Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Pro's/Con's on Mini Fini or OEM Armrest

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006 | 02:49 PM
mistro
|
6th Gear
Pro's/Con's on Mini Fini or OEM Armrest

I'm planning on adding an armrest to my 05 MCSC that has an interior with Chrome accents, silver downtubes, Blue leather with Red/brown stitching and Cool Blue dash panels. I have two choices to accomplish this task.

I can purchase a new but never used Mini Fini armrest from a NAM member for $160 shipped, or I can purchase the OEM Armrest from Classic MINI for $230 shipped (with NAM discount) (this includes the new console, I would need). So what to do?

Mini Fini is $70 cheaper, but no storage, loose a cup holder.
OEM is $70 more, but storage and keep the cup holder, and the trim would be silver and gray/black leatherette which would not match my blue leather, so I'm looking for advice, and is there an issue with the brake handle with either? TIA Michael

Old 05-22-2006 | 03:26 PM
RonP
4th Gear
I'd spend the extra and get the one with storage and not lose the cup holder. You can always get it reupholstered at a later date to match your interior.

Old 05-22-2006 | 06:13 PM
mistro
|
6th Gear
Anybody want to defend the Mini Fini Armrest?

Old 05-22-2006 | 08:00 PM
Smokey
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mistro
Anybody want to defend the Mini Fini Armrest?
I like mine

I've only had it in for about 3 weeks, I went without for 3+ years. Yes, you loose a cup holder - but I have the MINI-Fini version clamped to the right downtube, so it's a wash.

I also have the euroshelf and the Oddiment trays and the glovebox storage so I didn't need the extra that comes with the newer OEM. I bought mine used, so I didn't pay as much as you're looking at.

Also the color of the leather shouldn't factor in since neither will "match" your interior color selection. I do think that the chrome on the MINI-Fini will match your chrome dash accents and the center console color also.

Another plus is; the MINI-Fini is large enough for 2 elbows

Old 05-22-2006 | 10:08 PM
mistro
|
6th Gear
Old 05-23-2006 | 07:21 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
I'm happy with factory arm rest but from my point of view, you effectively lose the rear cup holder. The space between the support arms is narrow enough to restrict all but fairly narrow cups (my travel coffee mug won't fit).

Old 05-23-2006 | 09:11 AM
MINIFINIMAN
Former Vendor
A little input from the manufacturer. After I bought the company I found two complete Mini-Fini armrests in the boxes we unloaded. I put one of them in my car. As objective as I can be, I'd say I don't know how I did without it. The installation only took two hours. I had the opportunity to try out the new OEM version in a loaner car I had during a service visit . Though the increased utility of the sliding storage seems attractive, I did find it to be considerably less sturdy, and shorter than the MiniFini version. The MiniFini arm rest has a steel column and base plate that is bolted into the center frame of the car, the padded rest has two 1/2" 13 ply hardwood cores inside. The pivot arm is solid billet machined alum. extrusion. All of this makes for a very sturdy, durable unit that will provide years of motoring comfort.

Last edited by MINIFINIMAN; 05-23-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-24-2006 | 10:08 AM
Smokey
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIFINIMAN
A little input from the manufacturer. After I bought the company I found two complete Mini-Fini armrests in the boxes we unloaded. I put one of them in my car. As objective as I can be, I'd say I don't know how I did without it. The installation only took two hours. I had the opportunity to try out the new OEM version in a loaner car I had during a service visit . Though the increased utility of the sliding storage seems attractive, I did find it to be considerably less sturdy, and shorter than the MiniFini version. The MiniFini arm rest has a steel column and base plate that is bolted into the center frame of the car, the padded rest has two 1/2" 13 ply hardwood cores inside. The pivot arm is solid billet machined alum. extrusion. All of this makes for a very sturdy, durable unit that will provide years of motoring comfort.

And don't forget it's got room for 2 elbows

I can attest to the sturdiness of this thing and the fit & finish with the black billet is fantastic.

Glad to see you didn't use that old line about "liking it so much you bought the company"

Old 05-24-2006 | 02:06 PM
MINIFINIMAN
Former Vendor
hey, the thought crossed my mind but I figured it might be trademarked. Glad to hear you like the armrest we are assembling all of the materials to produce a run of them now. thanks