Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior license plate screw size

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 10:16 PM
MiniKJ
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
license plate screw size

Hi guys:

I am looking for replacement for the stock plate screws. The guy at the dealer who installed both front and rear plated took away 2 of the 4 screw, because there dealer's frame has only the top 2 holes. Anyone knows what size are the screws? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-02-2006, 12:07 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
When I replaced my dealer frames with 4-hole license frames, I went back to the dealer and they gave me license screws for free. I don't know what size they are, but the front and rear license plate holders use different size screws!

Old 04-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The front uses a self-tapping screw that is commonly found in any parts store in the license plate frame display. The rear plate is held on by metric machine screws that thread into metal 'nuts' embedded in the plastic plate mount. Depending on whether or not you are using a frame around the plate that increases the overall thickness of the plate by an appreciable amount, you will have to get longer screws. Do note that if you get screws that are longer than necessary, they will thread too far into the plastic mounting and make contact with the painted metal surface of the hatch, scratching it and possibly causing corrosion. Generally, five turns or thereabouts of thread depth is all that is needed to properly mount the plate.

Screw size is 4mm by about 10mm stock. I added a plate frame and needed to use different screws, the originals were too small.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:18 PM
bobs
1st Gear
Just mounted my plates yesterday and found metric screws at Ace Hardware. I'm pretty sure the rear plate holder uses 5mm screws. I took the plate holder off the boot and into the store with me. Realoem.com shows the stock screw as a M5x8. Hope that helps.

bobs

Old 04-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Oops, my bad. Actually, my fingers bad and my mind in a hurry. The screws are 5mm, not 4mm. I had to change to a set 12mm long to accomodate the added thickness of the plate frame.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:07 PM
MiniKJ
3rd Gear
Thanks for all your help. I will try my luck first at the dealer before going to hardware store. I have to say though, this is strange that they use different size screws front and rear @

Old 04-04-2006, 06:22 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniKJ
Thanks for all your help. I will try my luck first at the dealer before going to hardware store. I have to say though, this is strange that they use different size screws front and rear @
It's not really that strange when you consider that the front plate uses screws that self tap into the bumper rather than the machince screws in the rear. I imagine the reason is that many states (more than half I think) do not require front plates. So rather than use a threaded insert in the front bumper which would look bad without a plate mounted there, they choose to use the self taping screws as needed. If you don't install a front plate, all you see is a couple of dimples on the bumper.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:19 AM
JeffM
3rd Gear
The stock rear plate screws are M5x0.8, about 8mm thread length. This should work with either a bare plate or a thin frame. If you use a thick frame, then you might need to step up to 10 or 12mm long screws. I just put stainless screws in my plate, and could only find 10mm at the hardware store so I just added a washer underneath each to keep them from sticking out the back too far.