Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior To Clear Bra or Not To Clear Bra - That is the Question (Ple

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 10:36 AM
SquigiDoodle
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for some experienced advice re: Clear Bra. I live in Denver. I work 10 blocks from home. The MINI will be my city car as well as the occasional weekend MINI drive. I certainly understand the many merits of a Clear Bra. I do have a hard time getting over the line you can see from a Clear Bra.

Would love to hear some opinions from people for/against the Clear Bra. Anybody ever experience anything negative relating to a Clear Bra.

Also, if you have recommendations for a company that installs Clear Bras in the Denver Metro area - that would be awesome!!! Thanks in advance everyone. I can also be PM'd.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________
MC VR/W, chrome, 3 pkgs, xenon, HK, sunroof, leather, big smile
Ebbey is booked on the Libra Leader out of Southhampton on 2-18-03. He's scheduled to arrive in Port Hueneme, CA on 3-10-03. Final Destination: Colorado

Old 03-07-2003, 10:48 AM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
The company I had tint my windows also offers the clear bra. They said that it was very difficult to do a good job on cars with the compound curves such as are found on the front of the MINI, and flat refused to do mine as it was black and made the job even harder. Since they were turning down a job that would have cost over $500 I believed them. Beware of bubbles and wrinkles if you choose to do this.

Old 03-07-2003, 10:53 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try doing a search of the forums...
Here's one of many previous threads on this topic.

Old 03-07-2003, 11:11 AM
diamini
Banned
Clear bra protection is what Diamond Racing has on both of our cars. Now recentlly we have had to replace the front Aero Kit on one car. The bad thing was we did not put Diamond Shield Protection back on it. In less then 3 months it has to be repainted.

I am a firm believer in this product.

As for the installation it does take a little patience. But, my car was the first install I did EVER. It came out fine. Diamond Racing offers a self installation kit with each order, full front packages mid $200's. We are a authorized 3M installer in S.Cal and we specialize in the Mini's. (As this was our first 2 cars we installed on...Ours.) But, there are other good installers. Check and see who is in your area or we can refer you to some one.

IMHO-I would not go to a Window Tinter to install this product. The install is similar but the clear bra is not as forgiving. I would use a Authorized 3M Clear Film installer.

Old 03-07-2003, 11:16 AM
diamini
Banned
In fact I was told that the highest percentage of Claer Film users per capita is in the Denver Area. Take a closer look I am sure you will notice this product on other cars alot more now.

Just ask them as well.

Old 03-07-2003, 12:46 PM
res0zvle
1st Gear
Give invincishield (3m product) a try. Its very easy to install and comes with all installation tools/solution/directions/video. It turned out perfectly when I installed it on my Porsche and I plan on doing the same on my MCS.

Old 03-07-2003, 12:58 PM
BMINI
3rd Gear
DiD recommended a place called IDS in Littleton to me. (303-734-4500) Thanks Dave! I am definitely going to call them very soon. I washed my MINI today and noticed lots of little pings/chips in the front already...and I've had it less than 3 months! The sand & gravel is brutal here.

Old 03-07-2003, 02:44 PM
0wen0
3rd Gear
YES!

I live in Denver and the rocks and gravel are out of control! For $200 it gives a little piece of mind. Now, if there were just something for the windshield too. I've had my car for a month and my windshield is pitted to hell! One day I'll move....***** moan....

Owen

Old 03-08-2003, 02:29 PM
SquigiDoodle
2nd Gear
I will have an aftermarket company install the clear bra. I have no interest in doing that myself.

How long do I need to wait until I have the clear bra installed? In other words, is the paint still curing since the car was recently painted? Should I wait a good 3 mos. before installation? Any thoughts from the gang??? Thanks.

Old 03-08-2003, 02:37 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I had a full frontal wrap done (hood, bumpercover, mirror caps, grille slats, and headlights) for $450. Very nice work at I.D.S. Plus, they have done a bunch of local MINIs.

I.D.S.
(less commonly known as Integrity Dealer Systems)
8071-B South Broadway, Littleton
(303) 734-4500

Old 03-09-2003, 08:56 AM
SquigiDoodle
2nd Gear
Hey Dave - Good to know they're experienced w/doing MINI's. How long should I wait before having it done? i.e. paint still curing from being recently built, etc... Do I need to worry about that??? Thanks!

Old 03-10-2003, 11:10 AM
lily
1st Gear
Squigi,

I just called IDS. They said they can do the wrap right away. No waiting period. They need a full day to do the work (the work Dave described).

Have you heard anything about the Libra Leader? Supposed to dock today. Yay.

Old 03-10-2003, 11:20 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I know Ralph Schomp MINI has put clearbra on cars before they were delivered to some customers. Based on that, I would guess there isn't an issue with needing to wait for the paint to harden further. I had my clearbra done as soon as I got the car back to Colorado from picking it up in New York.

Also, for anyone from Denver that isn't already a member: Join MINI5280 :smile:

feel free to e-mail me at: dave@mini5280.org

Old 03-10-2003, 11:45 AM
lily
1st Gear
Dave,

My MCS will be delivered with the stripes installed. Based on other threads in this site, it seems that it may be a problem to install the clearbra over the stripes. Do you agree??

