Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Chrome grill for S dealer install-lower slat chromed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:25 PM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrome grill for S dealer install-lower slat chromed?

Has anyone ordered the chrome grill accessory only? Are all 4 slats chromed or only those above the bumper?

I just picked up my brand new MCSC , which is fabulous, but it looks like it's missing a front tooth!

I did NOT order the chrome kit - as I did not want the chrome mirrors. I ordered just the grille, for $97.
This is a dealer-installed option, I believe.
On the "Build Your Own" web site, that option shows 4 chromed slats, but as you see in my pic, only the top 3 are chromed!

Please help - I really think this looks unfinished.
Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Chrome grill for S dealer install-lower slat chromed?-mini-c-grille-option.bmp  
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2006, 09:21 PM
hugh
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zzMini
Has anyone ordered the chrome grill accessory only? Are all 4 slats chromed or only those above the bumper?

I just picked up my brand new MCSC , which is fabulous, but it looks like it's missing a front tooth!

I did NOT order the chrome kit - as I did not want the chrome mirrors. I ordered just the grille, for $97.
Been there...done that.

So I had to buy the bottom single slat from the dealer for an extra $25. I was told that you can pry off the existing slat, but when I tried I couldn't get it to budge and I was afraid to force it. The alternative is to drop the front bumper...but I'm mechanically challanged.

I would have had to pay the dealer an extra $50 to do it, but in the mean time I hit a racoon which damaged the radiator and air conditioner. So I had the body shop replace the black slat with the chrome one when he did the accident repairs at no additional charge...and I sold the black grill pieces here on NAM for $75.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:03 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
See my post here concerning the upper grill.

The bottom slat is attached with a strong double stick tape. Prying is really the only way to get it off. Once you can get one end lifted off, it is not bad to pull the rest off. A good suggestions I've heard is to use a hair dryer to soften the adhesive, and once you can get one edge to lift a bit, slide dental floss under slat to cut through the tape.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:22 PM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hugh
Been there...done that.

So I had to buy the bottom single slat from the dealer for an extra $25. I was told that you can pry off the existing slat, but when I tried I couldn't get it to budge and I was afraid to force it. The alternative is to drop the front bumper...but I'm mechanically challanged.

I would have had to pay the dealer an extra $50 to do it, but in the mean time I hit a racoon which damaged the radiator and air conditioner. So I had the body shop replace the black slat with the chrome one when he did the accident repairs at no additional charge...and I sold the black grill pieces here on NAM for $75.
RKW - very helpful - thanks.

HUGH - very dismayed - seems like your situation is just like mine - Dealer says it's "too hard" to do this - though he never told me that it wouldn't be that way!! Claims if ordered as part of chrome ext. package, factory does it, no problem...but grille alone option is dealer's responsibility, and he ain't gonna do it, or whill charge me like $300 for that last slat!!!!!!!!

I don't wanna do it myself, and don't want to pay dealer to do it - I already DID pay!

Aaargghhh....thank heavens this car is SOOO mcuh fun! This shoudl be teh least of mt problems!!

Old 06-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My MCS came with the crome package. All the chrome is there, even the piece on the bumper. If you paid for the chrome grille they should install the whole thing, not just the upper part.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
RKW... thanks for your posts btw... they were helpful. I've ordered the grille parts and once they, and the MINI, arrive I'll give it a go.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:23 PM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
My MCS came with the crome package. All the chrome is there, even the piece on the bumper. If you paid for the chrome grille they should install the whole thing, not just the upper part.
Right - it's when you buy ONLY the chrome grill, not the whole pakage, that the dealer has to do it...
Well, I think I have enough to go on to go back to the dealer and have them make it right. They've done great through the whole process, so maybe this is jsut a small glitch.

Hugh - hitting small mammals seems rather severe - although it worked out well for you, thankfully, I will try some more traditional routes first!!

Old 06-02-2006, 08:28 AM
LeeL
5th Gear
I had it done on mine when the car was delivered. (this was before there even was a chrome pacakge) The dealer actually had to repaint the bumper because it got damaged taking the bottom off. They did not charge me for the repaint.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:44 PM
rclements
2nd Gear
Re: factory chrome grill kit

Hi - I ordered the official factory CooperS chrome grill kit also. My kit contained the three upper slats as one cast plastic piece ( for the bonnet) and a single stick-on "slat" which goes on the lower bumper directly above the existing chromed molding. It replaces the body-color "slat" which faces forward to complete the grill appearance. I am guessing they did not install yours? [ see labelled pic attached]

regards,

rob

================

This is a dealer-installed option, I believe.
On the "Build Your Own" web site, that option shows 4 chromed slats, but as you see in my pic, only the top 3 are chromed!

Please help - I really think this looks unfinished.
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:57 PM
zzMini
3rd Gear
RCLEMENTS - Chrome Grille details please!!

RCLEMENTS...
You are my hero!!!!

A couple of questons...
1. Did your dealer install it for you?
2. How much did he charge overall (option costs $97)
3. Sounds like the bottom piece is just a stick-on that goes over the exisiting body color, or did it REPLACE the slat?
4. Did the bumper have to be removed? My dealer says the whole msut be removed to get that lower slat, but as you describe it, doen's seem that way.

Did you order this when you ordered the car, or did you do it after-the-fact?

I just got a message back from my dealer, sayng they have a way to "work this out", but I have a feeling it might cost me big bucks.
Your timing is perfect!!

Thanks for your help!!

Old 06-05-2006, 06:55 PM
royal4mac
4th Gear
WOW, didn't know I was lucky

Bought the chrome grille only for $97 from dealer, and they just installed it..

Didn't know it was such a big deal

griff

Old 06-05-2006, 11:11 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
3. Sounds like the bottom piece is just a stick-on that goes over the exisiting body color, or did it REPLACE the slat?
4. Did the bumper have to be removed? My dealer says the whole msut be removed to get that lower slat, but as you describe it, doen's seem that way.
The existing bottom slat must be removed, and the new slat replaces it. Removing the bumper is very easy and takes only a few minutes. It is not absolutely necessary to remove the bumper to remove the slat, but it is easier to do with the bumper off.

Old 06-23-2006, 10:14 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Grille is complete!!!

3 weeks later, and all has been put right with my MINI!
I will spare you the gory details, but MoFC and I worked out a suitable arrangement. Frankly, I think they shoulda just slapped on the slat with no hassles, but I am pleased with the outcome.
I worked it out so that I added the chrome boot handle and hinges as part of our arrrangement, and it wound up being as if I had oredered the Chrome Package, price-wise, but left the mirrors white.
So beware - if you order a grille - make sure you now what you're getting!
BMW NA confirms that the grille-only option should be 4 slats, and dealer installable.

BTW - a few dealers out there had a smart alternative - they tell you to order the chrome package, and they just keep a supply of white mirrors in stock. Apparently there's lots of us who love chrome, but also need those white mirrors to math our roofs, wheels, stripes, etc. So they are being accomodating by doing this. To them it;s much easier to change out the mirors then to remove that blessed bumper. I don't think they charge for the mirror.
Why doesn't BMW jsut make that a no-charge option, just like white wheels are?

Thanks to everyone for your help with my dilemma...