Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior wrecked car thinking of aero kit upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 05:49 AM
RomhoG
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wrecked car thinking of aero kit upgrade

well some drunk ran in to my car last night... of course I was in the bar myself when this happened.... blaa blaa blaa..
anyhow Now my lower front end will have to be relaced. Broke all sorts of clips and cut deep in the plastic.

When I take it to my fav bodyshop down in Cinci next week (the one mini uses all the time to paint for them) I am thinking of a few things..
For one, I wouldn't mind getting the side aero kit skirts. AND also have the trim all around painted to match the body color.
What do you all think would be a fair price to have them paint the skirts and trim all around? I figure someone else has had this happen by now...
Thanks!

Old 01-22-2006, 06:28 PM
cooper99
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar experience last summer; a WWII veteran (still a daily driver, quite scary) rear ended my car at a stoplight causing me to also plow into the SUV infront of me. I had to replace my front bumper, radiator, hood, 1 headlight, rear bumper, rear hatch, exhaust, and a million tiny connecting pieces. I had the same idea as you and figured it would be really cheap to get the aero kit upgrade, so I did, but it wasnt as easy as what it seems but I am still extremely pleased.

1. Since there is no MINI dealer within 3 hours of us, my insurance (USAA) recommended me to go to a local Mercedes-Benz repair shop.
2. The aero kit took almost 2 weeks to get in.
3. Once it got in, it was missing a couple of braces, so we had to wait for those also.
4. Insurance only paid me for the factory front and rear bumper, which I remember to be about 600 dollars, and the kit cost around $1200.
5. I had my side arches painted also, a must have (my favorite part of the aerokit)
6. Total cost = $1500; thats from a Mercedes dealer, so you could maybe do it a tad bit cheaper somewhere else.

I think the factory aerokit with body painted moldings makes the Mini lose some of its "cute" look and appear much more aggressive. My advice, don't be scared and go for it!!

Old 01-22-2006, 07:41 PM
sjolly
3rd Gear
I had the aero kit put on when I order my 06 and had the trim painted the car color, I love it because I can wax them and not worry about it like I did on my 03 with the black trim. If you get a chip in the paint just a little touch up paint and you are good to go.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:40 AM
RomhoG
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cooper99
6. Total cost = $1500; thats from a Mercedes dealer, so you could maybe do it a tad bit cheaper somewhere else.

I think the factory aerokit with body painted moldings makes the Mini lose some of its "cute" look and appear much more aggressive. My advice, don't be scared and go for it!!
Thanks for that input! I an still trying to get State Farm to clear me on the work, but the latest thought is to just keep the standard set and have all those parts painted