Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Painting my calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 06:03 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Painting my calipers?

Well, ive been thinking of doing it for... about a year now, but its not since i got my wilwood that i really started to want to do it... right now, i have wilwood black calipers up front, and very very dirty plain calipers in the back, should I paint the back black to match the front? and keep up the 3 color theme that i have going, or should I introduce the Red element (i was originally going to paint them red, because i had red seats before)

so.... should I go black or red, also, any pointers people have would be greatly appreciated.. im not so sure if the wilwood calipers can be painted, i guess todd from TCE or anyone who has painted their wilwoods can tell me

thanks, here's a sideshot of my car as it stands:

you cant see the rear calipers very well in this picture, but you get the idea...

thanks for any input!

on a related subject, im defenite about sanding down the rust on my hub and painting it black, anyone who have done it want to give me some step by step rundown on what to do?

Old 04-06-2006, 06:14 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
I think red would stand out like a sore thumb IMO. I painted mine red, but mines EB/W with Stars and Stripes on top.

That's my 2 cents.....Les

Old 04-06-2006, 06:18 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just ordered a StopTech BBK with black calipers. I too have the grimy rears, so I'll go ahead and paint those black,too.
Any thoughts on the longest lasting caliper paint?
Thanks!
Jim

Old 04-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kyriian
Well, ive been thinking of doing it for... about a year now, but its not since i got my wilwood that i really started to want to do it... right now, i have wilwood black calipers up front, and very very dirty plain calipers in the back, should I paint the back black to match the front? and keep up the 3 color theme that i have going, or should I introduce the Red element (i was originally going to paint them red, because i had red seats before)

so.... should I go black or red, also, any pointers people have would be greatly appreciated.. I'm not so sure if the wilwood calipers can be painted, i guess todd from TCE or anyone who has painted their wilwoods can tell me

thanks, here's a sideshot of my car as it stands:

you cant see the rear calipers very well in this picture, but you get the idea...

thanks for any input!

on a related subject, im defenite about sanding down the rust on my hub and painting it black, anyone who have done it want to give me some step by step rundown on what to do?

I painted mine red because red is faster of course

Painting them is easy. I sprayed mine which turned out great but you need to do a lot of prep. Try the brush on that you can get from the mini vendors.

LongBoard

Old 04-06-2006, 06:44 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jimz68
I just ordered a StopTech BBK with black calipers. I too have the grimy rears, so I'll go ahead and paint those black,too.
Any thoughts on the longest lasting caliper paint?
Thanks!
Jim
I think I got mine from Wal-Mart or some such place. It's a brush on, fast dry, tough as nails paint by Dupli-Color. Has ceramic in it. Kit comes complete with brush, tape and of course paint and I think a spray can of cleaner. You don't even need to take the calipers off. Just bust off the wheel, clean calipers real good, mask, and paint. Makes for a nice Saturday morning. Whilst they're drying, put a coat of wax on the MINI.

...Les

Old 04-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
match the fronts.... are those 17s?

Old 04-06-2006, 07:15 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
I painted mine red because red is faster of course LongBoard
I thought black was the new red!
Jim

Old 04-06-2006, 07:16 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Lime green would be yummy.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
black or silver is my vote

Old 04-06-2006, 07:46 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Originally Posted by XAlfa
Lime green would be yummy.
OOOH!! The color of my first car...1969 Fiat 850 Spider
Mom called it "Turtle barf Green".
Jim

Old 04-06-2006, 08:24 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
I painted the hubs to match my DS body color. Could have been black or silver I suppose. I used that clear liquid that neutralizes rust--you get it from hardware stores, but it's not that jelly stuff. It turns rust black. Then use steel wool and apply paint. Easy.
cheers, phil

Old 04-06-2006, 08:38 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
hm.. then black it is! think ill probably have enough brake caliper paint to do my hubs too...

