Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Convert useless cupholder into useful change holder

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005 | 12:31 PM
Yucca Patrol
|
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Convert useless cupholder into useful change holder

Found this little thingy at (gasp!) Walmart among the various assortment of crappy plastic automotive accessories! Made by Bell. It comes the size of a can of soda but the bottom part is removeable to reveal a secret storage compartment. I removed the Bell logo, tossed away the bottom secret compartment, and was pleased to find that the change holder fit perfectly flush inside the cupholder

Not bad for about $3

Old 11-19-2005 | 12:34 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Oh how cool!

I use my ashtray for my change I do find myself digging for certain amounts quite a bit though.

Old 11-19-2005 | 01:14 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
In my part of town, little things like coins in plain sight will attract the thieves. Nice and neat install though.

Old 11-19-2005 | 01:38 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Funk_Flex
In my part of town, little things like coins in plain sight will attract the thieves. Nice and neat install though.
Same here, leave a quarter visible and you'll need a new window.

Old 11-19-2005 | 01:45 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
Originally Posted by zrwon
Same here, leave a quarter visible and you'll need a new window.

Old 11-19-2005 | 04:31 PM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
I got one at Wally World also, but didn't want to admit it. I thought it would be clever to hide a dollar or two under mine, but rapidly realized you have to use your teeth to get the thing out of the cup holder. Try THAT at 70 mph.

And no, my teeth are not removable.

yet...

Old 11-19-2005 | 05:01 PM
Yucca Patrol
|
Originally Posted by Rev. Limiter
. . . .but rapidly realized you have to use your teeth to get the thing out of the cup holder. . . .
If you do not have the quarter slot full, you can slip your finger inside it and then you'll have the leverage to pull it right out. . . .

Old 11-19-2005 | 05:51 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
can't resist......

Must get in car and proceed to Wally World. Great find Yucca! For those of us without the arm rest this is great.

Old 11-19-2005 | 05:53 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
What are we supposed to do with the pennies?

Old 11-19-2005 | 05:54 PM
Yucca Patrol
|
The only actual complaint my wife has had about her new Cooper has been "I wish it had a change holder".

Now I will have to go back and get one for my MINI!

Old 11-19-2005 | 05:55 PM
Yucca Patrol
|
Originally Posted by PurplePeopleEater
What are we supposed to do with the pennies?
Pennies are supposed to be left in the "take a penny, leave a penny" cup. Or if you consider that being wasteful with money and want to do something good with your pennies, throw them out the window at tailgaiting SUV's!

Old 11-19-2005 | 05:57 PM
Risu
6th Gear
Sweet find. I have been dissapointed in the lack of an organized coin tray, I use the cup under the E-brake. Now if I can just work myself up to going into a wal-mart...

Old 11-19-2005 | 06:00 PM
Yucca Patrol
|
Originally Posted by Risu
Now if I can just work myself up to going into a wal-mart...
For those of you who are philosophically opposed to Wal-Mart, I am rebadging and selling them as the "MINI-Penny Cup-Holder Conversion Kit".

Considering standard MINI aftermarket accessory prices, I'll have them delivered to your door with free shipping for only $40!

Old 11-19-2005 | 06:09 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I have

the same type of thing that I found at Target. They had 3 or 4 options. I don't really need a change holder so I went for the one that has a foam insert to hold a cell phone. Since I don't allow anyone to eat or drink in my car then I may buy the coin one for the other holder.
Annette

Old 11-19-2005 | 06:16 PM
eh0013
2nd Gear
I bought mine at Target about a month ago. I did keep the bottom part as storage for pennies. It may sit higher with the bottom part but to me, it doesn't look too bad. Pennies are nice to give out to drive through anyway:smile: .

Old 11-19-2005 | 06:26 PM
umberto
6th Gear
I use the ash tray insert for coins, and put a light that turns on when you open the ash tray lid...quite nice

Old 11-19-2005 | 06:28 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
Originally Posted by umberto
I use the ash tray insert for coins, and put a light that turns on when you open the ash tray lid...quite nice
I am confused about the light and how it works...........sounds good......explain more?

Old 11-19-2005 | 06:44 PM
Ozbone
3rd Gear
Yup, I got one several weeks ago but I kept the bottom half to hold on to pennies.

Old 11-19-2005 | 06:49 PM
umberto
6th Gear
the light in the ash tray insert...great idea, but not my idea...it was I believe Kenchan's idea....I pressed a LED light from Radio Shack into the recessed slot in the inside sidewall of the ash tray and drilled a hole for the little wires and connected them to two watch batterries taped to the outside wall of the insert and it all fits neatly into our useless cupholder...I also ran a micro burglar alarm magnetic contact switch and pressed that switch neatly into the other recessed slot in the inside wall of the ash tray insert and ran those wires through the drilled holes to the outside wall to the batterries....the contact came with a magnet with sticky tape and I taped the magnet on to the inside of the lid.....so open the lid and circuit is closed and the light come on.....close the lid, and the magnet goes near the contact switch and opens the circuit so the light goes out....then I made a ittle shade over the top of the LED so the light goes sideways and down into the ash tray on to the coins instead of up into your eyes...I made the shade out of a little piece of aluminum foil covered by black electrical tape so it look pretty good

I go on the Mass Turnpike a lot so I reach for the coins a lot...same old batterries have lasted 6 months so far

Old 11-21-2005 | 01:27 PM
Wesmonster
3rd Gear
Get a Type-S from Pep Boys...

I just picked up a similar gizmo from Pep Boys made by a company called Type-S that makes similar interior accessories like Bell. This one fits perfectly in the front cup holder and sits about 2" above the lip of the holder and does Quarters, dimes, nickels, & pennies.

Old 11-21-2005 | 01:29 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Wesmonster
I just picked up a similar gizmo from Pep Boys made by a company called Type-S that makes similar interior accessories like Bell. This one fits perfectly in the front cup holder and sits about 2" above the lip of the holder and does Quarters, dimes, nickels, & pennies.
PENNIES TOO? off to Pep Boys........................I already made Yucca dig the bottom part of mine out of the trash

Old 07-26-2006 | 11:31 PM
CynMini
6th Gear
I lay a microfiber towel under my rubber mat in the passeger footwell. When I have change I flip up the mat and lay the change flat on the microfiber towel. That way the change doesn't dirty up the carpet and no one will breakin to get the change, because they can't see it.

Old 07-27-2006 | 12:21 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I just use the ash tray too... it holds a few bucks and has saved my life a few times. Plus, it closes.

Old 07-27-2006 | 04:33 AM
umberto
6th Gear
my previous post explained how I put an LED light in the ash tray powered by lil hearing aid radio shack batteries with a magnetic contact so that when the lid is closed the light shuts off...same batteries about a year old now.....last week I went on the Mass Pike on the way to a red sox game during daylight and I left the lid open by mistake at the toll booth so the light was on for the whole time...about 4 hours.....the light still works fine....those LED's must draw next to nothing

Old 07-27-2006 | 05:43 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
That means I'd have to make a trip to wal-mart.... No thanks...

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Convert useless cupholder into useful change holder