Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior How to mount front license plate on Orciari kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005 | 03:39 PM
The MINITOR
|
6th Gear
How to mount front license plate on Orciari kit

I have seen pics of other Orciari kits with the front license plates mounted and am wondering how this was done. Were holes drilled or is there some mounting hardware or kit that can be purchased?

Old 11-28-2005 | 04:12 PM
pooch1
5th Gear
license plate mount

Picked up mini in sept from Texas no front plate.Went to dealer got him to pull out both plate mount panels in stock and trial fitted in spot I wanted.Then I centred panel on bumper used pencil in pre moulded holes to mark best spot for mounting holes.Then removed plate mount :impatient :impatient and checked shape of bumper area.Tranfered the shape with tool to paper and trimmed edge of plate mount to this shape.Next got some large headed rivets and attached plate mount panel to bumper.Predrill mounting holes to a tight fit for rivet .Test fit rivet then mount plate panel to bumper cover push all rivets and panel in with rivet gun.Spent most of time test fitting and trimming plate mount panel,with patience it will look perfect.

Old 11-28-2005 | 04:26 PM
The MINITOR
|
6th Gear
So is drilling the only option? No kits or hardware? I would prefer not to drill so that I can show the car without the plate and not have holes.

Old 11-28-2005 | 04:30 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
get some baby zip ties and zip tie the top to the grille, put some weak double-sided tape on the bottom and some foam on the corners so it doesn't flap around and scratch the bumper.

Old 11-28-2005 | 04:34 PM
eVal
6th Gear
front window

dunno WA but in CA its legal as long as it falls into the defined height limits.

Old 11-28-2005 | 04:42 PM
The MINITOR
|
6th Gear
Yeah its in the window now, but I think that it looks pretty bad. I tried the zip ties. I really wasnt thinking and zip tied the plate to both top and bottom grill, ziptieing the hood shut. My shop laughed at me. Oops. Well maybe I will try to craft another solution involving the grills.

Old 11-28-2005 | 04:54 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Do you have access to the tow hook?

Old 11-28-2005 | 05:19 PM
The MINITOR
|
6th Gear
I thought about that. The grill does have a small cutout for the tow hook, which would be a great way to mount the license plate. Except for the fact that when the grill was put on it was placed backwards, so that the hole is on the wrong side (I didnt do it). And I really have no way to lift the car up so that I can get in ther and switch the grill around. Grrr. That would be perfect though.

Old 11-28-2005 | 05:36 PM
BiZzLeSMiNI
3rd Gear
try heavy duty suction cups

I have seen people with body kits that dont want holes in their bumper who use suction cups to stick the license plate on the front bumper for temporary periods of time. Just use two suction cups and put the ends in the holes of the license plate. Supposedly it holds at really high speeds. Good luck with that!

Old 11-28-2005 | 06:19 PM
Nefarious
1st Gear
being one that had a show vehicle (not a mini) in texas a few years ago, I ended up just not using a front plate and luckily got away with never getting a ticket. Getting a license plate anywhere near the bumper cover scared me. It only takes one slip and your paint it damaged. Unless you are willing to put it in a plate box and mount it, there is really no other way to protect the car. I would just keep it in the window and take it down when you don't want it seen.

Old 11-29-2005 | 11:25 AM
The MINITOR
|
6th Gear
Well I have decided to do some lighting and an airhorn, so the car is going up in the air next week anyways which means I will have the opportunity to switch the grill around how it should be and have tow hook access, so I think I will rigg something up with the tow hook for the plate. I just need to find the right length/size bolt with the right thread pattern, which may even be an adventure in itself knowing that everything that I try with my car usually is.

Old 11-29-2005 | 12:03 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jeffroestobar
Well I have decided to do some lighting and an airhorn, so the car is going up in the air next week anyways which means I will have the opportunity to switch the grill around how it should be and have tow hook access, so I think I will rigg something up with the tow hook for the plate. I just need to find the right length/size bolt with the right thread pattern, which may even be an adventure in itself knowing that everything that I try with my car usually is.
Pitch of the threads for the toe hook are unique. I researched this. I am in the process of trying to get bolts made.

Old 11-29-2005 | 12:23 PM
The MINITOR
|
6th Gear
Thanks for the info, I was hoping someone would save me the pain of hunting around, which you did. I guess that that means I will have to make the license plate mount out of the tow-hook itself. I accept the challenge. I will post with the results.