Old 04-07-2006, 04:35 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I think the caliper color is stipulated by the rest of the car's colors.
Like my PS with dark wheels needed red.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:55 AM
fj0
5th Gear
I'm thinking about painting my calipers silver, or black.

Old 04-07-2006, 05:00 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by fj0
I'm thinking about painting my calipers silver, or black.
I think I would actually do red on your car. They would stand out so much on your black and silver car. Its kind of like mine

Old 04-07-2006, 05:28 AM
fj0
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
I think I would actually do red on your car. They would stand out so much on your black and silver car. Its kind of like mine
But my calipers are so damn small.

Old 04-07-2006, 05:30 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by fj0
But my calipers are so damn small.
I have stock calipers too

Old 04-07-2006, 05:36 AM
G. P. Burdell
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kyriian
Remove all of the rust from the rotor hat with a wire wheel, wire brush, etc. Thoroughly degrease and dry the hat. Mask off the friction surface and spray the hat with a couple of light coats of a high-temperature spray paint. Avoid getting paint on the top of the hat where the wheel meets it; uneven application of paint in this area could possibly lead to wheel vibration. If you get any overspray onto the friction surface, don't worry. The paint will wear away the first time you depress the brake pedal.

I used Dupli-Color Engine Enamel, satin black, to paint the hats on my BMW 328i's rotors. A spray can costs something like $5 at Wal-Mart. As I was upgrading all four corners to larger brakes at the same time, I had the new calipers and carriers powdercoated in a gloss black.

Powdercoating is tougher and more chemical resistant than caliper paint. Caliper paint, on the other hand, is easier to apply, and there's little downtime since you don't have to remove the calipers from the car or disassemble them as you would prior to powdercoating.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Kentiki
5th Gear
I used Duplicolor caliper paint. They still look perfect and it's been at least 1K miles. I masked off and sprayed the rotors with hi-temp BBQ grill paint. It's flat black, but not totally matte, so there's enough gloss so that dust won't stick so easily. The worst part was the steel wool I used to clean the rotors-PITA!

Old 06-05-2006, 12:06 PM
RonP
4th Gear
I want to paint mine green to match my BRG. Anyone use a brush on type paint? Also, any tips on what not to get paint on, on the calipers? Mine are stock. Is there a recommended cleaner to use?

Old 06-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Kentiki
5th Gear
The Duplicolor i used was brush on. It goes on really easily--doesn't gum up at all. The kit came with cleaner, but I went thru that and half a can of Brakleen. Use with good ventilation, the brake cleaner is NASTY stuff!

Ken

Old 06-05-2006, 01:40 PM
neilgj
4th Gear
I used G2 paint. It's the brush on type. It's quite good. You can find it cheap on eBay. You should buy 2 or three cans of brake cleaner depending on how old and mucked up your calipers are. You'll need a hard bristle brush to get all the dirt off. You don't want the paint to stick to the dirt, you want it to stick to the caliper. The brake cleaner is wicked and toxic so good ventilation is a must.

If you take off the calipers it will be easier to paint them but remember: you only need to paint the exterior and visible parts of the calipers.

When you paint, you need to add this thermal protectant to the paint to make it withstand the heat it will be subjected to. Once added this will cause the paint to harder by itself in about 2 hours or so. So if you plan on leisurely pursuing the paint job, buy 2 kits or split the paint in two canisters. There is enough in 1 kit for all 4 calipers.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:07 PM
RonP
4th Gear
Thanks guys.

Where are you buying these kits? Walmart? Or are they only available on ebay?

Old 06-05-2006, 02:20 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by RonP
Thanks guys.

Where are you buying these kits? Walmart? Or are they only available on ebay?
Duplicolor I got from Advanced Auto Parts (a local auto parts place).

Old 06-05-2006, 02:28 PM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
I did red. Its looks the best and would really accent you MINI. I used a kit from Orilley Auto Parts that was about $12. I did 11, count 'em 11 coats. The more the better! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Painting my calipers?