Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Going for the Eurosport/Eurotuner Look???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 05:56 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having lived in New Mexico for 17 years, I'd say the stretched low profile tire thing came out of "low riders" before some German guy with a GTI got them! Hispanics have been taking large American cars (Impalas, Cadilacs, etc) with fins and lots of chrome and putting 12" rims with 30 series rubber that is about 2" too narrow on them for many years. Add the hydraulics and you've got one badass low rider. Not shaved or clean at all, but the wheels--that's their origin.
I'm with MSFITOY on this one--I like the dechromed look, but the wheels look silly.

cheers,

Old 05-23-2006, 06:28 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
From the images you provided, the "Euro" look is comprised of:

1-monochromatic color scheme
2-little or no chrome
3-wide wheels with over stretched low profile tires

Did I miss anything?

I'm with one and two but think three is bit impractical performance wise...
Here is my interpetration (which by no means carries much weight)

1.Mono chrome color scheme
2. little chrome...just in the right places
3.wide, deep dish, expensive wheels (usually in the smaller sizes 13,14,15) with stretched/low-pro tires
4. VERY lowered
5. Shaved in some areas and bodywork to mold parts
6.little to no tint (in most cases....this is a debatable trait)
7. no aggresive bodkits, splitters, or canards
8. No CF (unpainted atleast)
9. clean simple interior....the trend seems to be going towards bright colors of leather that contrast with the exteriors....it used to be dark interiors(this is just starting up)

The top 4 that i highlighted in red (you hit these) are the real core traits to the scene....the ones that almost everyone has. But of course, none of these are required and there are people who have created beautiful cars that would be called euro despite having gone against one of these rules.

I'm with one and two but think three is bit impractical performance wise...
This is true...performance-wise they aren't the best choice. But the easy response to that is...."who cares?". For many people (me not included) performance isn't the main goal for their car...they may just want to cruise around looking good.

Many of the euro owners i know over here in the states like a little of both. When they are driving around town, they are running 15 inch expensive wheels with stretched tires scraping the ground and just looking good(in their opinion)....but when the weekend track day comes up, they set their coilovers a little higher, throw some cheap, lightweight 15s with track tires on and they race to their heart's content. They have performance when its appropriate, and do what they think looks good whenever performance isn't needed (in their eyes, the street).

It's all about tastes and what you car is for. These people have accepted that one shouldn't be performance driving on the street (as it is very dangerous) and so they don't mind doing a few things that aren't performance oriented to achieve what they personally think looks good (which of course is just an opinion, so many of you won't necessarily agree).

Old 05-23-2006, 06:30 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by gandini
I'm with MSFITOY on this one--I like the dechromed look, but the wheels look silly.
you guys are entitled to your opinions.....and i love both of your cars (some of my favorite minis)....but i just happen to prefer smaller wheels like my 15s.

If you dont like stretched tires...dont look here http://www.motoringunderground.com/f...t=tire+stretch

Old 05-23-2006, 06:34 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
you guys are entitled to your opinions.....and i love both of your cars (some of my favorite minis)....but i just happen to prefer smaller wheels like my 15s.

If you dont like stretched tires...dont look here http://www.motoringunderground.com/f...t=tire+stretch
I think you summarized the "Euro" ingredients very well...

Old 05-23-2006, 06:40 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I think you summarized the "Euro" ingredients very well...
thanks sid

As a little disclaimer: I by no means go for the full euro look myself....i dont plan to ever run stretched tires. I personally feel that the best cars borrow styling cues from all of the car scenes, be it sport trucks, euros, imports, lowriders, or hot rods. Do whatever looks best to you...and don't be quick to throw everything into a category. I'm just here to answer people's questions about euro in case they are confused

Old 05-23-2006, 09:46 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
RallyMINI: You've been the *man* on sharing some cool VWs and such here--and you know I share many aesthetic likes with you. I've seen too many weird low riders in New Mexico to like that look, and they are certainly not high on the performance index. Of course, the only reason most of us have gone to larger diameter wheels is to fit those BBKs inside (and I have to admit I *love* my 13" rotors!) The ride is rough and noisy with low profile tires for sure compared to your 15s.
I think you described the Euro look perfectly. Having seen some of those Japanese sites you've linked (like BondMINI) I wonder if that's a distinct style--more bling and lots of body mods on most.
Keep it up (when's your new car arriving?)

cheers,

Old 05-23-2006, 10:25 AM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally feel that the best cars borrow styling cues from all of the car scenes, be it sport trucks, euros, imports, lowriders, or hot rods. Do whatever looks best to you...and don't be quick to throw everything into a category.
+100. Well put.

It's all about tastes and what you car is for. These people have accepted that one shouldn't be performance driving on the street (as it is very dangerous) and so they don't mind doing a few things that aren't performance oriented to achieve what they personally think looks good (which of course is just an opinion, so many of you won't necessarily agree).
+100 again and well put again. Now if others just understood this, and that it goes the same for 19 inch wheels and big heavy chrome.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:59 AM
ArmyDog
Coordinator::Asia
Well....we try to be kinda Euro here.......

Pic was taken for an online Korea tuner/car scene web site called TuneZine

Old 05-25-2006, 07:53 AM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW... nice pic.. I love your MCS! And your friend's is very nice too. What wheels are those on the DS?

Old 05-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 02///MCS
WOW... nice pic.. I love your MCS! And your friend's is very nice too. What wheels are those on the DS?
yah what he said

Great cars...and nice wheels (on both)

Old 05-25-2006, 12:01 PM
ArmyDog
Coordinator::Asia
Both of us are sporting Neez wheels and both tuned at Peak Motors. I will find out the name of the Neez on the DS and let ya know. BTW....you can tell Neez by the dual valve stems

Old 05-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ArmyDog
Both of us are sporting Neez wheels and both tuned at Peak Motors. I will find out the name of the Neez on the DS and let ya know. BTW....you can tell Neez by the dual valve stems
neez is a great company. Dual stems to let out air if you are switching to another tire filler....very cool. Kosei does that too on some of their wheels.