Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Need help with a graphic,...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 02:56 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with a graphic,...

Hi all, I posted a while back about a source for "Visor Disguisors" for the MINI. As I stated, a very common first mod for the PT people was to cover the hideous airbag warnings on the visors with a sticker with a PT logo on it. I found out that no one currently makes such an item for the MINI! Phil at Mini Pirates contacted me and offered to come up with something to offer to the US MINI contingent. The problem is that apparently the models in Europe don't come with this sticker (a less litigious society ).
I have given him the measurements but I'm hoping someone with some graphic experience out there can give him more precise measurements as well as the info on the radius on the corners.
If you can, just PM either me or Phil and let us know.
Thanks,
Annette

Old 11-23-2005, 03:06 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BoCRon
As I stated, a very common first mod for the PT people was to cover the hideous airbag warnings on the visors with a sticker with a PT logo on it.
Why not just peel it off?

Old 11-23-2005, 03:10 PM
namwob
5th Gear
Ditto, thats why nobody has felt the need to do it.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:14 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
The ones on the visor don't exactly just peel off (at least not on mine). You have to work on it. Yucca soaked paper towels in rubbing alcohol and left them pressed to the visors for some time, then scraped it off carefully. I believe he found some guidance on this site somewhere. He is sleeping. When he wakes up, I will ask him to respond. :smile:

Old 11-23-2005, 03:16 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PurplePeopleEater
He is sleeping. When he wakes up, I will ask him to respond. :smile:
Huh? Its the middle of the day ... at least in my part of the Glen.

What you do to that guy?''

I still say peel the things off.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:16 PM
namwob
5th Gear
Old 11-23-2005, 03:17 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Huh? Its the middle of the day ... at least in my part of the Glen.

What you do to that guy?''

I still say peel the things off.
It is 5:17 here. He worked hard all day baking pies (not kidding). (back to the topic at hand)

Old 11-23-2005, 03:18 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Well,

From what I've read, they don't just peel off. It leaves a pretty big mess and even after some serious work trying to clean it up you can still see where it was. There are multiple threads that go on about what a pain it is, removing the visor to start with, and then which solvent to use, and what color interiors are damaged by which solvent, etc.
Anyway, I put visor disguisors on my PT visors almost 5 years ago and it took about 30 seconds and they still look great today
Annette

Old 11-23-2005, 03:19 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
It is 5:17 here. He worked hard all day baking pies (not kidding). (back to the topic at hand)
Wow, you trained him right

Oh, the paint thinner thing ... those stickers. Never see them so whats the point? I still dont get it.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:26 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
From what I've read, they don't just peel off. It leaves a pretty big mess and even after some serious work trying to clean it up you can still see where it was. There are multiple threads that go on about what a pain it is, removing the visor to start with, and then which solvent to use, and what color interiors are damaged by which solvent, etc.
Anyway, I put visor disguisors on my PT visors almost 5 years ago and it took about 30 seconds and they still look great today
Annette
We didn't remove the visor, and we don't have any bits left or mess. It was just required patience. I was very pleased with the results, but I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :smile: Could be a good opportunity for fun decoration.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:27 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Wow, you trained him right

Oh, the paint thinner thing ... those stickers. Never see them so whats the point? I still dont get it.
You do see them.........they stare down at you when the visors are up?

Old 11-23-2005, 03:31 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
You do see them.........they stare down at you when the visors are up?
Really? Hmm, I got to drive that car more often cause I dont remember seeing them. Then again, maybe thats because your mind is trained not see them?

Old 11-23-2005, 03:33 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Hmmm,

Well it must be the interior designer in me. It's like walking in a beautiful room and someone has left the cellophane on the lampshades. I can't get past the thing that's glaringly out of place, ie bright yellow warnings everytime I get in/out of the MINI!
I have a seperate minor issue too. I have a very minor "condition" called Reynaud's Syndrome and basically it means my time messing around with the car in the cold is non-existent. Reynaud's is a harmless but very annoying condition that when my fingers/toes get chilled the circulation completely shuts down. They turn completely white and become entirely numb and paralyzed. The only relief is to go inside and SLOWLY warm them back up.
So the thought of sitting in the garage and trying to manipulate the visors and deal with solvents just frustrates me . I could wait til spring but I'm way too impatient! Besides, just think of all the fun I could have choosing yet another thing to add to El Kabong!
Annette

Old 11-23-2005, 03:36 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
Well it must be the interior designer in me. It's like walking in a beautiful room and someone has left the cellophane on the lampshades. I can't get past the thing that's glaringly out of place, ie bright yellow warnings everytime I get in/out of the MINI!
I have a seperate minor issue too. I have a very minor "condition" called Reynaud's Syndrome and basically it means my time messing around with the car in the cold is non-existent. Reynaud's is a harmless but very annoying condition that when my fingers/toes get chilled the circulation completely shuts down. They turn completely white and become entirely numb and paralyzed. The only relief is to go inside and SLOWLY warm them back up.
So the thought of sitting in the garage and trying to manipulate the visors and deal with solvents just frustrates me . I could wait til spring but I'm way too impatient! Besides, just think of all the fun I could have choosing yet another thing to add to El Kabong!
Annette
OOH. We don't want those fingers falling off. I agree that plan B sounds better! It will probably add color and be fun.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:37 PM
namwob
5th Gear
Ok everyone's but mine is a big sloppy, messy disaster & took way too long

As you believe and are probably right, many people won't want to risk/bother to remove them, but don't want them either.

