Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Removing Dash Face

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 07:32 AM
MiniS AZ
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing Dash Face

I want to paint my dash face black to match my exterior. Is there an instruction thread that shows how to remove it? I searched but couldn't find anything.

Old 11-15-2005, 07:48 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What year is your MINI?

Old 11-15-2005, 09:50 AM
MiniS AZ
3rd Gear

Old 11-15-2005, 09:56 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
then most of them are held on by brass looking screws on the underside. once those are off the pieces just pull off. The airbag piece requires the top dash to come off and the retaining bold must be taken off to get it off. to remove the top dash there are side panels with a screw behind each one and then 2 screws over the center dash vents beside the hazard and dimmer buttons. A torx must be used for all these screws

Old 11-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Note that the center dash piece is the only one that has slots at the top. If you just pull, it WILL come off, but you break the plastic slots. Don't ask how I know.
After pulling the bottom fasteners out, you have to shimmy the top of it over the two little tabs on the dash fascia. You can't really see them, but they are there.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:12 PM
mciri
2nd Gear
Hi gang...

I also would like to have a painted dash. I was speaking with a fella over at a local body shop today, and he indicated that removing the cover over the airbag would probably require a reset. He was worried that he would not be able to do this.

Any advice? Is he correct? I don't have a Mini Dealer within 900+ miles, so I don't wanna get into too much difficulty.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by mciri
Hi gang...

I also would like to have a painted dash. I was speaking with a fella over at a local body shop today, and he indicated that removing the cover over the airbag would probably require a reset. He was worried that he would not be able to do this.

Any advice? Is he correct? I don't have a Mini Dealer within 900+ miles, so I don't wanna get into too much difficulty.
]

the cover on the air bag has NO effect on the air bag light....I have painted quite a few now...

Old 01-16-2006, 04:28 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-16-2006, 05:01 PM
mciri
2nd Gear
Excellent! Thanks, Tuls....

Is it as easy as it sounds, or is there anything special I should wach out for?

Old 01-16-2006, 06:57 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mciri
Hi gang...

I removed my airbag panel cover to paint it, and did not require any reset.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:14 PM
blalor
6th Gear
How is this process different for '05s? There's only three dash pieces, now.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:23 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by blalor
How is this process different for '05s? There's only three dash pieces, now.

I have an 2005 S, and the process was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The only screws you have to take out are the screws holding the speedometer above the steering wheel in place. You do not even have to take out the top dash. All three panel pieces just pop off with some force.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:19 PM
amarzano
1st Gear
I have a 2006 and am getting ready to replace the dash pieces. Does anyone have the specific steps or instructions? Just a bit nervous..

I don't have a speedo above the wheel??

Thanks!

Alex

Old 04-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by amarzano
I have a 2006 and am getting ready to replace the dash pieces. Does anyone have the specific steps or instructions? Just a bit nervous..

I don't have a speedo above the wheel??

Thanks!

Alex
the mostly all just pop off...take the tach off...it's 2 torx screw...and there are four torx under the covers on the end of the dash under some covers...that will help to let up some tention...and they should just pop right off!

Old 04-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Well they changed the panels in 05 I spent a good hour plus weaseling out the center piece only to later read I was supposed to remove the top of the dash first.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
See I foudn the 05 and up is NOT to remove the top cause it's very different...and isn't nessisary..buuuuut maybe they changed it again

Old 04-22-2006, 01:31 PM
amarzano
1st Gear
Let me expand on this for any other 2006 MCS owners. Here is what I had to do to remove the dash panels.

Start on the Passenger side!
- Open Glove box. You can now get your fingers under the panel.
- Pry the bottom of panel. The snaps are located on the extreme lower edges of the panel. (If you know where the snaps are that makes it easier to know where to pry) It takes quite a bit of effort to pop the snaps free.
- Then pry the top snaps.

Drivers Side!
- Remove the Tach housing from Dash by removing the 2 Torx head screws behind the tach.
- Remove the connector from bottom of the Tach. Place tach in a safe place
- Loop Rubber gasket over Tach mounting plate. This will be inside the plastic cover. You will also have to loop it over the tach connector / wire.
- Pry the snaps at the extreme corners of the panel (left and right).
- Pry the top snaps.

Center Unit!
- The center unit is 2 pieces. The painted portion (bottom) and a black un-painted portion that surrounds the vents and speedo/Nav. Some suggest that these come apart seperately. This was NOT my experience. The snaps to take the bottom portion off are NOT accessable from the front. I removed both pieces as a unit.
- Remove the 2 Torx screws at the top of the unit (near the Emergency Flasher and dimmer *****).
- Remove the Chrome trim from the Flasher and Dimmer ***** (if you have them..). These items pull out towards you.
- Pry the snaps at the bottom of the panel (extreme lower corners).
- The panel will now remove with both Vents (eyeballs and trim) and Speedo / Nav Chrome Trim (if you have it..).
- You will want to pry out the bottom portion first and the ease out the top edge (be careful around the torx screw holes! They have a part that goes under the dash pad). Although you do not need to remove the top dash pad, the edge of ALL panels fit under the dash pad. Be careful when re-installing to not mar the edge of the dash pad.
- You can now remove the Top (black) portion from the bottom (Painted portion), by prying 2 tabs on the bottom outside near the vents.

Re-Installing...

- Reverse above. Start with the Center panel - since the other two sit on-top of it's lip. Becareful about the top edge of the panels marring the Dash Pad. Remember - these panels have a lip that slips UNDER the dash pad.

- When re-installing the Tach - remember to work the rubber gasket under the Tach plate and run the Tach Connector/ wire thru the gasket.

Whew! Hope that you did not just cause a bunch of rattles!!

All Done now!!

Alex