Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Do they make signal mirrors for the Mini?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do they make signal mirrors for the Mini?

I'm talking LEDs in the glass, not a signal on the housing. You want people behind you and to the side of you to see that you want to turn... not just in front of you.

So does anyone know if anyone makes glass with the LEDs in them???

Old 05-09-2006, 09:09 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all this time i thought we wanted to get away from SUV's.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
Old 05-09-2006, 10:17 PM
latte hiatus
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Duck360198
I believe kenchan meant that the signal mirrors you speak of are predominately found on larger vehicles. Personally, I've never seen signal mirrors on anything smaller than a Suburban, but you do have a valid point - the MINI's lack of yellow turn signals is certainly not ideal.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:40 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Old 05-09-2006, 10:41 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow, thats hedious.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:41 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Doh, sorry just noticed the part about in the glass, me eyes are tired, oh well.

At least people to the side could see these..

Old 05-10-2006, 07:23 AM
Duck360198
6th Gear
No...I meant in the glass....but you caught that. I actually have some signal mirrors in my current daily driver (Pontiac Grand Prix). Yes, they are found on SUVs as well...because GM offers them stock on many SUVs. But many cars also have them as well.

These LEDs are extremely bright and an AWESOME safety feature. Not only that, they look awesome...especially at night. Since the mirrors stick out, they make you so much more noticeable. In all honesty, switching lanes has been so much better. People see you and slow down to let you in.

As far as I know, no one makes a kit. But hte company said that they would consider a kit if there was enough interest....and that they had the components all ready and the electrical system is able to be worked with.

Here are some pics (I don't have any of them on my Grand Prix)

Old 05-10-2006, 08:51 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
^^ this reminds of people that forget to unhook their rear deck light
after installing a rear spoiler with LED.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:03 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Oh, I dont like those.....yuk.

We already have the side signals on the front 1/4 pannel, how much more do you need?

Nik

Old 05-10-2006, 09:08 AM
06MCSa
2nd Gear
"You want people behind you and to the side of you to see that you want to turn... not just in front of you."

Dont people behind you see the rear turn signals? and The people on your side see the side markers?

I don't mean to be sarcastic, but these obviously present on your Mini. Am I missing something here?

Old 05-10-2006, 09:12 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Yeah no kidding ....Did you not see this little feature on your car about 18inches away from your mirror?

Attached Thumbnails Do they make signal mirrors for the Mini?-14024imgp1788.jpg  
Old 05-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
Hey, the Duck wants more turn signal lights, I say go for it. I don't think I'd do it myself but I can see why someone would.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
It's an added safety feature for crying out loud. It's not like it's a solid arrow all the time or something protruding from the car. It only comes on when the blinker is on.

First you have cars in your blind spot. When they are in your blind spot they are at a point where they typically can't see your tails and see that you want to get over.

Second, it's not just one car that's going to see it. If you are on the highway and there is a line of say, 10 cars...every single one of them is going to see that you want to turn.

I don't have my Mini yet so I don't know how effective that side blinker is. In all honesty, I thought it was just a reflector before. I have been dying for a Mini for a couple years now. I can honestly say I have never seen this side blinker in action and I have seen a TON of Minis (i.e. AMVIV) on the road and turning.

Jesus christ, just forget that I asked! I'll assume no one makes anything like this and it would be pointless to get people to submit a "vehicle request" to a company who would consider manufacturing one for the Mini.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 06MCSa
"You want people behind you and to the side of you to see that you want to turn... not just in front of you."

Dont people behind you see the rear turn signals? and The people on your side see the side markers?

I don't mean to be sarcastic, but these obviously present on your Mini. Am I missing something here?

I live in Las Vegas, where the MINIMUM speed limit is 60mph throguhout the entire city. People are morons in their cars here. It is unfair to assume that everyone can see you in your Mini. People look past these cars because they are so small. If I am on a 3 lane highway in the middle lane and I want to get over to the fast lane, I want to be sure that everyone within about 150 degrees of my mirrors are going to see that I want to make a lane change....rather than those who are DIRECTLY behind me

Old 05-10-2006, 02:06 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
It's an added safety feature for crying out loud. It's not like it's a solid arrow all the time or something protruding from the car. It only comes on when the blinker is on. .
Its redundant, not needed ....Furthermore what you want can only be seen from behind the mirror where as the existing side turn marker was placed there for the same reason and can be see from a much greater veiwing angle

First you have cars in your blind spot. When they are in your blind spot they are at a point where they typically can't see your tails and see that you want to get over.

Second, it's not just one car that's going to see it. If you are on the highway and there is a line of say, 10 cars...every single one of them is going to see that you want to turn. .
Again....no diffrence ....By the way there is only about 6ft between your mirror and the tail of your car....Blind spots do not exist with this car if you have properly adjusted your mirror in the first place!

