Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Stripe Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006 | 11:10 PM
1QKMNIS
|
3rd Gear
Stripe Removal

Okay, here is my dilemma....I woke up one day and decided I din't want my bonnet stripes anymore. I dont really like the look and really want to go viper stripes because I love them So I trailed down to my car....was picking at a corner and managed to just pull a stripe off...low and behold....every ounce of sticky was left on the hood...OH GREAT . So I get my goo gone and start scrubbing...after 20 minutes I am missing a patch of skin on 2 of my fingers and all I have done is get the stickyness to leave...now I just have wax stripes.... This happened to both stripes and I need to know how to get the wax crap off Please help me.....I tried the hair dryer approach, went to a pressure washer, my finger (bad idea), just everything to no avail.

Old 04-20-2006 | 11:31 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 1QKMNIS
Okay, here is my dilemma....I woke up one day and decided I din't want my bonnet stripes anymore. I dont really like the look and really want to go viper stripes because I love them So I trailed down to my car....was picking at a corner and managed to just pull a stripe off...low and behold....every ounce of sticky was left on the hood...OH GREAT . So I get my goo gone and start scrubbing...after 20 minutes I am missing a patch of skin on 2 of my fingers and all I have done is get the stickyness to leave...now I just have wax stripes.... This happened to both stripes and I need to know how to get the wax crap off Please help me.....I tried the hair dryer approach, went to a pressure washer, my finger (bad idea), just everything to no avail.
Try WD40 in the shade, let it soak a little, scrub gently, then wash and wax.

Old 04-21-2006 | 12:03 AM
1QKMNIS
|
3rd Gear
Hmmm.....

Reallyyyyyy.......KOOL! I will definately give anything a try.....is there any chance to harm the paint or clearcoat?:impatient

Old 04-21-2006 | 08:53 AM
zrwon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 1QKMNIS
Reallyyyyyy.......KOOL! I will definately give anything a try.....is there any chance to harm the paint or clearcoat?:impatient
The WD40 won't do any harm but the type of rag you use might, if you use a 100% cotton rag like a diaper or something you should be fine, you'll need to wipe it off till there is no trace of WD40 left and it will wipe off dry, I even wash windows with WD40 believe it or not and it wipes off dry, don't do it on your car windows though there's no need for that but I work at a cement terminal and when it rains the cement will stick to the office windows and WD40 works like a charm.
The reason why I told you WD40 is I'm sure you have it on hand, who doesn't? and it should work, I've used it on our trucks decals and it's the same glue.

Old 04-21-2006 | 09:01 AM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Rubbing alchohol or water clear kerosene will soften the adhesive, too. Do small sections at a time. Be careful and take your time, it will come off.

Old 04-21-2006 | 01:13 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
I just changed my bonnet stripes and had that problem (half the adhesive on one stripe). I used GooGone on a paper towel. I soaked the paper towel and did very small sections (about 3"-4") at a time. At first there was almost no change, but after a couple of minutes the adhesive started to ball up. I changed towels frequently and kept them saturated with GooGone and eventually got all the adhesive off. Then a trip to the car wash to hose off the bonnet.

Plenty of GooGone, change towels often, and take your time--it will work.