Also, since you are in the know, is there a chrome grill for the MCS or not? Someone, somewhere on this site mentioned that there is a chrome grill in the UK. When I spoke with Aaron at Schomp, he said the MC grill does NOT fit the MCS. It seems to me that others have fit the MC grill on the MCS.

I'd like to replace the grill so that I can install the clearbra...

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Lily

Old 03-10-2003, 12:00 PM
Nobull60
6th Gear
I have a Real Bra from Colgan and let me tell you that there is noway I would ever get the clear film type on my car. Not only does it stop the debris (Colgan real bra) from hitting and sticking to the cars paint but it also acts like a cushion when and rocks hit it. This will stop the paint dings. Looks cool to... Clear film will cut no matter who does the unstall. If you hit a large item like a stone the film can get cut and over time dirt works its way into the cut. To me that looks worse that a chip in the paint. I had clear filw on a truck I owned and after a year I took it off and bought a bra for the reason I stated before. My choice would be a Colgan from Mini-Mania. $99.95 + shipping. Great tight fit and great product.

Old 03-11-2003, 09:26 AM
SquigiDoodle
2nd Gear
Hi Lily,

Great News. :smile: Our ship did dock yesterday as scheduled. I believe my car has been released to the VPC. I'd be surprised if yours wasn't I've got meetings all afternoon so I'll try and call ASK MINI sometime today for an update.
Karen

Old 03-13-2003, 02:19 PM
ssimms
2nd Gear
My .02 cents is go for it. I love mine. Had the bonnet, bumper, tailgate liftover all done at All That Jazz on Arapahoe Rd. Right at $400 dollars, life time guarantee to original owner and I have had experience previously with them standing behind this guarantee. Besides they did a full 18" width on my bonnet and the full bumper, which I think with the broad slope on the nose is necessary. They will do clear bra on mirrors, lights etc. They'll do your whole car if you like. They are awesome. Also do window tinting for a fair price. I had this all done the day after I picked my Cooper up and haven't had any problems with the paint. Remeber, it takes about 3 weeks or so after the car is built to get to the US. In my case it was 5 weeks. My car looks great even though I have destroyed the windshield this winter. (Commuting 75 miles per day on I-25.)
The small strip over the lift edge of the hatch has already saved serious damage from my kids and their backpacks.
I will continue to use All That Jazz in the future. They are such nice reputable people. (By the way, I have no financial interest in this company just love to tout a great retailer.)

Scott

Old 03-13-2003, 05:16 PM
perfpow
3rd Gear
We have used quite a few of these clear shields on race cars and street cars. It saves the paint from rock chips without a doubt. Some guys can install it flawlessly. It has be to someone whose professional work you have seen. Beyond finding someone good to apply it, even when applied perfectly it hides the paint job underneath. People often walk into our shop and start looking at a car with this shield curiously, only to comment on the poor repaint of the hood. So, it does protect paint. It can be applied without bubbles by a pro. It stops you from enjoying your beautiful paint job. It's a bear to remove it, with or without a heatgun. I tried everything. Hours and hours.
I felt bad when my grandparent passed away never having enjoyed the material of their flowered couch. They never took that heavy plastic cover off. Yours too? I vowed early on not to put a 'bra' on my 911 and I wouldn't have it on my Mini.

PefPow

Old 03-13-2003, 06:13 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
There's an episode of Two Guy's Garage coming up next week on this subject.

It can go over or under your bonnet stripes (its under mine)

It works! It is nearly invisible. Its made by 3M

Vinyl bras can damage your paint via moisture & abrasion.

Old 03-14-2003, 07:16 AM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
Does anyone have a recommendation on reputable aftermarket dealers for the clear bra in the Boston area ??

Thanks---

Old 03-14-2003, 06:18 PM
Skvarcius
2nd Gear
Mini of Peabody works with AutoBahnd ( http://www.autobahndint.com ). i have this installed on my car and am pleased with the results. Before getting it installed, I actually talked directly to the folks at autobahnd. They have their own guys do all of the installs. You can also count on Mini of Peabody to stand behind what they sell.

Old 03-15-2003, 05:33 AM
MotorWorf
4th Gear
I used the 3M plastic clear from X-Pel. I think it is the same as what your Mini dealer is selling. I've had it on the front of my F-150 Harley-Davidson since the summer of 2000 and it has worked well. No chips from the stupid gravel trucks near my house. I had to replace my mirrors and and the stuff came off without damaging the paint or leaving any marks or discloration, but it would not go back on again.

Old 03-15-2003, 08:40 AM
Lenny
Neutral
I live in New England and my clear bra paid for itself many times over. Yes, there is a line but the quality of the jobis perfect. My dealer recommended it after he saw my old car!

Old 03-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Skvarcius
2nd Gear
I just got done washing and waxing the car. It feels like spring here in MA. Here's a shot of the Autobahnd kit. The most noticeable seam is the on in the center of the bumper. it doesnt bother me though.

Old 03-31-2003, 07:54 AM
SquigiDoodle
2nd Gear
I recently heard the clear masks can peel away & yellow. I've also heard it will eventually look like a piece of tape of that portion of the bonnet. I've heard horror stories of people having to replace theirs every 6 mos.

Anybody experience any of these issues??? I got my car on Saturday and am trying to decide if I should get it done this week. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior To Clear Bra or Not To Clear Bra - That is the Question (Ple