Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Extremely easy way to change map and dome lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 11:56 PM
MiniBetterThanBeer
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Extremely easy way to change map and dome lights

I was experimenting with LED bulbs and discovered a ridiculously easy way to change the map and dome lights. Forgive me if anyone else has posted this info already but I hadn't found anything when searching how-to's in preparation for the bulb swapping.

Initially, I tried pulling the bulbs out from below but found it to be as difficult as other posters have reported so I suspected that there had to be some other super-simple way MINI techs would do it. After some pulling and prying (and daring faith), here's what I learned:

The entire console that houses the map lights, airbag indicator, and waterfall lights can be removed without tools -- it may hurt your fingertips but it's better than scratching the plastic with tools.
Extremely easy way to change map and dome lights-cimg0212.jpg
Simply push towards the windshield while pulling down on the back (boot-ward) end of the light console. This compresses two metal springs on the front end of the unit and creates clearance for the bevelled plastic clips on the back end to come free of the headliner. Then -- voila! -- the whole thing falls out.
These are the metal springs:
Extremely easy way to change map and dome lights-cimg0216.jpg
and here are the plastic clips:
Extremely easy way to change map and dome lights-cimg0214.jpg

The map bulbs are mounted in sockets that come free by rotating 90 degrees in either direction. In the photos, the sockets are the black plastic things sticking out from the circuit board (the driver's side socket is already removed). If you're installing LED bulbs, test them now while you have the console removed so that if they don't light you can simply rotate the socket 180 degrees to correct the polarity.

To replace the light console in the headliner, insert the back, plastic-clip-end first and then push up on the front end to pop the metal springs into the headliner.

On a side note: I remember seeing a thread on secret compartments some time ago. Since the light unit is so easy to pop off and on, the space above it in the headliner would make for a great stashing spot. I think I could fit my lunch up there!

The side dome light bulbs are also connected with the same plastic sockets. Just pop off the plastic lens with a taped-up flat blade, unscrew the two phillips screws, and remove the sockets from the inside. Easy, eh?!

The following users liked this post:
fatherlemming@gmail.com (04-05-2022)
Old 01-11-2006, 11:59 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are a genius. I couldnt find any directions except to pull with pliers or wedge it out with a screwdriver/kitchen knife. Works, but this sounds way easier. Good tip.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:12 AM
MiniBetterThanBeer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by The MINITOR
You are a genius. I couldnt find any directions except to pull with pliers or wedge it out with a screwdriver/kitchen knife. Works, but this sounds way easier. Good tip.
More like "fearless gambler"! Someone had to find out what happens if you pull on it, right?

Old 01-12-2006, 09:13 AM
fj0
5th Gear
Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:19 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
^^^^^^^^^<>^^^^^^^

yea really, great info!! im gettin' ready to take on this task next

Old 01-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Kentiki
5th Gear
Amazing! I was just thinking about this on the way to work this morning. I was wondering if that entire section could be replaced with a clock from an '04 or earlier (I HATE the clock in the speedo)? Anyone know if it would (sorta) fit? I don't have one to compare.

Thanks for taking the chance on the removal and reporting the how-to!

Old 01-13-2006, 01:05 PM
MiniBetterThanBeer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Kentiki
Amazing! I was just thinking about this on the way to work this morning. I was wondering if that entire section could be replaced with a clock from an '04 or earlier (I HATE the clock in the speedo)? Anyone know if it would (sorta) fit? I don't have one to compare.

Thanks for taking the chance on the removal and reporting the how-to!
Kentiki, I looked up the the clock on realoem.com http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...96&hg=62&fg=05 and it appears to have the same outline to fit in the headliner.

In addition, the headliner part numbers haven't changed in the last few years so the cutout for the clock or light cluster should be the same (this is strictly an assumption!).

The diagram on realoem also doesn't show any wiring to connect to the clock so it could be a stand-alone, batter-powered unit. Can anyone confirm this?

If those conditions are all correct, then it would be possible to install a pre-'05 headliner clock in an '05+ MINI. Of course, you would lose the map and cascade lights as well as the disabled-airbag indicator -- and your car may present fault codes from the two disconnected wire harnesses -- but it seems like this can be done!

I guess the best ways to find out for sure would be to ask an accomodating parts department or a willing pre-'05-friend to let you try it out on your particular car.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:12 AM
Kentiki
5th Gear
Thanks for looking that part up! I tried and couldn't find it. I'm gonna look into this when I get some $$ and time.

I was thinking of the problems I might have by disabling the airbag light. Maybe I can keep it intact and just shove it up into the hole in the headliner!!

Ken

Old 06-27-2013, 11:44 AM
firescape
Neutral
Really Helpful

Needed to replace the bulbs with LED lights. Thanks for the instructions