Old 12-01-2005 | 08:19 AM
toolmichael
2nd Gear
tow hooks can be

Found at the northwest MINI dealer in fife that are used by the transport

trucks. The hooks are long and made of a weldable metal, a great place to

start for fab of license plate holder.

Mike

Old 12-01-2005 | 08:41 AM
eVal
6th Gear
fwiw people have fabricated these before from the tow hook, there is at least one person on the board here with it and some photos. I am also interested in doing it just haven't got around to it yet

Old 12-31-2005 | 02:21 PM
The MINITOR
|
6th Gear
Thanks for the input. I just finished my tow hook project. I used an aluminum angle and some various bolts. Just had to cut the angle for length, and then cut a strip for the bottom and bent it. Then drilled holes for the bolts to clamp it down, and to bolt the angle to the license plate frame. Then I used a thin washer to make the tow hook horizontal instead of vertical:

Old 01-01-2006 | 05:51 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by The MINITOR
Thanks for the input. I just finished my tow hook project. I used an aluminum angle and some various bolts. Just had to cut the angle for length, and then cut a strip for the bottom and bent it. Then drilled holes for the bolts to clamp it down, and to bolt the angle to the license plate frame. Then I used a thin washer to make the tow hook horizontal instead of vertical:

Love what you did but I'd like to suggest a) you use shorter screws and b) a strip of rubber (something protective) because if you ever get tapped your going to have two really nice indents on that beautiful body.

Old 01-01-2006 | 06:25 AM
The MINITOR
|
6th Gear
Good suggestions. Already planned on shorther screws and some padding. Thanks!

Old 01-01-2006 | 07:00 AM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
Man front licene plates "SUCK , but I guess it's better then a ticket for not running one. Nice secondary use of your tow hook, with a littel clean-up it will look as nice as the rest of your fine ride.

Old 01-01-2006 | 07:44 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Good show!

I think that's the best solution yet. I hate the factory plate location, your offset plate looks great.
My bumper cover is still virgin no holes, no plate but I'm paranoid about a $55.00 ticket. Think I'll look into this today.

mini-rolls, "Pitch of the threads for the toe hook are unique."
Metric unique? What is the size and pitch?

Old 01-01-2006 | 09:44 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
No the pitch is not metric. It a thread cut by the inch. I will post a picture of my attachment later today.

Old 01-01-2006 | 10:29 AM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
Don't know if this will help you or not but I mounted my plate on the lower grill with no adverse side effects (Driving in Dallas during the summer is about as hot as it gets).

I used the original front license plate mount and a simple stud through the grill - not a permanent mod. Here's a cartoon schematic / cutaway of the mount:

/gary mc

Old 01-01-2006 | 08:07 PM
The MINITOR
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
Love what you did but I'd like to suggest a) you use shorter screws and b) a strip of rubber (something protective) because if you ever get tapped your going to have two really nice indents on that beautiful body.
I just checked it out and if I do get tapped the tow hook should take it first, which is way better than direct contact on the bumper. I am still getting some shorter bolts though, and putting something soft on the back.

Old 01-01-2006 | 08:12 PM
The MINITOR
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gmcdonnell
Don't know if this will help you or not but I mounted my plate on the lower grill with no adverse side effects (Driving in Dallas during the summer is about as hot as it gets).

I used the original front license plate mount and a simple stud through the grill/gary mc
Looks stock, very clean and symmetrical. I tried this, but couldn't as the Orciari bumper has a much deeper grill. Would work good on the stock bumper though, although some like the idea of the quick removal of the tow hook mount, and even the offset to the side (I like symmetry though).

Old 01-03-2006 | 04:40 PM
Outbackbob
2nd Gear
I had a PT Cruiser and the front plate mount was huge black and ugly.
I removed it and used a thin metal plate frame and mounted it below the bumper. That left 2 holes in the bumper from the old mount.
I got a couple of metal screws and screwed them into the holes then I got some license plate screw caps painted them the color of the car and snapped them onto the screw heads.
Looked pretty cool. Sorta like rivits holding the bumpers on.
You could probably do the same if you drilled the dimples and mounted the plate frame. Then if you wanted to remove it for show you could put the screws in the holes and screw caps on the heads. Painted to match the body of course.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior How to mount front license plate on Orciari kit