As far as size & exact measurements. Won't it be easier to install if it is larger than the horrific decal, which is quite thin by the way?

Old 11-23-2005, 03:40 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
I guess we got lucky. I couldn't stand looking at those stickers in my car....

Old 11-23-2005, 03:43 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
It's true...I don't know about PT stickers, but on a MINI they come off quite easily. Takes a bit of soaking the decal w/ alcohol, but the label softens and peels right off...no removing the visor, no problem w/ color...easy. Check for the best type of alcohol to use...isopropyl or denatured (either may work). Dab it on generously w/ a brush or cotton ball...let it sit 5-10 minutes or so...and peel. The sticker becomes real stretchy/rubbery (mine did)....gently pull it back. Clean up w/ a bit more alcohol. Gone.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:43 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
yep

namwob, you are probably right. I just ran out and took a quick look and they would be easy to put an oversized sticker over. In the PT (at least the first year) the visor is made of the same fabric as the headliner and if you did an oversized sticker the edges would start peeling up. With the MINI, I don't think that will be an issue. Phil did say that the texturing on the visor might be a slight problem, but if we are covering a smooth sticker it should work fine.
Annette

Old 11-23-2005, 03:45 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
the thought of sitting in the garage and trying to manipulate the visors and deal with solvents just frustrates me.
Ooops....missed the medical bit. Sorry. Sure stickers would be fun...go for it!!!

It'd be fun to remove the mirror bit and install entire Union Jack covers on the visors...then reinstall the mirror. I still don't think we've even scratched the surface in having some fun w/ the MINI interior. Heck, I'd love to see Union Jack graphics installed inside the recessed door panel (I've seen this on classics...very cool).

Old 11-23-2005, 03:48 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Phil did say that the texturing on the visor might be a slight problem, but if we are covering a smooth sticker it should work fine.
Annette
I know of that thing, Know someone who has that. SORRY

As to the decal, Im not kidding in that I never see them but they are probably there. If you go oversize sticker, the possibilities are endless ... like a Dragon

Old 11-23-2005, 04:02 PM
namwob
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
Ooops....missed the medical bit. Sorry. Sure stickers would be fun...go for it!!!

It'd be fun to remove the mirror bit and install entire Union Jack covers on the visors...then reinstall the mirror. I still don't think we've even scratched the surface in having some fun w/ the MINI interior. Heck, I'd love to see Union Jack graphics installed inside the recessed door panel (I've seen this on classics...very cool).
Yeah, visor slip covers printed with custom graphics. Why stop at a simple sticker? Flip it down ( move over -- written backwards...) Ofcorse you will have to pat Gokart ride royalties

Attached Thumbnails Need help with a graphic,...-visors.jpg  
Old 11-23-2005, 04:20 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Yeah,

That was always a big debate on the PT forums. Do you install the stickers so they are upright to the driver when the visors are up, or so the logo is upright from the outside when the visors are down?? I think with the MINI I would do a sticker with the "S" logo and nothing else, then it would look right either way (or close enough anyway). A bunch of the PT people would get multiple sets and just peel off the old ones and change to a new one every now and again. It is apparently pretty easy to peel a sticker off of a sticker, go figure.
Annette

Old 11-23-2005, 04:27 PM
Red Ryder
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Rather than use alchohol, has anyone tried a heat gun or hairdryer on high. Almost all glues and adhesives release with heat. Of course, you would have to be careful with the heat if a heat gun is used.

Old 11-23-2005, 04:34 PM
namwob
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Red Ryder
Rather than use alchohol, has anyone tried a heat gun or hairdryer on high. Almost all glues and adhesives release with heat. Of course, you would have to be careful with the heat if a heat gun is used.
NO NO NO NO

Old 11-23-2005, 04:37 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
As mentioned...apparently this is much more of a PT problem than a MINI problem. Therefore a market-driven solution is unlikely since most MINI folks simply remove the sticker (at least we used to...remember, I have an '03.) Best to seek a one-off solution, BoCRon, and have fun w/ it. Alternatively, do you have a friend (or better, make a friend in a local MINI club) who could help you w/ this easy procedure? You know, someone who has done it before. If you have a medical need...well, most MINI owners I know would be glad to help out.