I don't have my Mini yet so I don't know how effective that side blinker is. In all honesty, I thought it was just a reflector before. I have been dying for a Mini for a couple years now. I can honestly say I have never seen this side blinker in action and I have seen a TON of Minis (i.e. AMVIV) on the road and turning. .
Wow...a reflector huh?.....did you even drive one before you ordered? Maybe you should go back to the dealer and evaluate such a vital safety feature

Jesus christ, just forget that I asked! I'll assume no one makes anything like this and it would be pointless to get people to submit a "vehicle request" to a company who would consider manufacturing one for the Mini.
Correct it is pointless....best I can tell you are the only "owner" who thought this to be a reflector....No one else has asked or will ask for this from a functionality standpoint.....If you just want to be cool with cool lights in your mirror Im sure there are others who want to be just as cool as you and will be ready to drop cash with you for such a cool feature....I and most others will just shake our heads and silently mock those who then post pics and pine for the forums approval of thier cool new "safety feature"

Old 05-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
Are you saying this feature is redundant on the Mini or ANY car?

Old 05-10-2006, 07:30 PM
hppsco
1st Gear
i would love to have mirror with the LEDS in them. You can definately see them. I have a motorcycle, and have just replaced all my turn signals with BIG LEDS. Talk about people not seeing you. my bike is yellow, my helmet is yellow, my jacket is yellow, and people still cut me off or try to run through me. LED lights in the mirrors are a fantastik idea.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:43 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
these are kinda nice and amber...

jk

Old 05-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
Man, if people chose what they're mods were because they were (or rather were not) redundant or unncessary there would be a lot less talk around here. Painting grills, putting on clear taillight covers, changing the existing side markers, blacking out trim, stripes & badges -- how are these things all that more important than signals on the mirrors? Why the thread crapping? If we wanted to get critical about the necessity of mods there are better places to start than here. I think its just the unusualness of the idea (in the context of MINI mods) that has some persons unable to resist criticizing. I'm planning on changing my grill from red to chrome... necessary? NO. Is it what I prefer? Yes. My car, my choice. Duck's car, Duck's choice.

I'm not sure how feasible the mod is... there is power there and there just might be some way to do it... maybe finding the guts from a PT Cruiser or whatever car that has this feature and stuffing it in the side mirror casing. Just brainstorming here, no real idea if it would work. Duck, I hope you do this and post pictures, seriously. I'd consider it myself -- its subtle and would be pretty unique in a MINI.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
Ha ha... and at the same time, there is this thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=68294

Another cool idea that's unnecessary but I'd like to see it.

Viva la difference! Viva la MINIs!

Old 05-11-2006, 05:58 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
I agree with you, Duck, I think mirrors with LED signals in them should be available on all cars as an option. Those that want them, could add them to the optons list and those that don't, wouldn't have to pay extra for them. Don't let the negativity drag you down.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:47 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minitee
Man, if people chose what they're mods were because they were (or rather were not) redundant or unncessary there would be a lot less talk around here. Painting grills, putting on clear taillight covers, changing the existing side markers, blacking out trim, stripes & badges -- how are these things all that more important than signals on the mirrors? Why the thread crapping? If we wanted to get critical about the necessity of mods there are better places to start than here. I think its just the unusualness of the idea (in the context of MINI mods) that has some persons unable to resist criticizing. I'm planning on changing my grill from red to chrome... necessary? NO. Is it what I prefer? Yes. My car, my choice. Duck's car, Duck's choice.

I'm not sure how feasible the mod is... there is power there and there just might be some way to do it... maybe finding the guts from a PT Cruiser or whatever car that has this feature and stuffing it in the side mirror casing. Just brainstorming here, no real idea if it would work. Duck, I hope you do this and post pictures, seriously. I'd consider it myself -- its subtle and would be pretty unique in a MINI.
Just quit pretending it's a vital safety feature then! Just be honest that it is all about grabbing attention and trying to look cool to people you never meet ....Usually the thread is up front about this....This thread is ridiculous because people act like the existing turn signal, litterally 18" away does not exist, as the original poster admitted to thinking it only a reflector.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:09 AM
Duck360198
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minitee

That's just it. I don't think anyone makes these. But there is a company willing to make them if the demand is high enough. All it is is replacing the mirror and swapping it for hte LED one. There's just some electrical wiring that would need to be done and I think the Mini system might be a little difficult to work with. But since everyone thinks it's unnecessary, there's no way there'd be enough people to get this done.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Duck360198
6th Gear
Originally Posted by planeguy
Just quit pretending it's a vital safety feature then! Just be honest that it is all about grabbing attention and trying to look cool to people you never meet ....Usually the thread is up front about this....This thread is ridiculous because people act like the existing turn signal, litterally 18" away does not exist, as the original poster admitted to thinking it only a reflector.
"Just be honest that it is all about grabbing attention...."

EXACTLY! THANK YOU FOR PROVING THE POINT! "looking cool" is a by-product of this safety feature.

planeguy....ANSWER THE QUESTION....is this redundant on ALL cars or just the Mini?

And why am I so stuipid to think that it was simply a reflector? It's made of the same material as a REFLECTOR on my M3. That could have very well been an additional side marker, but no...it's just a reflector.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Do they make signal mirrors for the Mini?