Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Piaa Horn...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 11:32 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piaa Horn...

I was curious if anyone has tried out the piaa upgraded horn for the mini yet? I was looking for something to blast at the 16 year old girl talking on her cell phone as she cuts me off.

500hz + 600Hz Seems like a GOOD combo any ideas on the fit?

Old 12-21-2005, 11:34 AM
pooch1
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Their were some on Ebay

Old 12-21-2005, 11:55 AM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
I feel Ya, I'm about to roof mount some 18 wheeler horns on mine. Lead, Follow, or get the H out'ta way

Old 12-21-2005, 12:02 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by yumhaggis
I feel Ya, I'm about to roof mount some 18 wheeler horns on mine. Lead, Follow, or get the H out'ta way
I am seriously trying to figure out where to mount the Wolo Big Rig horns in my MCS. They are 11 and 12 inches. I just hate high pitched horns.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:54 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
Your right, there's little to no room to put a set of horns anywhere. I've seen them put in the engine bay on the firewall right- hand side with the compressor on the backside same location in that little bucket area where the cowl vents dump air. On my 1967 Mini I put the horns in the left- hand fenderwell with the compressor as close to the trumpets for max sound, you have room in the wheelwells when you have 10" wheels, I know not much help in this case. I like everything neat & orderly in my engine bay so till I figure this one out I'm still dream'in of horns that are screaming.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:56 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
It helps to have the Orciari bumper, there is a lot of bumper space, I am being hopeful that I can figure something out.

Old 12-21-2005, 02:07 PM
hoopi
3rd Gear
Did the horns change in 06? My 06 doesn't have high pitched horns, they are a lower-mid tone horn and pretty loud. I was expecting a "meep-meep" horn like in my Toyota, but it sounds more like something from a small truck.

I'd still like a louder horn though. At Costco yesterday a Dodge "Power Wagon" nearly ran right over me. He had such poor visibility that the Mini completely disappeared behind the truck.

Anyone post pics of the PIAAs installed? I see the factory horns down in the bumper, but it looks like trying to remove a water melon from a coke can to get them out.

Old 12-21-2005, 02:10 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
That is one of the sweetest body kits I've seen out there, I've thought of making the jump, but I'm not so sure of body fit, straight away or do I have to massage here & there to get a perfect fit, & was it wavy so I'd be block sanding for days

Old 12-21-2005, 02:28 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
That is one of the sweetest body kits I've seen out there, I've thought of making the jump, but I'm not so sure of body fit, straight away or do I have to massage here & there to get a perfect fit, & was it wavy so I'd be block sanding for days
I didnt put it on myself. I have heard that it is a good and easy fit, but there honestly are a few gaps that I don't like, could be better. But that is only because it is mine and I look for them. Others probably don't notice. My shop said that there should be plenty of room down there in the bumper for some horns though, I will probably find out next week.

Old 12-21-2005, 02:38 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
Way cool ,in the bumper has got'ta be better then on the firewall in the engine bay the horns are for them not me

Old 12-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I installed the PIAA 500/600 hz combo in my 2004 MCS. They fit perfectly behind the bumper as replacements for the OEM. You will need rotate the right PIAA horn a bit from the way it is aligned from the box. OEM wiring needs to be cut/soldered for spaded terminals.

The sound is noticeably louder than the OEM setup and the 500/600 combo is a bit more shrill than the OEM. I think I have an "after install" sound clip somewhere...

HERE it is!

Theo

Old 12-21-2005, 03:16 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
Nice but I'm a die hard, I like air horns, I'd love to find some Hi/Lo like the French Police use, now that might wake you up in the morning :impatient

Old 12-21-2005, 03:22 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Why screw around?

Old 12-21-2005, 03:32 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
Now your talking, I wish I could tell you I'd never seen one of these things before, but I have, got one on my work car, & yes my work car is black & white. Maybe that's why my JCW Cooper S is Black over PW, Naaa don't think so

Old 12-21-2005, 03:42 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Now your talking, I wish I could tell you I'd never seen one of these things before, but I have, got one on my work car, & yes my work car is black & white. Maybe that's why my JCW Cooper S is Black over PW, Naaa don't think so
Why not? You need to remove your airbox though...it's hidden under the solenoids next to the ECU The dumb thing is that IDIOTS can hear my horn alright but can't tell where it's coming from as they're looking around for a fire truck

Old 12-21-2005, 03:47 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
SWEET Look out I'm come'in through :impatient

Old 12-22-2005, 06:39 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
I cannot wait to get this. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.

Maybe I will get lucky and a little valley girl who is 16 will spin out of control and flip her car on the 101 because of a loud horn . Cutting off MINI'S = bad Idea.

Great rear window sticker would be...

If E=MC^2, Then eat my dust

Old 12-22-2005, 06:46 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
beeep beeep? What kinda toy horn is that?

Old 12-22-2005, 06:50 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
The kind that mini put on our cars. BEEP BEEP

Old 12-23-2005, 05:33 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw...

...at our local pulley / graphics party several weeks ago, a fellow was visiting the tint shop where the work was being done. He had a compact pickup with a air driven suspension that did all the gyrations. AND, he had a honest to god train horn installed. Ran it off the same air tank. It was so big he cut out part of the left side wheel well and the trumpet ends were just behind the wheel.

A rough install but it worked!

Old 12-23-2005, 08:32 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
One of my buddies had an air compressor installed under his truck so we could do work in the field. He also had it hooked up to 8 horns. It temporarly blinded you.

Course the can gun under the truck was the most fun. Load it with a soda and watch it fly 1000 ft and explode

Old 12-28-2005, 03:33 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
I finally installed the Wolo "Big Rig Long Horn" air horn, instal came out nice and clean. It is pretty obnoxious, just what I had in mind since I hate the usual high-pitched horns.

It has 2 trumpets- 11 and 12 inches, which barely fit under the bumper, and are slightly visable throught the lower grill, but I don't mind since they are symmetric and red. Here is the audio clip from their site: http://www.wolo-mfg.com/417.wav

Old 12-29-2005, 01:11 PM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
Cool, but anyone got something deeper? You know, the kind that when you hear it while your crossing a set of rural railroad tracks your butt puckers up just a bit until your sure your clear?

Old 12-29-2005, 01:31 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by doomsdaybob
Cool, but anyone got something deeper? You know, the kind that when you hear it while your crossing a set of rural railroad tracks your butt puckers up just a bit until your sure your clear?
I spent a long time looking around and this was by far the deepest/lowest tone. To get that semi/train sound you need an on board air compression system, and the trumpets would have to be very long (14" to 30" I've seen). So unless you are williing to dedicate your entire boot to this, I couldnt find anything deeper.

I did find one other train/semi horn listed on the FIAMM website, but there is no audio clip and I couldnt find anywhere in the US that carried it. I called FIAMM and they didnt even have an audio clip or a unit that could be plugged in for an over the phone demo.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:11 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by doomsdaybob
Cool, but anyone got something deeper?
Yes...me

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Piaa Horn...