Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Aftermarket Horns

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 05:08 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Horns

I'm tired of people thinking they can cut me off cause I drive a MINI and such. So, I'm thinking of buying an air horn, two horns with an electric compressor. I was wondering where you were installing your aftermarket horns and if you had any ideas as to where I can mount these horns. The horns are 12" long. Should be funny to watch people look around trying to find out whose got the loud a$$ horn, cause I know they won't be expecting it from a MINI.

Old 12-31-2005, 05:36 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Here are a few pics of mine. I may have more room under my Orciari bumper though:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=57871

Old 12-31-2005, 06:16 PM
SheaJeff
2nd Gear
Give me a few days and I'll have a really good answer for you; I'm expecting delivery of two Stebel Nautilus horns. If you go to http://www.stebel.it you can listen to them. I read on another thread here that they are really good. I should get them on Tuesday and will let you know, but I really liked the sound of them as they sounded more "European".
Unfortunately, I had to take the front bumper cover off to get at the original horns. Taking this piece off sounded harder than it was. My car is just awaiting the horn delivery then I will re-assemble it.

Old 12-31-2005, 11:51 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
i'm going to buy the same horns as minitor and hopefully mount them in the same position, i like what you did with it

Old 01-01-2006, 03:57 AM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Awesome. If our MINI's ever meet they can sing together like whales.

Old 01-01-2006, 04:36 AM
K4KAS
3rd Gear
I had a set of the Stebel Nautilus on my old Scion.
I was very happy with them. Alot easier to mount and just as loud/if not louder as any seperate comp. trumpet setup.
When my alarm went off and the siren and horn blew together, man someone was going to take notice! I got a lot of compliments on it.
You'll be happy with it!
On the otherhand, I may go a different route and go with the whelen PA/horn combo!

Old 01-01-2006, 05:03 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by The MINITOR
Here are a few pics of mine. I may have more room under my Orciari bumper though:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=57871
I mounted my compressor like Minitor but chose the other side (I'm now wondering if there is more room on that side?). I was able to get my horns in the general area as Minitor but the stock front end is a lot tighter. I was able to get one horn facing the radiator but have the second one facing the opposite direction. I didn't even bolt them up the fit was the snug.

NOTE:

The shorter the tubing (from horn to compressor) the faster the air horns respond. With this set-up you have very little but you do have a little delay but once passed that LOOK OUT.

The compressor location (either side is an excellent choice because that's the location of the old horns so the wiring is right there. I didn't add a relay or anything for that matter when I did my install.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Outbackbob
2nd Gear
Got my air horns from Harbor Freight. $13.00.
I mounted the trumpets in the passenger side cowl well.
Drilled a hole for the tubing and mounted the compressor on the engine side of the same cowl well.
The horns come with a module that lets you hook it up as a positive or negative ground.
I ran 1 wire from the module through the driver side cowl, poked through the rubber wire harness boot with a wire hanger and ran it to a separate button that I got at shucks.
(Although you can, I didn't want to hook it to my stock horn cause these suckers are loud. I just want them for the same reason you do. Inconsiderate drivers.)
I mounted the horn button next to the handbrake lever in the console. There is a breakout there for some other accessory. I ran the wire to the button. (tucked it under the gearshift console and handbrake console.) The other side of the switch is grounded to the body under the dash.
Looks good and works great. People do take notice.

Old 01-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Nice setup outbackbob, If my horns don't fit behind the front bumper i'm going to have to revert to putting them in the passenger cowl as you and others have done. Although I hope it fits because I want them as far forward as possible.

BahamaBart, what horns did you get and can you please post pics of how the horns sit behind the front bumper. I want to get an idea of how big your horns are compared to the ones i'm buying and how they fit. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Outbackbob
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 02///MCS
Nice setup outbackbob, If my horns don't fit behind the front bumper i'm going to have to revert to putting them in the passenger cowl as you and others have done. Although I hope it fits because I want them as far forward as possible.
The nice thing about the cowl install is that the sound comes out the cowl and is not muffled by the engine hood.
I had to buy 2 "L" shaped brackets at the local hardware store to mount the horns properly.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:27 PM
trickedmotoring
4th Gear
Do you guys know anything about the Euro type horns, something like a Ferrari

Old 01-02-2006, 06:16 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Outbackbob
The nice thing about the cowl install is that the sound comes out the cowl and is not muffled by the engine hood.
I had to buy 2 "L" shaped brackets at the local hardware store to mount the horns properly.
This set-up has to be really loud to the interior.

Old 01-02-2006, 06:22 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 02///MCS

BahamaBart, what horns did you get and can you please post pics of how the horns sit behind the front bumper. I want to get an idea of how big your horns are compared to the ones i'm buying and how they fit. Thanks.

Impossible to provide pics, its all sealed up. I would first install the compressor. I was able to install it like minitor - actually used the same bolt that held the stock horn to hold the compressor. After that its get underthe car and remove plastic. stickem where they fit !!!!!!!!!

