Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior lower aero grill not sitting flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 10:35 AM
Justanthony
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lower aero grill not sitting flush

i am just about finished with my aero grill install, but i am having problems getting the lower grill to sit as flush as possible. i have opted to NOT remove the louvers that supported the old painted strip, but the grill sticks out about a 1/4 of an inch in the center and about an 1/8 of an inch on the sides. it looks like the louver is hitting right in the center of the bumper.

has anyone done better than that leaving the louvers intact? it just looks like it's sticking out too much!

i did a search for some aero grill pics with a side view for some comparisons but many of the results came up with broken pics.

does anyone have some good side view pics of their lower aero grill installed for some comparison?

i know that the easiest way to solve this would be to remove the louvers, but i want to keep the option of going back to stock later.

thanks in advance for any pics or advice!

Old 12-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Strom
4th Gear
I had the same problem, but I opted to remove the louvers. Maybe you could just trim the edge of the louvers? Then maybe the old grille could still attach?

Old 12-29-2005, 10:43 AM
Justanthony
3rd Gear
yeah strom i thought about that too, but i decided against it since the louver is curved. i was concerned i'd slip and dremel my bumper!

Old 12-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Smooth is Quik
3rd Gear
Old 12-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Minsian
2nd Gear
This is my next mod and I'm thinking about leaving the louvres as well..

I haven't seen the aero grill yet, so I was wondering if you could trim the bottom of the aero grill to fit around the louvres?

Just curious!

Old 12-29-2005, 02:30 PM
Justanthony
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Smooth is Quik
it DID help! that's how i got the original grills off in the first place. this doesn't discuss the amount of grill that sticks off the bumper though...

thanks anyways!

Old 12-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Justanthony
3rd Gear
you COULD trim the back of the aero grill to bring it more flush but that means you would be thinning out the honeycomb plastic mesh. i don't want to do that.

anyone with pictures of their lower grills with the louvers still on?

Originally Posted by DeMini
This is my next mod and I'm thinking about leaving the louvres as well..

I haven't seen the aero grill yet, so I was wondering if you could trim the bottom of the aero grill to fit around the louvres?

Just curious!

Old 12-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Minsian
2nd Gear
Got it, and agreed...does anyone have pictures with the louvres left on? or does everyone cut their bumpers?

Old 12-29-2005, 06:32 PM
JustinO
1st Gear
DeMini,

Either way, it looks like we have a lot of dremelling to do when we install our aerogrills next month.

Has anyone ever installed the M7 middle and upper grills instead of the aerogrill, if so, any pics?

Old 12-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Justanthony
3rd Gear
one thing to note about using a dremel, don't stay in one spot too long or you run the risk of creating "dips" along the edge. it took a while to smooth out!

Old 12-29-2005, 08:15 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you have to cut alot of the thickness of the grille off.

i cut out the slat and had to still trim about 1/2 inch of the material off all the way around to get it to fit.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Justanthony
3rd Gear
yeah i know about the removal of material...i already took off quite a bit, i was just wondering if anyone out there with the louvers still intact would be kind enough to post pics so that i could see how flush others have gotten their lower grills. haven't seen a pic yet.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:32 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do you ever plan on putting slats back on the car?

if not, just take the louvered section out. put a drill bit on the dremel and use it as a side cutter. its easy

Old 12-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Justanthony
3rd Gear
yep i know how to go about it, but i do want to have the option of putting the slat back on. the reason being is that my aero grill is color coded to match the rest of the car and i want to see how the paint holds up. (i've heard there were problems with peeling.)

if it seems to be holding up okay, i may go back and cut out the louver. (if the non-flush mount really bugs me.)

Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
do you ever plan on putting slats back on the car?

if not, just take the louvered section out. put a drill bit on the dremel and use it as a side cutter. its easy

Old 12-30-2005, 11:18 AM
FastBandit
2nd Gear
I did mine following the instructions Smooth is Quick provided you with. It took me about two and a half hours (not including paint drying time) to finish completly. I was very happy with the finished look.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Justanthony
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by FastBandit
I did mine following the instructions Smooth is Quick provided you with. It took me about two and a half hours (not including paint drying time) to finish completly. I was very happy with the finished look.
wow! you work quick!

Old 01-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Justanthony
3rd Gear
i now have the grill installed on my MCS and it looks good. i'm willing to live with the grill sticking out slightly

Old 03-09-2006, 06:24 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any one figure out a way to get the grill to fit flush w/o cutting the louvers off? I already f-up one grill last night. Now I've got to buy a new one. Not a big deal, at least I didn't f-up the bumper.

thanks for any help.

