Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior front licence plate brackets

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006 | 07:16 AM
JeffM
3rd Gear
Mine is a '04. The kit is in a little black and red bag with a snap top, nothing molded. Inside the left cubby there's a velcro strap attached that goes around the tool bag. I like it this way - I can get at the stuff without pulling out everything in the trunk to access the battery well. I keep my miscellaneous junk in the right side cubby.

Old 03-15-2006 | 01:15 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
I recommend the MINI OEM Aero Kit bracket. The holes drill upward from underneat so there are no visible holes in the bumper if you take it off. I have it on mine. Looks better than all the others.

Old 03-15-2006 | 01:20 PM
TSR53
5th Gear
I agree with Josh. I'll post photos tonight. Plus the aero kit license plate plastic mount/bracket is made in Germany

Old 03-15-2006 | 01:30 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Sorry but I'd rather pay $40 to GoMiniGo for a stainless steel "No Holes" bracket than $43.50 to a dealer for a German made piece of plastic

Old 03-15-2006 | 04:56 PM
TSR53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
Sorry but I'd rather pay $40 to GoMiniGo for a stainless steel "No Holes" bracket than $43.50 to a dealer for a German made piece of plastic
I agree, everyone is entitled to spend their money how they want and I think that supporting our fellow NAM'ers is all good. However, I just bought a new 2006 Cooper S and the plastic German plate holder was included with the aero kit and the car. The stock plastic one I got is too nasty looking and to me the aero kit one gets my nod anyday - it just fits goooood, can be drilled from below and is factory.

Not that it really matters, [heck, I'm a tad overweight...] but I'd even guess that both SS and plastic plate holders are different weights, plastic might win this match-up. I need all the help I can get here! [back to eating more delcious girl scout cookies and weighting down my left side springs...]

On with the photos...

Factory MINI "Made in Germany" Aero front plate holder.

Shown up against my original [removed as new] front bumper

Backside detail. Factory MINI aero kit front license plate mount (part #51 11 0 141 384, Made in Germany, $43.50 MSRP)

Old 03-15-2006 | 05:00 PM
TSR53
5th Gear
I'm on the quest for the ultimate front plate mount guys and gals. I had a thought, what about taking your front license plate, scanning it and making it into a real "Monte Carlo" style rallye plate sticker? Mount that suckar right above the bonnet air scoop [ala MC40 version]. As far as our state vehicle inspection goes it just needs to be fixed to the vehicle. Might work. I'll crank up a design.

Old 03-15-2006 | 08:44 PM
GoMiniGo
Former Vendor
Hey Thompson,

uh, how do you mount a plate to that? Short screws?

Also, watcha gonna do with that extra bumper and grill?

GMG

Old 03-16-2006 | 05:13 AM
TSR53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GoMiniGo
Hey Thompson,
uh, how do you mount a plate to that? Short screws?
Also, watcha gonna do with that extra bumper and grill?
GMG
I guess short screws would be the hot ticket for mounting with this plastic plate. I haven't totally decided on how to mount my plate yet. Your trick SS NoHoles mount is REALLY nice. The aero kit front doesn't come with a plug for the tow hook and your license plate mount would be the hot ticket. When you go to a car show - just unscrew!

I'm designing a Rallye Style shape reflective sticker using a scan of my Vermont plate. I don't know if it will fly, but if it's laminated and attached to the car [sticker..] then the Vermont inspection is good to go

Extra front bumper and grille? Garage fodder, Vermont rallye spares, something to wax... Keeping them for now, just incase - you never know

Old 03-16-2006 | 10:43 AM
MJO MINI
2nd Gear
I can appreciate the off center placement of your plates and the reason to not have holes in the bumper. Unfortunately, when I purchased the MJO MINI, the dealer had already done the misdeed of drilling in front plate bracket (to my dismay!). So I had no choice. However I do prefer the more steamlined look and less aerodynamic drag of the europlates so this is what I had custom made. I don't think this plate would look right off center plus I found a cool chrome looking bracket and a real (metal) GB license plate maker. I think it worked out well. But I do have holes in my front bumper. Oh well. Not a big deal since I didn't have a choice. What do you think?

Old 03-16-2006 | 12:52 PM
eVal
6th Gear
ThompsonR53 - it looks like that is supposed to be screwed through the front in addition to the underside? If someone backs into the plate or something like that will it tear the bumper or bend down to the grill w/o the additional support?

MJO MINI - love the way the front plate and bracket look It's illegal here to have something other then the state issued plates (I imagine for traffic cameras and such to use) else I might consider something similar.

