Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Removing Fender Marker Lights for Painting

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006 | 08:18 AM
Dolmangar
|
4th Gear
Removing Fender Marker Lights for Painting

Hey everyone, I've been doing searches for the last 30 minutes and can't seem to find the right combination of criteria so I figured I'd just ask. I'd like to do something similar to the picture below (thanks to who ever I stole the picture from but I'm not sure how the unit is attached to the fender. I stuck my hand in there this morning on the way out to work, and it appears that it might just be held in with clips, but I didn't want to yank it out and break it. The painting part should be easy, if I can manage to remove the chrome surround.

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2006 | 08:38 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
Stick your hand in there and push. It'll pop right out.

Old 05-12-2006 | 08:48 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
also u want to 'pull' on ur grill as u 'push' from behind to make sure u dont bend that tab/mountin' hole that holds tha grill in place

Old 05-12-2006 | 08:59 AM
Dolmangar
|
4th Gear
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Old 05-13-2006 | 08:30 AM
DownSize
3rd Gear
looks real nice! please post a far away pic when your done!

Old 05-17-2006 | 09:45 AM
Dolmangar
|
4th Gear
Won't come off

I've given it a good try and can't seem to get the marker light surround to release from the fender.

Pulling + pushing on it only seems to get it part of the way out, and this seems to be mostly the tab bending. Apparently it's very tight in the (I'm assuming) friction fit plug. I'm starting to suspect that it's glued in.

Feeling around back there doesn't seem to be much help, although I haven't yet tried using a small mirror to get a better look. I'm guessing that the part isn't that expensive so I might go ahead and buy a new set, paint them, and then do what it takes to remove the existing ones, but I wanted to see if someone here had any other ideas?

Old 05-17-2006 | 09:55 AM
770 KOF
3rd Gear
If what you are referring to is the side marker/repeater lights than are about 6" long and 1" wide they are attached to the black plastic trim that is attached to the bumper covers. The marker lights are held in with 2 nuts on the backside. You will have to remove the bumper covers (front and back) and then you can get them out easily. I had to transfer mine from the stock bumper covers to the Aero bumpers.

Old 05-18-2006 | 04:40 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dolmangar
I've given it a good try and can't seem to get the marker light surround to release from the fender.

Pulling + pushing on it only seems to get it part of the way out, and this seems to be mostly the tab bending. Apparently it's very tight in the (I'm assuming) friction fit plug. I'm starting to suspect that it's glued in.

Feeling around back there doesn't seem to be much help, although I haven't yet tried using a small mirror to get a better look. I'm guessing that the part isn't that expensive so I might go ahead and buy a new set, paint them, and then do what it takes to remove the existing ones, but I wanted to see if someone here had any other ideas?
it is a bit of a chore, jus dont bend that tab to much it will break paint an eventually rust
make sure to push right under tha tab/clip and give it a quick brisk push while pullin' at the same time....also if u can see where that clip is u can get a wide flat head screwdriver in between the grill and tha mountin' tab and twist and wedge it off!!
since ur in chantilly give me a shout and i can help out, im near u. whom do ya use fer paint??

Old 05-19-2006 | 07:56 AM
Dolmangar
|
4th Gear
Joker,

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot. If that doesn't do it I think that I'm going to end up buying new ones anyway and likely break the old ones. I'd rather break them, then risk damaging the fender or paint. Plus I'll get to paint them and let them cure for a few days before I put them on.

As for paint I'm probably going to order from this place:
http://www.etouchup.com/store/agora.cgi?p_id=10035

They claim to have OEM colors, in spray cans. The price seems reasonable. I'll likely buy two cans of white to match the roof, since I may do some other trim pieces as well as the chrome markers.

Old 05-19-2006 | 08:03 AM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
Let us know how it works out. I have been contemplating weather to "de-chrome," or keep it. It will be interesting to see how the process works.

Old 05-19-2006 | 10:34 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
Joker,

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot. If that doesn't do it I think that I'm going to end up buying new ones anyway and likely break the old ones. I'd rather break them, then risk damaging the fender or paint. Plus I'll get to paint them and let them cure for a few days before I put them on.

As for paint I'm probably going to order from this place:
http://www.etouchup.com/store/agora.cgi?p_id=10035

They claim to have OEM colors, in spray cans. The price seems reasonable. I'll likely buy two cans of white to match the roof, since I may do some other trim pieces as well as the chrome markers.

