Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior More Lights....

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006 | 09:26 PM
xsmini
|
6th Gear
More Lights....

Just got aound to installing a light bar I purchased from Earl at AMVIVIII. Let me know what you think. Hey were designed to be mounted on the upper grill (on bonnet). I wanted them lower and rearward some. This is what I came up with.

Please dont laugh at my cracked and broken front bumper skin I have hit more than my fair share of misc small animals on the way to work in the early morning hours. I have a new one at the body shop being painted that will soon replace this one.

I still have a wire mesh grill that I have to mount back in that should clean up the front some.

I'll post some more pics when it is totally complete...

Comments, thoughts????

Nik

Old 05-25-2006 | 04:48 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Nice! I like the look of the four lights, especially because they're smaller than the big 6-inchers that come with the Alta kit. Once you get that grille back in, it should look really good.

Question, what kind of lights are they, (fog or driving), who makes them, and what is their wattage?

Anyway, let us see pics when you're all finished.

Old 05-25-2006 | 04:51 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Oh, by the way, be prepared for some people to harshly point out that the lower grille is a horrible place to mount driving lamps. They'll say that the lamps won't work there.

I hear that all the time, it is a huge debate. Just tell them, "Yes, I know that the optimum mounting point for driving lights is as high up as possible, but I prefer the look of them in the lower grille, thank you very much".

Old 05-25-2006 | 08:47 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Dude...between this and the classic, when do you actually work?

Looks good and should look better once the grille is on behind them. Do you have some kind of protective film on them to stop the previously mentioned critters and/or rock from destroying the lights?

Old 05-25-2006 | 08:59 AM
xsmini
|
6th Gear
Thanks, I'm actually trying to work right now ( must say not doing a very good job of it either )

I dont have any protective film on them yet, but have thought about it. I'm not sure of the wattage, or brand, I once knew, but have since forgotten. I have a 45ish section of my daily commute that requires daytime lights, I thought these would be better than runnning the xeons. Mainly for show I guess.

Nik

Old 05-25-2006 | 09:14 AM
Agro
Just as an option...I have Lamin-X film on my rallys. It's a pvc film that is supposed to protect the glass from anything that wouldn't destroy the whole light anyway. And I got mine with a yellow tint. Makes the light look more like daylight. Price was quite reasonable too. http://www.lamin-x.com/

Old 05-25-2006 | 09:21 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
I think that looks good down there and I agee with the other member that said you will get grief as to their location, I know I was expecting it on my install. It is not an optimum location but they still do work to some degree and all I needed was a little more light. You also mention the front end of the car being abused by small " critters '. WIth that location you may have a problem there. What I did to assist in protecting mine from damage was to mount them behind my grill.Our grill is metal so heat is not a issue as well as much more open to let the light through. Yes it does cut down a bit more on light but the PIAA 1500's have more that enough punch . Perhaps this could help you as well ?

Randy
M7 Tuning

This was just after the install and they have since been adjusted upward. At this angle I was frying ants

Old 05-25-2006 | 01:27 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jonnieoh
Oh, by the way, be prepared for some people to harshly point out that the lower grille is a horrible place to mount driving lamps. They'll say that the lamps won't work there.

I hear that all the time, it is a huge debate.
That would prolly be me I wouldnt call it a debate, but rather a fact (although "not work" vice optimum placements is better). Its also written into many state laws concerning the placement, in inches, from the ground to an auxiliary light for both fogs and driving lights.

But, to each their own. If your happy, your happy and thats all that matters

Old 05-25-2006 | 05:22 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Yes, there are more optimum places to mount driving lamps. That is indeed a fact. But, there are those of us motorists who simply need "more light" thrown down the road. The Alta light bar kit, and all other kits of that altitude do help. They help a lot.

The lower grill does make a cool looking spot to mount lights (to us freaks, anyway).

We all are aware that their performance is hindered by the low mounting point, but again, to us, they're still a huge improvement in the dark, versus just the stock headlamps. We'll take it, and be happy!

Old 05-25-2006 | 05:28 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jonnieoh

We'll take it, and be happy!
And in the end, that is what its all about

Plz don't take references to "optimum" positions, technical references, etc as anything more as just trying to help. Sometimes ppl dont either know or understand and such information is meant (at least from me) just to be helpful and nothing more

Old 05-25-2006 | 06:32 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
those lights inside the lower mesh looks great!

Old 06-04-2006 | 07:03 PM
xsmini
|
6th Gear
Finally Finished

Finally got the new bumper skin painted, and now the mesh added. I think it came out pretty good.

Now I got this one done, the classic's water pump failed this weekend. I guess now I got next weekends project.

Nik

Old 06-04-2006 | 07:04 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Finished product looks great!!

Old 06-04-2006 | 08:11 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
that looks superbly sexie. is that custome made or any link to where somebody could order a set like that? Me likieee!!!

Old 06-04-2006 | 08:52 PM
xsmini
|
6th Gear
Thanks guys..... Its custom made. Actually they are mounted on a bar that was designed to be mounted on the upper grill, but I modified it by making some brackets that attach to the backside of the bumper. Then the mesh is some cheap stuff from Kragen.

Nik

Old 06-05-2006 | 05:49 AM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
At this angle I was frying ants

Old 06-05-2006 | 07:01 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
And in the end, that is what its all about

Plz don't take references to "optimum" positions, technical references, etc as anything more as just trying to help. Sometimes ppl dont either know or understand and such information is meant (at least from me) just to be helpful and nothing more
My understanding is that fogs should be mounted low (approx 12" above the road), especially here in the north where driving snow can almost blind you using standard lighting. Is this correct? Here's a pic of Mo' with his new fogs. BTW, nice looking setup, xsmini! You've even got room left to add a couple of fogs on each end!

Old 06-05-2006 | 07:14 AM
polizei
6th Gear
Those lights look great xsmini, but I do think they need to be bigger, like Mo's!

-Cody

Old 06-05-2006 | 10:23 AM
Agro
Looking good.
Now you need to mix up the colours on the front end.

Old 06-05-2006 | 10:36 AM
day96
2nd Gear
license plate

Big Daddy, have you thought about lowering your front license plate so that the front plate and lights look more inline?? Look in my gallery to see what i'm talking about. It's really pretty simple because the factory mounting bracket has two sets of holes. one is US the other is ***. Just flip the mount over and cut the two plastic clips that stick out, for the Us version.

Old 06-05-2006 | 10:42 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by day96
Big Daddy, have you thought about lowering your front license plate so that the front plate and lights look more inline?? Look in my gallery to see what i'm talking about. It's really pretty simple because the factory mounting bracket has two sets of holes. one is US the other is ***. Just flip the mount over and cut the two plastic clips that stick out, for the Us version.
Thanks! I will have to see how that works.

Old 06-05-2006 | 10:43 AM
day96
2nd Gear
well if you end up doing it post pics cause i want to see how it looks.

Old 06-05-2006 | 10:47 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Will do. Thanks again!