Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Center Stripe

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 08:17 PM
MooseMan
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center Stripe

I'm a huge fan of the center stripe on Lil' Octane (that's his name, right? ) seen here: http://www.littlemini.us/technical/v...2/DSCN8901.jpg

I'm on the verge of ordering a SB/S MC and I'm thinking that one of those center bonnet stripes in silver plus some driving lights (speaking of which, see below) would look great! However, I couldn't seem to find such a center stripe in a matching silver. CooperFlags has something called 'Frost,' but I'm not quite sure what this is, and I was wondering if anyone could post some pics of a car with this stripe, or tell me where I could find such a stripe in silver.

Second, my dealer wanted $700 for the driving lights (installed) , and since I'm pretty good under the hood I figure I'd just get the PIAA kit for $260 or so and do it myself. Anything wrong with this, any suggestions? The only problem I can forsee is not liking the PIAA light covers, and coming up with a custom batch of those somehow.

Thanks!

Old 06-04-2006, 09:52 PM
dragonflyer
6th Gear
I can help you with that in any color you need. Check out my website.

www.aestheticreations.net

Old 06-04-2006, 10:16 PM
bmweater
2nd Gear
I'm almost 100% positive that the PIA light covers come off

Old 06-05-2006, 12:35 AM
MooseMan
2nd Gear
Great! I'll PM you.

No, no, of course they come off, it's just for how they look when you're not using them and have the covers on. I know, what can I say, I'm picky.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:11 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ed at Copper Flags can make that up in any color you want

Old 06-05-2006, 05:11 AM
Red Ryder
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MooseMan
I'm a huge fan of the center stripe on Lil' Octane (that's his name, right? ) seen here: http://www.littlemini.us/technical/v...2/DSCN8901.jpg

I'm on the verge of ordering a SB/S MC and I'm thinking that one of those center bonnet stripes in silver plus some driving lights (speaking of which, see below) would look great! However, I couldn't seem to find such a center stripe in a matching silver. CooperFlags has something called 'Frost,' but I'm not quite sure what this is, and I was wondering if anyone could post some pics of a car with this stripe, or tell me where I could find such a stripe in silver.

Second, my dealer wanted $700 for the driving lights (installed) , and since I'm pretty good under the hood I figure I'd just get the PIAA kit for $260 or so and do it myself. Anything wrong with this, any suggestions? The only problem I can forsee is not liking the PIAA light covers, and coming up with a custom batch of those somehow.

Thanks!
Ed, at CooperFlags, did my stripes in silver with a graphite edge. They are regular bonnet stripes, but I know he has the color to do the center stripes, that you like.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:21 AM
polizei
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bmweater
I'm almost 100% positive that the PIA light covers come off
If your light covers don't come off I think you might just have a wee bitty problem.

-Cody (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Old 06-05-2006, 07:35 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!
Dude, don't spend $260 for the PIAA kit when you can get it at www.litewarehouse.com for $161.95! I just got the PIAA 520 ION Fogs and they are brand new in the box. See pic below.....

Old 06-05-2006, 07:46 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all about proportion! I didn't like the proportions that were being sold by the various vendors. AestheticCreations wasn't around at the time, so I used my local sign shop. The installation is the tough part, especially if you don't take off the MINI emblem.

I know Mike can do it, so definitely get a pro--it's not something that can be done without a lot of experience. It's the center hump that's the problem, and why the center stripes are rare on the Coopers, it doesn't allow the vinyl to lay flat since you're applying it to a compound curve.

Richard

Thanks!

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 06-05-2006 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:52 AM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Isn't there a new center strip from the dealer now?

Old 06-05-2006, 12:06 PM
MooseMan
2nd Gear
Nice looking lights!

The only thing is I'm not sure that I'll be able to mount a light kit like that on an MC in that place. Also I'm getting the fog lights as an option and aren't driving lights supposed to be as high up as possible?

I didn't see a center stripe as an option . Do you have pics?

Edit: PS here's to shifting into first gear!

Old 06-05-2006, 04:16 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
I didn't see a center stripe as an option . Do you have pics?
It's new as of April I think, but is not in the configurator yet... there is an article on www.motoringfile.com about it!

