Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Painted someone else's dash BLACK

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006 | 04:57 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by 3cocinas
Ok, I want to do the same. I can get 4 out of 5 dash pieces off. How the h*ll do you get the airbag cover off?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
With the dash pad off, pull up and out on the bottom of the air bag panel and just let it hang there. Follow the white braided straps to the top of the dash, there will be a rod with a 90 degree bend, undo the two bolts holding that down and wiggle it out of the white straps. The air bag panel will now come off, be sure to take note of how the white straps are routed from the panel to the rod.

Old 12-29-2006 | 04:58 PM
LordOfTheFlies
|
6th Gear
Your body shop guy is full of cr*p if you don't mind my brutal honesty. Look at the other colors available- they are all painted (as opposed to the patina - which is the WORST opton available IMHO - had iton my car too.

If you want to do this you have to take your time. USE PRIMER!!! And put on as many coats of clear as possible! I did it in my living room (bad idea) and rushed a bit. luckily I have a spare set of door panels to do it again on' (chippage happened on the panels, not the dash).

it isa real fun project but it really does take patience....

Shoe

Originally Posted by mciri
Hi Y'all..

I've been wanting a painted dash ever since I got my 03 MCS. I have the lovely "alloy" dash and it would be nice to have it a matching red.

I was excited when reading about similar efforts here, but when I spoke with a body shop, they were dubious. Their concern was that it would be a safety risk to have the cover to the airbag painted -- something about the chips flying off in an accident.

Thoughts?

Old 12-29-2006 | 07:10 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by LordOfTheFlies
Your body shop guy is full of cr*p if you don't mind my brutal honesty. Look at the other colors available- they are all painted (as opposed to the patina - which is the WORST opton available IMHO - had iton my car too.

If you want to do this you have to take your time. USE PRIMER!!! And put on as many coats of clear as possible! I did it in my living room (bad idea) and rushed a bit. luckily I have a spare set of door panels to do it again on' (chippage happened on the panels, not the dash).

it isa real fun project but it really does take patience....

Shoe

So true! I tried it myself not once, but twice before going the professional route. I realized I am just not patient enough to deal with the project.

For someone looking to DIY, I would recommend:

-Sand smooth with like 600grit
-Primer
-Wetsand
-Primer
-Adhesive Promoter (not really necessary, but if you want it)
-Color Coat 1
-Wet Sand 1000 Grit
-Color Coat 2
-Wet Sand 2000 Grit
-Color Coat 3
-Let it sit for a few hours
-Clear Coat 1
-Wet Sand 2000 Grit
-Clear Coat 2
-Wet Sand 2000 Grit
-Clear Coat 3
-Let sit for a few days to let the clear cure (the more days the better)
-Wet Sand 2000 Grit
-Rub with a compound of your choice
-Polish with Meguiars #80 (No more swirls!)

Old 12-30-2006 | 12:16 AM
BiZzLeSMiNI
3rd Gear
yo that red and black interior is sickkkk...wud go perfect with my whole red and black theme!! i need to get to work lol

Old 12-30-2006 | 12:36 AM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Still its a lot of work! Take it to the shop and have a pro do it hahah Dont be like me and learn the hard way.