Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Show off your driving lights....Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007 | 12:50 PM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Originally Posted by Jahmills
That is dope!, my favorite so far because it's like the old school Minis in front of the grill.
Then you should love these

No Light's on

Main and Fogs

Driving Lamps and High Beams

Hella 500, Driving Lamps and High Beams

Hella 500, Fogs, Main lights

Hella 500 only

Old 11-29-2007 | 11:41 PM
fishbulb
6th Gear
That looks great!

Can you give some more info on your wiring? Where did you tap for the parking lights?

And, do the fogs go out when the high beams & driving lights come on? That would be the legal way to do it, I am wondering if you or anyone else has sorted that out. Not sure how to set it up so the circuit to the fogs it killed when the highs come on.

...Unless, I just wire into the factory fogs. Duh.

Thanks!

-jac

Originally Posted by nixjosh2
here's mine

alta bar and 4 ipf the two centers have 55w and the two outer have 100w bulbs, wired into parking lamp so can be used without headlights

Old 12-03-2007 | 12:21 PM
ClownCarRacer
1st Gear
MINISport rally lamp bar

Old 12-03-2007 | 08:04 PM
midMOmini
3rd Gear
here is my set up: it is the cheap bar found on ebay that fits very nicely for 40 shipped and 4 hella 500ff's. i am still messing with the switch setup because i cannot find out how to hook up another switch into the factory switch panel.

Old 12-04-2007 | 04:39 AM
Dave_in_Va
3rd Gear
Here's Mine

Coopersport Driving lights (DIY Install)

Attached Thumbnails Show off your driving lights....Please-0703270026.jpg  
Old 12-06-2007 | 09:07 AM
noles825
Banned
How about feelings on different types of lights? I am looking at Hella 500s, but has anyone used anything less expensive like Pilots or anything?

Old 12-06-2007 | 11:38 AM
nixjosh2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbulb
That looks great!

Can you give some more info on your wiring? Where did you tap for the parking lights?

And, do the fogs go out when the high beams & driving lights come on? That would be the legal way to do it, I am wondering if you or anyone else has sorted that out. Not sure how to set it up so the circuit to the fogs it killed when the highs come on.

...Unless, I just wire into the factory fogs. Duh.

Thanks!

-jac
When I had the bumper off I had easy access to the parking lamp wiring, So I just spiced into each side. I have a separate switch for the fogs and the driving lights. If I don't want the fogs on I just hit the switch and same for the driving lights. I did'nt want to only be able to use them with the high beams so that is why these are wired this way.

Old 12-06-2007 | 11:46 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by noles825
How about feelings on different types of lights? I am looking at Hella 500s, but has anyone used anything less expensive like Pilots or anything?
Hella 2500's are less and feature the same 55W driving lamps. They have LED "angel eyes" but if you don't like that look, they don't have to be hooked up. They're smaller (IIRC) than the 500's - don't know if that's a plus or minus for you. I think smaller = better for bonnet-mount applications and bigger = better for lower grille use. It's up to you. Either way, the 2500's are a great lamp at only about $50-$60 a pair.

Old 12-06-2007 | 12:07 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
+1 on the 2500's - here's mine (shamelessly copied from ImagoX)

I personally think these lights are best used as "deer lights" - I keep them aimed about 20 degrees left and right of center - that way they light up the shoulders of the road 100 feet or so in front of the car. That plus I'm running brighter-than-stock high beam bulbs and I have a nice wide illuminated pattern that's perfect for my late night driving on country roads with no oncoming traffic, where my biggest concern is DEER. These lights throw more of a "floodlight" pattern than many of the higher-end driving lights - so if what you're looking for is something that will light up your lane 1/4 mile down the road, these are NOT the lights for you. But if you want to add more light in the area near your car (but beyond the range of the HID low beams) they work well - and are small and light as Matt said. I did some mods to mine to make them look better from the side, and shamelessly copied Matt's custom mounts... but hard to beat the price, and I like the size.

Last edited by BlimeyCabrio; 02-28-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2007 | 12:24 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
I personally thing these lights are best used as "deer lights" - I keep them aimed about 20 degrees left and right of center - that way they light up the shoulders of the road 100 feet or so in front of the car.
Yep - I aimed mine EXACTLY the same way... I drive on a lot of curved, dark roads, so I don't need far-reaching pencil-beams, I need SPREAD to see the corners. I rely on my Highs for distance. I also have my 2500's wired to be switched on with the included switch, rather than with the high-beams only - that way, I can run the Hellas any way I want, and under any conditions, even in the daytime.

