, we can find a place to manufacture it, make a business out of it seriously, do you think you could draw something?

Lemme know
I think I could come up with something. I would just need to study your bumper and my bumper a bit, so maybe we could come up with one that works for both stock and aero bumpers. The hardest part would probably be finding a place to make it and choosing the material. It could be made out of aluminum, fiberglass, plastic, and lots of other things. CF probably wouldn't be the best choice. Sounds like a fun little project...something to do afterwork. I could even do stress analysis on it.:smile:

Old 11-24-2005 | 07:47 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
i am in

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Front Splitter