Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Roof Flag Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006 | 06:42 PM
jasonsmf
|
5th Gear
Roof Flag Issues

I currently have a factory Union Jack roof flag on my MCS. It was installed at the dealership, has already been back once because of the corners peeling up. This graphic is multiple small pieces that all go together to form the entire flag. It seems as there are so many sharp corners that want to peel up easily, I just noticed 4 or 5 more corners that are starting to pull away from the paint. Has anyone else had this same problem? It looks like some of the aftermarket roof flags are of a one piece design, this is starting to look like a much better design if you ask me. Any input on this topic will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 04-25-2006 | 06:50 PM
C4
Banned
I also have the OEM Union Jack roof flag in my '05 MCS and it was also installed at the dealer prior to delivery. 14 months later, I have not had any problems with the roof graphic in terms of pieces peeling back, etc. The only problem I see with most roof decals in general is that dirt tends to accumulate around the edges of the sticker.

If you are having all those problems with yours, all I can say is that the decal is defective or the installation was defective or both. Typically after the decal is placed on the roof, the car must be left indoors for 24-48 hours to allow the decal to dry and not "shift".

At any rate, the decal + installation should be covered under warranty. Take it back to the dealer, show them the defects and have them re-do it by peeling it back and putting a fresh UJ flag in there.

My '04 MCS also had the OEM UJ flag and never had a problem with the graphic either.

Old 04-25-2006 | 07:00 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Originally Posted by C4
I also have the OEM Union Jack roof flag in my '05 MCS and it was also installed at the dealer prior to delivery. 14 months later, I have not had any problems with the roof graphic in terms of pieces peeling back, etc. The only problem I see with most roof decals in general is that dirt tends to accumulate around the edges of the sticker.

If you are having all those problems with yours, all I can say is that the decal is defective or the installation was defective or both. Typically after the decal is placed on the roof, the car must be left indoors for 24-48 hours to allow the decal to dry and not "shift".

At any rate, the decal + installation should be covered under warranty. Take it back to the dealer, show them the defects and have them re-do it by peeling it back and putting a fresh UJ flag in there.

My '04 MCS also had the OEM UJ flag and never had a problem with the graphic either.
I have a factory Old Glory that I installed myself. Have had absolutely no problems with it. Preparation is the key to these installs. If the top is not perfectly clean, it's not gonna stick (maybe you got a Monday morning install). Get your dealer to remove and replace it.

....Les

Old 04-25-2006 | 07:13 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
It can be a somewhat no-win situation.

Flags made from multiple pieces of solid colored vinyl will resist fading for several years, but all those little pieces and corners are subject to peeling away.

Flags made from printed vinyl will fade much quicker, especially if exposed to direct sun a lot of the time.

Fortunately, you have a factory warranty on your's. When I had problems with a sunroof flag from a NAM vendor disintegrating after less than 9 months, I was out-of-luck when it needed replacement.

Old 04-25-2006 | 07:20 PM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
The Mrs has an '02 w/ factory UJ flag. No problems, take yours back to the dealer.

Old 04-26-2006 | 09:21 AM
jasonsmf
|
5th Gear
Thank you to everyone for your advice here. I'm working with the dealership on this, looks like they will probably try another decal and see if that one holds up better.

Jason