Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Looking for Surface Data, MINI S...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006 | 05:48 PM
MSFITOY
|
OVERDRIVE
Looking for Surface Data, MINI S...

Does anyone know how/where I can aquire an accurate exterior surface math data (Iges, Alias wire, ICEM surf, etc.) for the Mini Cooper/S?

Thanks,
Sid

Old 03-06-2006 | 06:13 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Maybe, if I knew what the heck that was.

Old 03-06-2006 | 06:16 PM
Peter@M7Tuning
Former Vendor
Essentially he wants a factory perfect computer representation. And he isn't the only one.

Old 03-06-2006 | 06:19 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
So, maybe like a 3-D CAD of the MINI Cooper S?

Old 03-06-2006 | 06:40 PM
MSFITOY
|
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN109
Maybe, if I knew what the heck that was.
I guess if you don't know what I'm talking about, you wouldn't know where to find it

I'm hoping that this data already exist somewhere out there from BMW ...if not, I'll have to have the whole car scanned...expensive but worth it in the long run. Hell, I might as well have the Elise scanned too Once I have the math data, I can create/design exterior/interior components, complete body kits and even redesign the Mini from ground up in very short time.

The Aero Wing and the Ram Intake could've been designed/created in a couple of days on the tube and sent out for prototyping long ago. JS and I were forced to create these two ideas via analog-old-school techniques that takes up mostly his valuable time as the design part is fast for me. It required him to assemble an armature, pack clay, sculpt the clay and fine tune the surfaces before any casting could take place. Now with my big black box, this can all be done with one and zeros...it will be like shooting at barn door...the designs are in my head and the tool is at hand...all I need is the data to start from

Old 03-06-2006 | 06:54 PM
kmickey
3rd Gear
Found this site: www.3dcontentcentral.com
Can download iges, solidworks, pro/engineer, CATIA ect...
I haven't downloaded any of these, so I don't know if they are in native format or just dumb "step" files.

I'll keep looking.

Old 03-06-2006 | 07:05 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Will and I discussed this a while ago....and the conclusion was that the good ones were big money. There are free ones out there that are meant to be used for Grand Theft Auto on the computer. They are free, but the aerodynamic information really wouldnt be great.

This one is $79....but the dimensions of things like the hood arent right though:
http://www.3d02.com/html_3d_Model/3d...in_3M03250.asp#

This one is $127...its better, but the spoiler area (where im sure you're interested) still looks a little goofy:

http://www.3d02.com/html_3d_Model/3d...in_3M03951.asp#

I just found this one....i think it said it was free. It looks pretty good. It's an MC but you cant complain if its free:
http://www.3dkingdom.org/index.php?m...owpic&pid=3091

Old 03-06-2006 | 07:06 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
files!?!?

NiCE..::..

Old 03-06-2006 | 07:10 PM
MSFITOY
|
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by kmickey
Found this site: www.3dcontentcentral.com
Can download iges, solidworks, pro/engineer, CATIA ect...
I haven't downloaded any of these, so I don't know if they are in native format or just dumb "step" files.

I'll keep looking.
Thanks for the lead but they didn't have any accurate data for Mini. These files are mostly approximations that others have created...not actual Mini surface data. Oh well...I think I might have a better chance winning the lotto tonight

I guess I'll have to have the Mini scanned myself...these disks will sell like hot cakes...gold plated hot cakes that is

Old 03-06-2006 | 07:14 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I guess if you don't know what I'm talking about, you wouldn't know where to find it
Don't you know by now that it's not WHAT you know but WHO you know?
My brother had achieved Master BMW Tech status, and knows a lot of guys at the BMW school in NJ, and if they don't know, they might know someone who does. I can see if he can procure the data of which you speak.

Old 03-06-2006 | 07:20 PM
MSFITOY
|
OVERDRIVE
My brother had achieved Master BMW Tech status, and knows a lot of guys at the BMW school in NJ, and if they don't know, they might know someone who does. I can see if he can procure the data of which you speak.
You're absolutely right and I stand corrected...big thanks

Old 03-06-2006 | 09:48 PM
Capn_Panic
2nd Gear
BMW would indeed have the files you are looking for, although getting them to give them out is pretty rare. We got files from BMW of the new 3 series when we did a tv spot for them, and apparently that was a pretty rare occasion.

Your best bet would be to check with Viewpoint, who used to be the #1 source for 3d car models (they would scan em, etc). Although I don't think they would give the model out, I believe Frantic Films (http://www.franticfilms.com/) scanned a Mini for their work on The Italian Job. I personally have made a few Mini 3d models, but they were both off of blueprints and by eye, so not useful for building off of. But if neither of the aforementioned work out, getting a full scan done is probably your best bet, although, dealing with the heavy scan data will be quite a task unto itself.

Let me know if you have any luck and are looking for some nice renders of things you are prototyping, as CG is what I do

Old 03-06-2006 | 09:55 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Let us know when you get the info, this is something I'd be very interested in

Old 03-07-2006 | 07:39 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Trust me we don't get that kind of info. I go to one of the BMW training schools, but this is not related to what the schools deal with at all. Since it is design related, the files can be had from someone working for BMW in Germany. Unless the design was done in the California studio.

Old 04-12-2006 | 08:23 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Bump. MISFITOY or anyone else have you gotten a hold of or found these files yet?

Old 04-12-2006 | 08:33 PM
MSFITOY
|
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by motor on
Bump. MISFITOY or anyone else have you gotten a hold of or found these files yet?
Darn...I was hoping this was good news

Old 04-12-2006 | 08:34 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Just trying to keep the search alive

Old 04-19-2006 | 03:12 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Bump. I know this info is out there some has to know a way that we can get our hands on it.

Old 04-19-2006 | 03:18 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by from MINI2
The dull but factural answer to your question is this:

CAD system was Catia v.4 by Dassault in France.

The industry standard surfacing tool is Icemsurf

Both are very expensive to buy ($20,000 + per license!), so are limited to the big players.

The clay model is digitised into a "cloud" of data points, Icemsurf turns these single points into a nice smooth surface model and Catia is used to create the structure under the skin.
SO know its out there and I have acess to CATIA, and a new version at that, so will some please help us locate the files?

Old 04-19-2006 | 03:30 PM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
I could really use the math data for engine transmission ideas...

Old 04-19-2006 | 04:18 PM
Capn_Panic
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by motor on
SO know its out there and I have acess to CATIA, and a new version at that, so will some please help us locate the files?
This is easy, the files are at BMW. Getting BMW to give them up is the hard part. If anyone has connections to BMW's design dept, they should pull some strings

Old 04-19-2006 | 04:30 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Capn_Panic
If anyone has connections to BMW's design dept, they should pull some strings
or if we have any talented network security guys out there...

Old 04-19-2006 | 10:47 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
MINI has there design trade marked then we could only help sales if we offered a wider aftermarket making the car more youifed and apppealing to a larger crowd. So I hope they'd be willing to actively share the info.

Old 06-07-2006 | 07:55 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Bump!

Old 06-07-2006 | 08:10 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
My understanding of how the design process works is that a designer sculpts a clay model. The model is then CMM'd in to 3d, the surfaces are smoothed and perfected and then built from. I think the only way to get the outer surfaces is to do the same process with a car. BMW is not likely to let go of there design data.

But if anyone does get thier mitts on the catia models let me know! I drive catia for a living.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Looking for Surface Data, MINI S...