Old 05-19-2006 | 10:59 AM
Dolmangar
|
4th Gear
They are $68 each

They are called Finishers.
Left 51137114733
Right 734

For that price I think I'm going to try and not break them.

OR, I need to find a salvage yard that can sell me a pair.

Old 05-19-2006 | 02:03 PM
WireMini
1st Gear
Has anyone had any issues where after popping them off and when replace them back on - they becomes abit loose, I am guessing that there might have been some double sided sticky tape to hold them in place abit better. Any ideas ?

Old 05-26-2006 | 03:39 PM
Dolmangar
|
4th Gear
Painted

Moss had a sale on the side markers so I picked up a pair so that I would paint them and let them cure without having to drive around without side markers on the car.

The process only took me a few hours. They come apart very easily, one clip and a few twists back and forth. The "S" is a seperate piece so I painted that red instead of having the sticker in it.

I used 300 grit sandpaper to scuff up the chrome and then cleaned with some mineral spirts. Krylon plastic paint from the auto parts store when on easily. It takes a few days to fully cure so I haven't put them on the car yet.

Old 05-26-2006 | 03:40 PM
Dolmangar
|
4th Gear
One more picture with it painted prior to assembly

Old 05-26-2006 | 04:39 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Wow, that looks very nice. That give me a good idea, since I have an IB/B MCS I think this would look awesome. I would want to do the black with a red S. Any further away shots?

And what paint/color to use? I'm guessing Krylon plastic would work since Dolmangar used that. Also, could I use clear enamel (I think that's what it is) as a clear coat?

-Cody

Edit* Get some of these and that black/black would look amazing!
http://mossmini.com/Shop/ViewProduct...eIndexID=41008

Oh, and Moss MINI has the lights (like Dolmangar said) for $25 pair.
http://mossmini.com/Shop/ViewProduct...eIndexID=36694

Old 05-26-2006 | 04:46 PM
Dolmangar
|
4th Gear
I'm planning on using a clear coat on the paint once it has fully cured. I will likely wait a few days since I'm heading out of town anyway.

Old 05-26-2006 | 05:01 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Be sure to post some pics please when you install them on your MINI again. Can't wait to see. But just curious, why did you go with silver and not black?

-Cody

Old 05-26-2006 | 05:08 PM
Dolmangar
|
4th Gear

It's actually white not silver. Since I've got white top, mirrors and wheels it made the most sense to me. Someone told me that I should put smokie lights into the side marker.

Old 05-26-2006 | 05:37 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Nah, I would leave them white. Looks very nice, and wasn't expecting that quick of a response!

-Cody

Old 05-26-2006 | 07:13 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
.:

NiCE ! !
________________.......
i vote, euro side marker(jewel) not "smoked'

It's actually white not silver. Since I've got white top, mirrors and wheels it made the most sense to me. Someone told me that I should put smokie lights into the side marker.

Old 05-26-2006 | 07:27 PM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
Hey everyone, I've been doing searches for the last 30 minutes and can't seem to find the right combination of criteria so I figured I'd just ask. I'd like to do something similar to the picture below (thanks to who ever I stole the picture from but I'm not sure how the unit is attached to the fender. I stuck my hand in there this morning on the way out to work, and it appears that it might just be held in with clips, but I didn't want to yank it out and break it. The painting part should be easy, if I can manage to remove the chrome surround.

Thanks.

Ummm yeah, you stole it from me!!! That'll be $5 bucks j/k

Old 05-26-2006 | 07:37 PM
polizei
6th Gear
What paint type and color did you use? And how much work is invovled in getting that door handle out to paint that too?

-Cody

Old 05-27-2006 | 09:19 AM
Dolmangar
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Lagston
Ummm yeah, you stole it from me!!! That'll be $5 bucks j/k
It's in the mail

Old 05-27-2006 | 09:26 AM
Dolmangar
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by polizei
What paint type and color did you use? And how much work is invovled in getting that door handle out to paint that too?

-Cody
Krylon Fusion for Plastic Paint
2320 Gloss White
2328 Red Pepper/Safety Red

I think the gas cap is next, but I would really like to do the door handles as well. However I'm not sure how the paint would hold up and I think that you'd have to use something more durable. The side markers shouldn't really have much wear and tear, and the gas cap isn't handled that much either.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Removing Fender Marker Lights for Painting