I guess I will can cut the louvers, but I would like to have the option to return to stock.

I just don't want to cut them in haste and find out that I didn't have to.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:54 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Have you removed the painted slat that is double sided taped to the bumper?
Just wrap a screwdriver in elec tape to get it started, Its a bugger.

From what I know there is no way make the grille flush without trimming the aero grille down to fit flush. You should not really need to trim the center bumper in any way Which still leaves you the option to go back to stock.

I opted to just cut new slots and trim the two outer upper tabs off the aero grille. (cuz to cut those slots it would interfere with the original slots)It doesnt fit flush but does not leave a gap or look out of sorts. By leaving the factory slots alone all I have to do to go back stock is restick the paited louvre and snap the crome surround back in

Old 03-09-2006, 07:21 AM
WEEGIT
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by planeguy
Have you removed the painted slat that is double sided taped to the bumper?
Just wrap a screwdriver in elec tape to get it started, Its a bugger.

From what I know there is no way make the grille flush without trimming the aero grille down to fit flush. You should not really need to trim the center bumper in any way Which still leaves you the option to go back to stock.

I opted to just cut new slots and trim the two outer upper tabs off the aero grille. (cuz to cut those slots it would interfere with the original slots)It doesnt fit flush but does not leave a gap or look out of sorts. By leaving the factory slots alone all I have to do to go back stock is restick the paited louvre and snap the crome surround back in
I did essentially the same thing. Do all the cutting on the grille and leave the slat in place, so it's all reversible. In my case, I put black electrical tape over the slat (car color being PW) so it doesn't contrast. I put the license frame on to hold the center in place and glued the ends. It sticks out about 1/8" at ends and 1/4" at top, which I can live with.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:24 AM
golden_child
Hey planeguy

Yeah, I've removed the long slat and exposed the louvers behind it. Painted it and cut new holes.

The 2 Louvers hit against the back of the aero grill and keep it from sitting flush. It made the grill stick out a bit further than I was expecting 1/8–3/16's all the way around. Having it out this far didn't allow the top tabs of the grill to hook into the bumper holes I had made. Is that normal?

I guess it wouldn' t have been so bad if I wouldn't have cut so much of the grill. I Used the chrome of the original as a template. I won't do that again. That was way to much to remove. It left huge gaps all the way around, except for the top of the mesh part, I didn' touch that at all.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:53 AM
golden_child
Thanks WEEGIT

So, it looks like (accordingt to most) that the grill will stick out 1/8-1/4" all the way around unless the louvers are cut off. I am going to have to weigh my options on that one.

If I do not choose to cut out the louvers, what about the top tabs on the grill? They didn't reach the holes I made in the bumper. Is that normal?

Sorry if I sound desperate. I have had the grills since X-mas and have been reading post since I heard about the mod a few years back. You figure after reading so many post and so many Q&A's, I wouldn't have a problem. But one always seems to sneek in there.

Well I'm off to buy a new grill today, there go 40 more bills. Like I said at least its not the bumper. But if I keep screwing up I'll have an aero kit paid for kit.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:05 AM
golden_child
Any idea on the top tabs of the aero grill?

IF I cut the louvers will the top tabs they go into the holes I made? and then the will the grill fit flush?

If I don't cut the louvers, Will the top tabs still make it to the holes I made? or not?

Just looking for help before I screw up another $40 piece.

anyone?

Old 03-09-2006, 01:38 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
Mine does not fit flush but I did not trim the aero grille at all. I only removed the two upper outer tabs because they interferre with the factory slots. I cut new slots for the remaining tabs and snapped it in place

So. the tabs will engage with a firm push with no trimming. By trimming the grille down the self locking tab may be too long. requiring a pin or something to keep it tight against the bumper.

I dont think I have ever seen an aero grille on a std bumper sit completely flush like this on the aero bumper. I think the goal is to get that very minor 3/16 or 1/8 even all the way around the grille

Notice the DS in the pic doesnt quite sit as flush as the BRG

Attached Thumbnails lower aero grill not sitting flush-14639repaired_012.jpg   lower aero grill not sitting flush-dscn3468.jpg  
Old 03-09-2006, 01:47 PM
golden_child
Thanks Planeguy

I'll check it out when I get home. If it works, I'm not cutting a thing.

--golden_child

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior lower aero grill not sitting flush