Old 12-06-2007 | 12:27 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
I can certainly reccomend the Hella 500s I'vegot 4 of them the driving lights light up everything for at least 1.3 miles ahead (and everything inbetween) I suppose I need to hit Nebraska in the dead of night to see just how far they really reach.

I picked up a set of cheap fog lights decided to not even install them as they were rectangles, but I felt the fit and finish of the kit was significantly weaker than the Hella harness.

Old 12-06-2007 | 12:38 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
...and shamelessly copied Matt's custom mounts... .
Totally forgot about those... I need to have another set made to replace the ones that were destroyed...

Here's the drawing for my custom 2500 brackets. These work AWESOME with the Outmotoring bonnet-mount brackets. The 2500's come stock with a bracket that has TWO mounting holes in the base, and of course the bonnet brackets have but a single mounting hole. If you make brackets to these specs, the 2500's drop right in with the included mounting hardware, and are rock-solid with no vibration. Just use some wide nylon washers under rubber ones between the lamp bracket and the bonnet bracket, and I'd replace the included bolts with stainless steel - adds less than $10 to the final cost and looks good for years:

Enjoy!!

PS - if a vendor ends up making thees for mass production I want a cut. I'd make and sell them myself if I could quit my %$#$@#! job and become a full-time Manufacturer/Vendor, but I can't.

Last edited by ImagoX; 12-06-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2007 | 12:54 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
i've always wondered, the lower quad-light mount like the alta one, does it not block airflow to the radiator? has anyone w/ lots of driving lights mounted ever overheated 'cuz of that?

Old 12-06-2007 | 01:24 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
I made a set of very similar brackets to ImagoX's sketch - my dimensions are a little different (I actually just swagged them in my shop, built it around the light), cut and bent out of steel and drilled (not slotted), made them as low as I could and still fit visually with the light and outmotoring bracket. Painted flat black.

And I had to be different in the wiring, so my three-way switch toggles between off, on, and tied to high beams - so I can have my cake and eat it, too...

And I wired in a bright red LED that comes on whenever the Hellas are on - so I don't forget... put the switch and the LED in the knock-out in my parcel shelf. Wired the angel eyes into my parking lights.

Old 12-06-2007 | 05:04 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by roaduscarnivorous
i've always wondered, the lower quad-light mount like the alta one, does it not block airflow to the radiator? has anyone w/ lots of driving lights mounted ever overheated 'cuz of that?
Air still flows in and around them. A no longer active NAM member Battle Cattle, had 4 fogs and 4 driving lights and no overheating issues in SE TN.

Old 12-06-2007 | 07:16 PM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Originally Posted by Motor On
Air still flows in and around them. A no longer active NAM member Battle Cattle, had 4 fogs and 4 driving lights and no overheating issues in SE TN.
B/C's gallery is empty but here is a MINI with the same set up "The owner lives in NSW Australia"

Last edited by TheWrks; 12-06-2007 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Location of MINI
Old 12-06-2007 | 08:17 PM
loadtoad
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
Totally forgot about those... I need to have another set made to replace the ones that were destroyed...

Here's the drawing for my custom 2500 brackets. These work AWESOME with the Outmotoring bonnet-mount brackets. The 2500's come stock with a bracket that has TWO mounting holes in the base, and of course the bonnet brackets have but a single mounting hole. If you make brackets to these specs, the 2500's drop right in with the included mounting hardware, and are rock-solid with no vibration. Just use some wide nylon washers under rubber ones between the lamp bracket and the bonnet bracket, and I'd replace the included bolts with stainless steel - adds less than $10 to the final cost and looks good for years:

So for the 2500's you need a custom mounting bracket? I really like the size of those lights and am flirting with getting them. Also, do you know of any other brand with a light that is similar in size?

Old 12-07-2007 | 03:57 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
You don't NEED custom brackets with the 2500's - they come with "square" black brackets that were perfectly fine, but not as pretty - I ran them on my car for probably 6 months before making the custom brackets. You DO need the Outmotoring bonnet mount brackets in addition to what comes with the lights. Note that they're actually made to mount low, like in a lower grille area - so they're designed to mount from the top - so we're running them upside down. The only difference this MIGHT make is they may get more water / condensation inside that way if you don't seal them well with silicone - which I do.

I've looked far and wide for other lights of the same size - and haven't found any - everything else I find is significantly bigger, or more radical (like some of the tiny pencil beams). With my color scheme, I wish I could find chrome lights of the same size, but no luck so far.

Last edited by BlimeyCabrio; 12-07-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2007 | 07:06 AM
loadtoad
3rd Gear
Thanks for the help Paul