Old 03-16-2006 | 01:13 PM
TSR53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
ThompsonR53 - it looks like that is supposed to be screwed through the front in addition to the underside? If someone backs into the plate or something like that will it tear the bumper or bend down to the grill w/o the additional support?

MJO MINI - love the way the front plate and bracket look It's illegal here to have something other then the state issued plates (I imagine for traffic cameras and such to use) else I might consider something similar.
Yes it does look that way but when the holder is against the aero front end it fits snug. Hopefully nobody will back into my Cooper S !!! I don't want to go there... Hmmm, maybe time for some good 'ol 3M body molding tape.

Old 03-17-2006 | 11:03 AM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GoMiniGo
Doomsday,

Do you mean using the bracket to hold a euro plate or using for a US plate while the euro plate is on the car?

GMG
Just holding the Euro plate. We don't require front plates here in FL but I have always thought the Euro plate looked good on the car just haven't had the nerve to drill my bumper.

Old 03-17-2006 | 03:00 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by doomsdaybob
Just holding the Euro plate. We don't require front plates here in FL but I have always thought the Euro plate looked good on the car just haven't had the nerve to drill my bumper.
MYMINI has the 'NO HOLES' LBP Kit in stock, stop by and see Peter I am sure if you look at it may work for you. But Peter has one on his car.

Old 03-19-2006 | 12:04 AM
QandElf
Shadetree Modder
No Holes? You been to Europe?

I guess because every country requires front plates in the EU, I never much thought about it until I came home with my MINI and realized I could get TWO vanity plates! One in the back from FL, the other from a custom Euro plate group. I've got my 'vanity' plate up front, and waiting on my vanity plate from FL to make it a two-fer!

Old 03-19-2006 | 12:52 AM
Methman
3rd Gear
Mine was also pre-drilled when I purchased it. I liked the look of the Euro plates, so I bought this one:

This is where I bought my Euro plate:

http://www.licenseplates.tv/index.php/cPath/2

The plastic bracket was only $10.00 or so and you can pick any Euro plate and customize it. My plate has the letter of my last name "M" and my kids' birthdays, which they thought was great!

Check out the Euro'd out United States plate they sell!

Old 03-19-2006 | 04:50 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
personal bump: all good info, thanks

Old 03-19-2006 | 07:01 AM
TSR53
5th Gear
I decided to use my aero kit factory front plate mount since the Vermont state inspection rules nixed my idea of a rallye style sticker plate. Here is my "europlatecraving'ness" fix. I used a europlate underneath on the rear.

Old 03-19-2006 | 10:56 PM
QandElf
Shadetree Modder
Originally Posted by Methman
This is where I bought my Euro plate:

http://www.licenseplates.tv/index.php/cPath/2

The plastic bracket was only $10.00 or so and you can pick any Euro plate and customize it. My plate has the letter of my last name "M" and my kids' birthdays, which they thought was great!
Dude, no offense, but you paid too much.

Try this site:

http://www.europeanplates.net/

They're good, can customize to suit, and have many styles to choose from. BTW - 'M' is Munich in Germany, so any customized Munich plate could do you.

Old 03-24-2006 | 10:20 AM
Coopersport.com
Former Vendor
You can check out how it looks with dual-plates here...

goMINIgo Plate Holder

And Custom Euro Plates here...
Custom Euro Plates

Cheers,
Jason.

Old 03-25-2006 | 01:28 PM
saakey
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Coopersport.ca
You can check out how it looks with dual-plates here...
goMINIgo Plate Holder And Custom Euro Plates here...
Custom Euro Plates
Just got mine

Old 03-28-2006 | 09:48 AM
TSR53
5th Gear
My front aero kit license plate mount installed, finally. Info >> here

Saaky, nice! You should make your signature flag half & half. (MSport/Union Jack)

Old 03-28-2006 | 07:22 PM
bobs
1st Gear
I also recently decided to use an Aero Kit front plate bracket on my standard "S" front bumber. $34 from Classic after NAM discount. I also got the plate carrier for the rear boot. Attach that to the front bracket and you can then use any plate frame you choose. Rear plate carrier was $21 from local dealer.

bobs

Old 03-29-2006 | 11:56 AM
saakey
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ThompsonR53
Saaky, nice! You should make your signature flag half & half. (MSport/Union Jack)
Hmmm, not a bad idea...I do need to update my sig - it's been a while

Old 05-14-2006 | 09:29 PM
b8b
3rd Gear
Very helpful thread, thanks all... I bought the one form gominigo, though I had to pay full pop @ $56 shipped.

Old 05-15-2006 | 12:06 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
saaakey, love the mini mini in the garage photo!

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior front licence plate brackets