Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior I'm about to install a pair of Sparco Roadsters

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 12:36 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ncirillo31
hey my name is nik im 18 i just bought an 06 chilli red mc s jcw with black roof/mirrors and black stripes i wonna put racing seats in and i dont know wich seats fit and what to do with the belts i was looking at red sparcos and thats what im seriousy considering if someone can help me that would be great thanks
congrats on the new ride, i might not be the first to be a little jealous that you have a spanking new 06 JCW when you're only 18

but back on topic... seat wise, what exactly are you using it for? racing? show? are you gonna need access to the back? what kinda bodysize are you? large? small?

Sparco has a comprehensive chart they have measurements from parts of the seat.... their street seats that can tilt are larger because they are designed for comfort and ease of access.... full buckets can be a pain to get in and out (as i quickily learned in my sparco)

racing wise, you can go with onasled's spaco fighter setup, which has a set of belts ready to go... sparco fighter also easy enough to access.... most of the other sparco seats like my REV, or the EVO, have higher side bolsters that isnt so ideal for daily access in and out, or in the winter time when you have large jackets on...

if you need rear seat access, then its a matter of how much money you are willing to land down... sparco milano prestige in leather is EXPENSIVE!!! it goes down to their suede version, then the monza, then the torino... and the sienna...

so overall, if you are not racing, stick with their street seats, you can thank me later (i have a rev, and the pain in the *** access EVERY time i try to get in is annoying... the hard shell is rock hard and unconfortable on long journeys longer than an hr)

to the harness.. you can run a schroth quick-fit... although it is safety is designed for a mini with stock seats....

for safety reasons... your best bet is to install a rollcage with a horizontal brace(be it removable or not), and just install your belt there... cuze then you have the safety of roll over protection (oem seatbelts are not so good for seats that cant collapse...), that's why everyone here will tell you if you want racing harness on a racing seat, you need a rollbar, with a horizontal harness

ill ask once more.... if you are doing for only show, then stick with a stock seatbelt on some nice sparco milano or monza.... they look great, fit great

Old 07-23-2006, 04:35 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nic,
Kyriin has some great points.
Mine are still available. They can be used with factory belts, no problem.
They come with everything needed with the exception of one out of the two needed resistors to keep the air bag light from coming on. They could be in and ready to use in 20 min.
I have also added extra padding to these so they are much more comfortable for long trips.
I'm in CT and you are more then welcome to come and test fit these seats to see if they are something that you might be interested in.

Anyway, ask away if you have any questions on mine or any other seats.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:07 AM
ncirillo31
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow thanx for the replys, im very small actually im only 5'2 but i am looking for access to the backseat dont all of the seats slide enough so you can put something in the back?

Old 07-23-2006, 11:08 AM
ncirillo31
1st Gear
oh and also im looking for a street racing type seat i want to use the simplest belts as possible tho

Old 07-23-2006, 11:58 AM
ncirillo31
1st Gear
looking at it now i would like to do the same set up as dave nagey if backseat access is possible

Old 07-23-2006, 12:52 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
looking at it now i would like to do the same set up as dave nagey if backseat access is possible
its... iffy.... i still bet on that you'd get the best rear seat access with a street seat like the torino, milano, sienna, or monza.. all which the rear seat back tilts forward

Old 07-24-2006, 10:21 AM
DaveNagy
2nd Gear
No, with fixed-back seats like my Roadsters, you will lose access to the back seat. Which is why I removed mine...

On the other hand, I find them to be more comfortable than the stock "sport" seats. (I always found the stock seats to be somewhat uncomfortable.)

Old 07-24-2006, 02:24 PM
ncirillo31
1st Gear
yea i think i want the flip seats like the sparco torino milano sienna or monz ..now next step lol whats involved with the passenger airbag resistors?

Old 07-24-2006, 10:21 PM
jerjer
4th Gear
yea i think i want the flip seats like the sparco torino milano sienna or monz ..now next step lol whats involved with the passenger airbag resistors?
thought to give u a heads up, over at www.overboost.com 's store, they have a 50% off sale on the milano prestige seats in tan. $649 or sth like that.. crazy deal !

Old 07-24-2006, 11:30 PM
ncirillo31
1st Gear
wow, thanx man ill look into it def.. anyone have any thing about the passenger airbag set up?

Old 07-24-2006, 11:51 PM
ncirillo31
1st Gear
im buggin out i changed my mind allot but i think ive decided on the sienas a few things i want to know.. where to order from?..what to do about the seatbelts ?i would like to use the stock but i wud like to put a sparco sleeve or something if possible, wat to do about the mounting andd the airbag? and how much do regular mini seats weigh? i know its allot to ask but i hope 1 of u guys can give me all the info i need thanx allot

Old 07-25-2006, 10:42 AM
DaveNagy
2nd Gear
Not sure where you want to order from. I'd use Google/Froogle to see if anyone is having a sale. You may also want to search for a local distributor so you can go look at the seats and save yourself some shipping costs.

Most of these seats allow you to use the stock seatbelts if you wish. You have to detach the buckle assembly from the stock seat, and then attach it to the new seat.

There are plenty of instructions on this forum regarding the airbag resistor "trick". Just use the search function. I already went on in agonizing detail about all the seat mounting options I discovered, but you will probably have to do more research once you've chosen a seat. If you go with a Sparco, their site is a good place to start.

The stock sport seats weigh a bit over 47 pounds, including the sliders.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:06 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
im buggin out i changed my mind allot but i think ive decided on the sienas a few things i want to know.. where to order from?..what to do about the seatbelts ?i would like to use the stock but i wud like to put a sparco sleeve or something if possible, wat to do about the mounting andd the airbag? and how much do regular mini seats weigh? i know its allot to ask but i hope 1 of u guys can give me all the info i need thanx allot
i agree on ordering locally, prices maybe a bit higher locally, but with shipping and everything... you might save a bit of money... that said, some places do ship seats free... so do search around... sparco sienna seats are easy to find

mounting, you need sliders and you need a bracket, the bracket can be brought from sparco, or have a car shop custom one for you...

Old 07-25-2006, 06:29 PM
ncirillo31
1st Gear
what slider should i buy from sparco one thats the same length as mine and i drill the holes in it , i dont know how it goes.. im new to cars im a diesel engine mechanicfor yatchs for my father.. but back to it...yeah the sliders?

Old 07-25-2006, 08:03 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
what slider should i buy from sparco one thats the same length as mine and i drill the holes in it , i dont know how it goes.. im new to cars im a diesel engine mechanicfor yatchs for my father.. but back to it...yeah the sliders?
only one slider set for sparcos.... the sliders should fit just right into the base of the seat, at which point, the other side of the slider goes onto the bracket, then the bracket gets bolted into the car...

Old 07-25-2006, 10:23 PM
ncirillo31
1st Gear
and the bracket is the mini bracket or i have to get one made?

Old 07-26-2006, 05:15 AM
kmickey
3rd Gear
Resistor trick

My 2003 MCS, had success with defeating the side air bag when I installed my Sparco seats.

Purchased 4.0 Ω ,10 watt, ±5% resistors from digi-key.

Had to disassemble the connector to make sure the wires from the resistor were set deep enough into the air bag connector. These resistors are huge to me. Ø0.3" x 1.75" long.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:40 AM
DaveNagy
2nd Gear
and the bracket is the mini bracket or i have to get one made?
Yes, Sparco sells a couple different brackets (bases) for the MINI. I talked about them at length earlier in this thread. I'd recommend the "Flat Italian" base as listed in this doc.