Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 11:31 AM
DreamingTwig
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mirrors?

Mirrors?
Is it just me or are there stinky blind spots? How do you deal with them? I clamped a big wonking mirror onto my rear view. You?

Old 12-18-2005, 11:43 AM
mhhoff
2nd Gear
You need to adjust your sideviews. Do a search on either/both SCMM and NAM for "mirror adjust" or something similar and then say goodbye to the blind spots (well . . . about 99%, anyway).

Old 12-18-2005, 04:52 PM
rnbradford
1st Gear
I have these for my MCSC - which has an even worse blind spot than the hard tops -
http://www.safetymirrorsonline.com/html/technology.htm
and like them a lot. No affiliation.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:44 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by rnbradford
I have these for my MCSC - which has an even worse blind spot than the hard tops -
http://www.safetymirrorsonline.com/html/technology.htm
and like them a lot. No affiliation.
I also highly recommend them (Multivex is the brand name). Search the forums for Multivex (and also at Mini2.com) for comments and reviews.

I especially encourage anybody to try a Multivex right side mirror (90 day return guarantee). The mirror really helps you easily see much more of your surroundings, and eliminates the right side blind spot. For MINI convertibles (I have a MCC), it gives so much of an improvement that I think you should get one.

I have no reservations about recommending the Multivex right side mirror, but I found the Multivex drivers side mirror to take some getting used to. The Multivex is flat close to the car and increasingly convex towards the outside edge. For the right side, it works out to being somewhat similar to, but better than a standard right-side convex mirror. The field of vision is wider yet distortion is better controlled. However, on the driver side, most of us don't have experience with a convex mirror. With the left side Multivex, I had to adapt to judging how far an object is depending on where it is on the mirror. I see much more than with a standard flat left mirror, but there is a learning curve to use it effectively.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:15 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These sound alot like the German spec mirrors I installed on my BMW which is a good thing

Do they also come with a slight blue tint? It really helps at night when there are cars behind you.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:27 AM
rnbradford
1st Gear
Do they also come with a slight blue tint? It really helps at night when there are cars behind you.
I don't see any mention of tinting on their website nor have I noticed it on the mirrors.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:39 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let the car guys, Tom and Ray show you how to adjust the mirrors in any car to eliminate the blind spots.

It takes a little getting used to because you no longer set your side mirrors to show you the side of your car, but it works!

Old 12-21-2005, 07:27 AM
findude
4th Gear
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
Let the car guys, Tom and Ray show you how to adjust the mirrors in any car to eliminate the blind spots.

It takes a little getting used to because you no longer set your side mirrors to show you the side of your car, but it works!
I HIGHLY recommend this method--it made a huge difference in our minivan and helps in every car I've used since I adopted it a couple years ago.

When you are going to change lanes, check the rear view mirror first, then the side mirror on the side you're moving toward, then rotate your head slightly and just look through the front side window. You no longer need to twist your head to look out the rear side window!

I adjust them by tipping my head to each side as far as it (reasonably) goes and then adjusting the mirrors. This is a good reference for starting out, you can fine tune it later.

It does take a while to get the confidence level up, but it's worth it. If you can see the side of your car in the side mirrors from your normal seating position, you don't have them adjusted far enough out.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:20 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Hey rkw,

Do these just stick over your original mirrors or can you get replacements?

Do you have any pictures of them installed on your Mini?

Old 12-22-2005, 10:02 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
The Multivex mirror sticks on over the original with double stick tape. It is a 2 mm thick mirror of the same oval size and shape as the original, and after mounting there is a 0 to 3 mm gap between the two (more gap in the middle because the mirror is curved). After installation, you can see the white double stick tape if you look through the gap from the top. I closed the top and side edges of the gap with black silicone caulk (Multivex recommends this to trap heat for heated mirrors). Once this was done, the mirror looks OEM and you really cannot tell that there was anything changed when looking at the car. If you search for Multivex on MINI2 forums (unfortunately they are down for a couple of days for server updates), there are photos that show the view that the mirror gives.

I agree with comments that say you can position standard mirrors so that blind spots are not a problem, and it is what I have done for many years. I would describe the Multivex as an enhancement for someone who wants something something better than the standard mirrors, sort of like comparing standard headlights with Xenon.

Another mirror worth considering is the MINI OEM split/aspherical mirror ( http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...88&hg=51&fg=10 ) which is not available in North America. It was discussed in this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=49390. I am very happy with the right side Multivex mirror. On the left side, I'd like to compare the Multivex with the OEM split mirror. I've been trying to contact mikeythemini about obtaining one from the UK.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:24 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Thanks for the info

Old 12-22-2005, 06:54 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
I asked them about the slight blue tint. And they said no they found it distorted the image too much.

I kinda like the light blue tint. I have a feeling my stock ones will go into the tint shop for 25 bucks.

Getting the Euro ones would be the best solution. Not sure if they have a slight blue tint to them or not but that would be a nice thing

Old 12-22-2005, 08:19 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Originally Posted by FlynHawaiian
I asked them about the slight blue tint. And they said no they found it distorted the image too much.

I kinda like the light blue tint. I have a feeling my stock ones will go into the tint shop for 25 bucks.

Getting the Euro ones would be the best solution. Not sure if they have a slight blue tint to them or not but that would be a nice thing
My Euro spec BMW ones do, so I'm going to purse that option first
BTW, they have no distortion and took very little time to get used to.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:01 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
MINI2 is back online, and here is the thread that has photos of the Multivex mirrors: http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96606 (see posts #23 and #24). This was actually a thread I started back in July before I ordered my car, and it was where I first learned about Multivex. The photos also show how the mounted mirror looks the same as OEM.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:10 AM
DreamingTwig
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
MINI2 is back online, and here is the thread that has photos of the Multivex mirrors: http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96606 (see posts #23 and #24). This was actually a thread I started back in July before I ordered my car, and it was where I first learned about Multivex. The photos also show how the mounted mirror looks the same as OEM.
THANK you! I knew there had to be SOMETHING out there that made the mirriors a lil' better. Thanks a ton. That wonking clip on thing I have (that's useless at night) is too much to deal with. Now to gather up my x-mas gift money and order them.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:50 AM
xtremepsionic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol

I second this method, I've been using this for the past 3 months and it works. I barely have to shoulder check now, the blind spot is basically non existant. All you do is check the rear view mirror inside the car, check the mirror of the lane you want to merge into, and look out that side window, then you've got everything covered.

The way most people adjust their wing mirrors means they're looking at the car behind them 3 times (wing mirrors X 2 and the rear mirror inside the car), and there is no need to see the same thing 3 times to know its there! Adjust your wing mirrors out like the guide linked above and use your mirrors to their full potential!

But of course, if you have a convertable thats different I've driven one and its really hard to see out for sure.

Old 01-30-2006, 04:33 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
OK, now that I have the Euro spec mirrors how do I get the original glass off?

Old 01-30-2006, 04:54 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ///ACS330Ci
OK, now that I have the Euro spec mirrors how do I get the original glass off?
You got the OEM split/aspherical mirror? I got one recently and was planning to write about them. To remove the mirror, rotate it (electrically) to the most inward position. Reach in and pull the mirror off its attachment clips. If the mirror is heated there are two wires to disconnect.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:59 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
You got the OEM split/aspherical mirror? I got one recently and was planning to write about them. To remove the mirror, rotate it (electrically) to the most inward position. Reach in and pull the mirror off its attachment clips. If the mirror is heated there are two wires to disconnect.
Cool, thanks