Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Dash installation of MINI cuckoo clock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005 | 06:43 PM
morknmini
|
6th Gear
Dash installation of MINI cuckoo clock?

In my car (2005) the clock is an alternative display to other info. To find out the time I press a button. It's easier to consult my watch. I just opened the MINI Motoring Holiday Gear 2005 mailer and saw the cuckoo clock. It's nifty! I can't justify spending $85 for a clock for home when sleek multi-function digitals are under $30, but that's not much money for an aftermarket gizmo for my MINI. I suspect if MiniMania offered an aftermarket clock for the MINI it would cost a lot more than that. The Holiday Gear mailer does not give dimensions, but it sure looks MINI-compatible. So I wonder if anyone in the NAM world has already installed the MINI cuckoo inside the car and has it worked out okay? Has anyone seen the cuckoo clock in the metal (or plastic)?

Old 12-04-2005 | 06:52 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
If it's the clock I think it is, I've seen it, it's very cool but I think it's probably too big to mount on your dash like you're thinking.

I believe that the large pod on the clock is a little smaller than the centermount speedo (probably about an inch smaller radius), while the smaller pod is about the size of the tach. Sticking the entire thing on your dash would probably take a good chunk of dash real estate and may also obstruct some of your view.

If it was the size of say the tach pod, it would probably be great for what you're thinking. But the MINI clock is intended to be a desk/shelf clock and is sized as such...

Old 12-04-2005 | 06:53 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
If it's the clock I think it is, I've seen it, it's very cool but I think it's probably too big to mount on your dash like you're thinking.

I believe that the large pod on the clock is a little smaller than the centermount speedo (probably about an inch smaller radius), while the smaller pod is about the size of the tach. Sticking the entire thing on your dash would probably take a good chunk of dash real estate and may also obstruct some of your view.

If it was the size of say the tach pod, it would probably be great for what you're thinking. But the MINI clock is intended to be a desk/shelf clock and is sized as such...
This is too bad, cause it sounds like a fun/silly idea... I would love to see something like that.

Old 12-04-2005 | 06:56 PM
morknmini
|
6th Gear
Yikes. It's not MINI-size at all. There went another money-saving idea (not many in the realm of MINIs). Thanks for the clarification.

Old 12-04-2005 | 06:59 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Sorry

Just to be sure though you might want to take a spin down to your local dealer. A few of them have the clock on display either at parts or over in the showroom...

Old 12-04-2005 | 07:07 PM
morknmini
|
6th Gear
I think you're right. A clock the size of a softball would look ridiculous and, as you stated, usurp too much dashboard real estate. Because I kept thinking MINI I imagined it the size of a golf ball.

Old 12-04-2005 | 07:11 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
morknmini, you are crazy! I love it!!!

Old 12-04-2005 | 08:19 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
The new clock location/configuration bothers me as well. I had grown to really like the location of the clock on my '02, which was above the rearview mirror. Glancing over at it allowed you to still have the entire road in your peripheral vision unlike looking for a clock low on a cluttered dash console. Having to hit a button only makes it worse.

So, after much searching, I got a Spot Clock by For Motion and stuck it to the rearview mirror. It is smaller than a quarter and, on these new oversized rearview mirrors, doesn't impact the rearward view at all.

I picked mine up from cbxman.com (as in Honda CBX, a motorcycle).

It works great - but I wish that it had reflective/luminescent hands or a light for low-light conditions. If I find one with that, I'll probably get a new one.

Old 12-04-2005 | 08:30 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
BTW, I almost forgot, for only a few extra pennies, there is a bigger color selection available directly at formotion.com

Here's a racy example:

Old 12-06-2005 | 05:43 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
I put a Volmeter in my passenger side a/c vent angled towards the driver.....

You could put an Autmeter clock in there with the same connections!

I was considering it...but I have an 04....so it's got a clock already....

Autometer clock:

Cost you asK? $70 or so for the gauge, $.20 for some ring terminals and a few feet of wire, and like $1.50 for some double sided sticky tape....oh and you might consider getting a 2 5/8" angle ring........