As I mentioned earlier I got one horn to stick out infront of the radiator and th eother one I have facing the opposite direction. I jamed in !!! no bolts holding them - I did zip tie them together and when I sealed up th eplatic those suckers werer held firmly in place. The tubing from compressor to horns is a straight drop on the right hand side facing the car.

Another - option hold off a few days and take a looksie when you come to pick up the one ball - assuming you still want it? This guy is not going to call - I just wanted to be fair.

Old 01-02-2006, 06:06 PM
SheaJeff
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by trickedmotoring
Do you guys know anything about the Euro type horns, something like a Ferrari
Go to http://www.stebel.it and find the Nautilus. These are the ones that you want. You can listen to clips on their website of each horn they offer.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:13 PM
elbum0
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SheaJeff
Give me a few days and I'll have a really good answer for you; I'm expecting delivery of two Stebel Nautilus horns. If you go to http://www.stebel.it you can listen to them. I read on another thread here that they are really good. I should get them on Tuesday and will let you know, but I really liked the sound of them as they sounded more "European".
Unfortunately, I had to take the front bumper cover off to get at the original horns. Taking this piece off sounded harder than it was. My car is just awaiting the horn delivery then I will re-assemble it.
Did you ever get this installed? A couple months ago someone else tried and gave up after not finding any convenient area to install it. If you installed it successfully, can you post pictures and explain how you made it work?

I'm also considering installing the Stebel Magnum's...probably the double pack. Anyone know if those will fit where the stock horns are?

Old 01-08-2006, 07:46 PM
SheaJeff
2nd Gear
I got them installed last weekend.
HOLY COW are they loud! What a great sound. When I wired the first one up and tested it, I scared the heck out of myself.
It's pretty snug in there, but I got them in where the original ones go. You have to remove the front bumper cover; it's not hard at all. I have the front aero kit. It was a bit snug putting it back on, but seems alright.
The Stebel horns need a ground so I ran a new ground wire to the hood latch screw, then only used one of the wires from the original harness (test it to find out; hook it up to the horn; try both terminals. You'll know when you 'got it).
I had to change the horn fuse to a 25amp cuz I blow the smaller one if I hold the horns on.

Old 01-08-2006, 08:05 PM
elbum0
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SheaJeff
I got them installed last weekend.
HOLY COW are they loud! What a great sound. When I wired the first one up and tested it, I scared the heck out of myself.
It's pretty snug in there, but I got them in where the original ones go. You have to remove the front bumper cover; it's not hard at all. I have the front aero kit. It was a bit snug putting it back on, but seems alright.
The Stebel horns need a ground so I ran a new ground wire to the hood latch screw, then only used one of the wires from the original harness (test it to find out; hook it up to the horn; try both terminals. You'll know when you 'got it).
I had to change the horn fuse to a 25amp cuz I blow the smaller one if I hold the horns on.
Awesome! those are the standard sizes right (not the Compact version)?

Old 01-09-2006, 05:38 AM
SheaJeff
2nd Gear
Mine are the standard versions.
The Compact ones might be better; it's REALLY tight with mine. But it looks like the "heart" of the horn is the same size, so you may still have the same fitting concerns that I did. What about asking about their return policy? Order them, see if they fit, and swap if you don't like it. The guy who runs that site is really nice. BUT the instructions in the box were from Griot's Garage. They might have them cheaper.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:48 PM
elbum0
3rd Gear
I emailed Adventures Workshop asking for a size comparison between the two horns, and they replied saying that every dimension (except for the length of the air compressor) on the Compact version is smaller, so it should be easier to fit in the MINI. I ended up ordering two as well...I'll post pictures once installed, which won't be until after the car arrives in the first place. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-09-2006, 04:33 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The chome air horns from JCW are the closest to a lamborghini horn ive heard. mine are awesome, never had a pump go yet (my friend is on his 3rd with the harbor freight ones!!!!)

they run 20 bucks from JCW and are well worth the cash!

Old 01-09-2006, 05:00 PM
jonsibal
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by elbum0
I emailed Adventures Workshop asking for a size comparison between the two horns, and they replied saying that every dimension (except for the length of the air compressor) on the Compact version is smaller, so it should be easier to fit in the MINI. I ended up ordering two as well...I'll post pictures once installed, which won't be until after the car arrives in the first place. Thanks for your help!
I wonder if the sound gets affected going with the compact size.
Do you guys order 2 just for the sound volume or any other reason?

Old 01-09-2006, 05:22 PM
elbum0
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jonsibal
I wonder if the sound gets affected going with the compact size.
Do you guys order 2 just for the sound volume or any other reason?
Adventurer's Workshop told me that both versions sound similar, and they both push out 139dB, so volume is not effected.
Two horns definitely isn't necessary, just more great.

Old 01-09-2006, 05:54 PM
SheaJeff
2nd Gear
If I didn't have two horns, maybe I wouldn't have had to increase the fuse size!
One horn is DEFINITELY loud enough.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:56 PM
trickedmotoring
4th Gear
where do you find the jcw ones.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:04 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Aftermarket Horns