Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Front Fenders with Scallops?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006 | 11:14 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by TonyB
The driver side bottle, including lines, all full was good for 9.5 lbs, a decent chunk I feel. I lost mine a while ago, and have a thread here somewhere on it... Oh, that also includes the removal of the Xenon washer lifters, which might as well get removed also.
Washer lifters? Which part is that? and is that 9.5 full, or empty?

Old 05-22-2006 | 11:21 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Thanks for the specs tony. 9.5 times 2 plus the less weight of the fiberglass panel and a loss of over 20 lbs is not a bad thing on a already front heavy car .

Randy
m7 Tuning

Old 05-22-2006 | 11:58 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Washer lifters? Which part is that? and is that 9.5 full, or empty?
When I said "all full" I meant with fluid at the max. For the weight figure in my sig, I deducted 6 pounds, not 9.5 as I guessed 6 to be a good average, and it's my lucky number . Empty, the reservoir, motor and lines is quite light...

Looks like I removed the photos ( ), but here's the thread, sorry that it went OT in the last few posts:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ight=reservoir

The lifters are the parts on the Xenons that raise, on pressure, to spray the lights. They are very easy to remove. I took-off the chrome covers (pry carefully), and siliconed (high temp) them back in place so it looks like nothing was removed from the outside.

My windshield washer (pass side) is a must here in the canyon, but I'll consider relocating the unit given how these fenders look!

Old 05-23-2006 | 06:35 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
thanks tony

Old 05-23-2006 | 08:23 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini
Thanks for the specs tony. 9.5 times 2 plus the less weight of the fiberglass panel and a loss of over 20 lbs is not a bad thing on a already front heavy car .

Randy
m7 Tuning
No problem Randy. If non-Xenons MINIs also have a tank on each side (I believe so), weight loss can be at least 20 pounds for the complete removal of both systems. While I use my rear wiper, I never use my rear sprayer, and would like to remove the plumbing going back there, but apparently that is quite a chore that I have not yet tackled.

It is my understanding that the driver-side tank handles the Xenons and the rear, while the passenger-side has the windshield...

Old 05-23-2006 | 11:17 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
No problem Randy. If non-Xenons MINIs also have a tank on each side (I believe so), weight loss can be at least 20 pounds for the complete removal of both systems. While I use my rear wiper, I never use my rear sprayer, and would like to remove the plumbing going back there, but apparently that is quite a chore that I have not yet tackled.

It is my understanding that the driver-side tank handles the Xenons and the rear, while the passenger-side has the windshield...
It is my understand that non-xenon minis don't come with the driver's side resevoir. I know that my 02(halogen equipped) doesnt atleast. And in talking to MINI about retrofitting xenons, i was told that MINI's needed to buy the resevoir and pumps etc and have those installed.

There definitely is some weight to be saved, especially with the xenon owners. The GP doesnt come with xenons for that reason i would imagine

Old 05-23-2006 | 11:21 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Thanks for the clarification, and that does make sense. So, the weight savings will depend on whether one's MINI is Xenon or not...

Hey, if you decide to got the Xenon route, and need the reservoir, pump, lines and lifters... well, let me know. I've been gradually clearing-out stock parts, but forgot about that stuff...

Old 05-23-2006 | 11:43 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
Whaas sappening guys, it's been awhile.
So glad to see M7 coming out with new stuff. Good job guys!

I'll be in touch.

Old 05-23-2006 | 11:47 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Thanks for the clarification, and that does make sense. So, the weight savings will depend on whether one's MINI is Xenon or not...

Hey, if you decide to got the Xenon route, and need the reservoir, pump, lines and lifters... well, let me know. I've been gradually clearing-out stock parts, but forgot about that stuff...
thanks for the offer...but i solved my xenon problem by ordering a new MCS, haha

Do you have any idea how much more the xenon housings and ballasts weigh compared to the halogens? I heard that they require 'stronger' hood dampers (the true name escapes me at the moment) due to a higher weight.

Old 05-23-2006 | 01:37 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
I was under the impression that the Xenon's additional weight is primarily due to the washer, but maybe they are heavier, but probably not that much. I've never seen darker roads than in a canyon; and as much as like to shed weight, I don't mind this trade-off... and with the ditching of the driver-side tank, the Xenon weight penalty is eliminated, or at least the majority of it...