I was thinking of getting it since it goes down the back too, but I think i'm just going to stick with the traditional ones... You can get it over your roof too!

EDIT: Here is the direct link with photos! http://motoringfile.com/2006/04/21/m...onnet-stripes/

Old 06-05-2006, 04:39 PM
AndrewH
1st Gear
MooseMan, thought you might like to see what my SB/S with silver stripes looks like Really pleased how it turned out especially given that they only used 1 piece of vinyl for each side of the bonnet scoop They used a heat gun to stretch and mould the 3M vinyl around the complex curves

Old 06-05-2006, 05:36 PM
dragonflyer
6th Gear
Who ever did the install did a really nice job. That scoop is real hard to wrap.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:06 PM
MooseMan
2nd Gear
Too bad whoever did it is in Australia.

Great pics! That looks awesome! The thing is I'm not a big fan of the stripes in the back and I'm going for an MC, and I only like the double center stripes on the MCS (something about that intake!). Again, I'm going for what OctaneGuy has in silver. Can you hook me up, dragonflyer?

Btw, Big Daddy, thanks for that link, they have some great stuff on that site.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:16 PM
dragonflyer
6th Gear
Too bad whoever did it is in Australia.

Great pics! That looks awesome! The thing is I'm not a big fan of the stripes in the back and I'm going for an MC, and I only like the double center stripes on the MCS (something about that intake!). Again, I'm going for what OctaneGuy has in silver. Can you hook me up, dragonflyer?

Btw, Big Daddy, thanks for that link, they have some great stuff on that site.
The cooper really fits the single stripes with pinstripe option very well.
Let's do this thing

Old 06-05-2006, 06:32 PM
MooseMan
2nd Gear
Great! But, umm...

Yeah I kinda have to wait for the car to be built first, though.

No but seriously, thanks for your help, and I'll be sure to give you a PM or an e-mail or something when the time comes (hopefully soon!).

Old 06-05-2006, 06:35 PM
AndrewH
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dragonflyer
Who ever did the install did a really nice job. That scoop is real hard to wrap.
It was well worth the 6 hour round trip to get it done in Sydney by a guy who owns an automotive vinyl shop and who happens to be a member of clubMINI. There is also clear plastic vinyl on the bottom bumper to stop stone chips which is virtually invisible unless you are standing right in front of the car when you can just make out the edges of the vinyl.

Also, I reckon the single stripe with the pinstripes would look great on a cooper especially in the same metallic silver mine are done in I posted my pictures so you could see how good the metallic silver vinyl looks on space blue

Old 06-05-2006, 06:45 PM
MooseMan
2nd Gear

Okay, now I really have to go and study for exams.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Pteri
3rd Gear
Here is my frost center stripe on BRG. This isn't the best pic for showing off the stripe. I have seen some of the gorgeous chrome and silver stripes done by Aesthetic Creations, and they would be beautiful on your SB!

Old 06-05-2006, 06:55 PM
dragonflyer
6th Gear
Yeah I kinda have to wait for the car to be built first, though.

No but seriously, thanks for your help, and I'll be sure to give you a PM or an e-mail or something when the time comes (hopefully soon!).
Oh man. The wait has only just begun Look me up when you car is in.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:13 AM
MooseMan
2nd Gear
Will do!

Hey, OctaneGuy, what size stripe is yours? 5" with 1" accents or something like that? What's the space between the stripes?

Old 06-07-2006, 01:08 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Main Center Stripe: 6-3/4"
Gap: 1"
Pin Stripe: 1/2"

Will do!

Hey, OctaneGuy, what size stripe is yours? 5" with 1" accents or something like that? What's the space between the stripes?

Old 06-07-2006, 04:34 AM
MooseMan
2nd Gear
Old 06-09-2006, 07:05 AM
southernscout
Neutral
i don't see them?

Originally Posted by dragonflyer
I can help you with that in any color you need. Check out my website.

www.aestheticreations.net
HI there. I've had my MINI one week now and this is my very first time on this site. I'm hooked! I love those stripes shown in the picture posted by MooseMan. I looked at your website, but don't see those. Where do I find them? (Hope that's okay to ask here...)

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Center Stripe