Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior What do you think about these lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Mini Works
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think about these lights

How do you guys like this look,

The PIAA P-9000 installed in the lower grille
(This is a photoshop version, just a try out)

The new P-9000 Ring lamp is a 4" (100mm) round
lamp with a long range driving beam and an L.E.D.

Halo Ring as an accent. The L.E.D. Halo Ring emits
a white glowing ring around the Super White lamp,
similar in appearance to the headlamp of the BMW
5 Series sedans.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would they be more effective mounted higher or doesn't it matter?

Old 04-05-2006, 10:55 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Squirlz
Would they be more effective mounted higher or doesn't it matter?
yep, they are designed as driving beams so it should be mounted higher, same height as the headlights...

that said, the photoshop job looks good....

Old 04-05-2006, 11:20 AM
agile_moments
4th Gear
eh, not really my cup o tea, Given they are PIAA, so no doubt they are quality, something about them just looks sorta cheap to me

Old 04-05-2006, 01:29 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Works
How do you guys like this look,
You opened up a can of worms asking that so since you asked
  1. See http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/p-9000.html. Thats a 15 Degree driving light ... not quite a pencil beam but you want those light as HIGH as possible. On the roof would be ideal but the grille will do Never put driving lights where fogs go ....
  2. H1 halogens with those PIAA 100W equivalent marketing hype. See http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/...uperwhite.html Note where he calls them a "sham" and in particular "The laws of physics are the laws of physics. They don't bend even for the highest-paid advertising agency. There is no way to get "85 watts of light for 55 watts of electricity." I particularly like that quote
  3. Check out the price of those bulbs ... about $100 for a pair Normal H1s are less than $20/pair. Whats with that?
  4. Of course, you can't believe everything you read so when I was looking for decent auxiliary lighting I went to my local speed shop ... full of Japanese bulbs complete in packagin without english. I asked about the PIAAs and those guys specifically said ... forget about them, you get LESS light.
  5. I don't get the M5 comparison. Whats the point of that? Who cares if you look like a BMW ... this is a MINI where youification and being unique is the norm. Trying to look like another car is ... ???
Sorry dude ... IMHO, not a good buy.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Mini Works
5th Gear
Should we believe every thing we read?

Personnally, I think they look good there, and original, not every mini will have these.

I might install a set

Victor

Old 04-05-2006, 01:57 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Works
Should we believe every thing we read?

Personnally, I think they look good there, and original, not every mini will have these.
r
No, we shouldnt believe everything we read but if enough people and resources tell you that mounting driving lights where Fog lights go, I would tend to go with the people who do it for a living .... like the Rally Drivers. Ever see their light rigs? Do you see driving lights where their fog lights are??? Where would they put their FOG lights?

The PIAA bulbs at $100 a pair are ... well call em what you want. You won't see any better from them

but they might look "cool" if you want form over function.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:33 PM
jaynicholson
5th Gear
Old 04-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hehehe those dont look good at all. Look very "honda" style to me.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:07 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chows4us
You opened up a can of worms asking that so since you asked
  1. H1 halogens with those PIAA 100W equivalent marketing hype. See http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/...uperwhite.html Note where he calls them a "sham" and in particular "The laws of physics are the laws of physics. They don't bend even for the highest-paid advertising agency. There is no way to get "85 watts of light for 55 watts of electricity." I particularly like that quote
  2. Of course, you can't believe everything you read so when I was looking for decent auxiliary lighting I went to my local speed shop ... full of Japanese bulbs complete in packagin without english. I asked about the PIAAs and those guys specifically said ... forget about them, you get LESS light.
not defending the piaas or anything, but the piaas are designed for looks, not for anything else...

i just turn them on just for looks, i dont have oem fogs so i got piaa fogs put on with some nokya bulbs, so far so good... so im not complaining

Old 04-05-2006, 09:05 PM
F15EWeapon
5th Gear
Uh, yeah, it would be a looks thing for me. I'm not a night-time rally racer, nor to my HID's and Fog's leave some amount of light really missing for me. I'm in the city, and rarely venture into unlit areas at night anyhow. It's bling, and considering the total theme I'm shooting for aethetically for my Mini, I think these will end up fitting the bill for me.

That said, the Daniel Stern lighting info is awesome... he's clearly very knowledgable. Has anyone purchased his lights? I'm interested in replacing my high beams and fog lights to something better/more color matched for the HID's.

Old 04-05-2006, 09:49 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
they look like laser guns.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Was talking about this tonight a DAMM meeting. I think they would look good if the could be a functional replacement for the turnsignal. Another neat hting could mounting them behind an aero grill. I think I might try doing some custom angeleyes in the 05 headlight surround myself. If you're going for the lower grill type thing then I'd say drop em just a little lower and maybe bring a bit toward center so you'll have a better idea of where they'll be if you use a PIAA maddness or OEM or Hella bracket. I likr the concept though

Old 04-06-2006, 07:02 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yah...putting them behind grilles would definitely help. But the problem is that these are rather long. You need a rather short depth to fit them behind the grill but in front of the radiator.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:22 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kyriian
not defending the piaas or anything, but the piaas are designed for looks, not for anything else...
Agreed. If you want Bling .... thats cool. If you want function, go Hella, Cibie, Marchal, etc.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:24 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by F15EWeapon
Uh, yeah, it would be a looks thing for me. I'm not a night-time rally racer, nor to my HID's and Fog's leave some amount of light really missing for me. I'm in the city, and rarely venture into unlit areas at night anyhow. It's bling, and considering the total theme I'm shooting for aethetically for my Mini, I think these will end up fitting the bill for me.

That said, the Daniel Stern lighting info is awesome... he's clearly very knowledgable. Has anyone purchased his lights? I'm interested in replacing my high beams and fog lights to something better/more color matched for the HID's.
Yes, PIAA is for the bling market. Lots of hype in their marketing. Bling is good if thats what you want.

Daniel Stern is awesome. I believe lots of ppl have bought from him... Some Cibies or Osram 65 watt H7s. He does Email, no online ordering.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:22 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Yes, PIAA is for the bling market.
oh? mine are PIAA's... 520's in fact. does my car look pimpin' ?

Old 04-06-2006, 03:31 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
oh? mine are PIAA's... 520's in fact. does my car look pimpin' ?
In general, 520s and 540s are cool Its the other ones that not very cool .... or functional. They are more traditional in design.

I made the "mistake" of buying these http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/2100.html as driving lights for the Suv. Huge mistake. They are pitiful ... weak, they "look" bright as ...the sun but they barely throw any real light are just like fogs rather than real driving lights.

On the MINI I put Hella FF200 fogs and they throw a LOT of light in front of the car.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:39 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
^^ oh yeah, those are pimpin'. not for me. hehehe.