Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Removing side marker

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 11:05 AM
tuition
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing side marker

So I was wondering, how do you remove the side marker, not just the lens but the entire thing? Thanks

Old 06-06-2006, 09:48 PM
dlofdahl
Neutral
I am pretty sure that you just open the hood and you can pop them out from behind.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
Yeah, just pop the hood and stick your finger back there and just push out, it takes some force though, there was another thread about this, do a search.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:16 AM
polizei
6th Gear
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=68539

Should be in there somewhere. Be careful though, as some people break the tabs? off and then you must buy replacements. There on sale now for $25 through Moss MINI.

-Cody

Edit* I'm going up to Home Depot now to go get some paint. Approx. how long does it take to cure/how many coats of paint? And how many bottles should I get? Thanks! I'm doing something like flat black with Lagston did. What color did you use?

Old 06-07-2006, 09:02 AM
polizei
6th Gear
Ok, I just went out there and tried to remove the side repeater....there is no way I can get that thing out....I can't even get my hands behind it. Do I have to remove the whole side panel thing of the car? If so, how do I do it?

Pictures and instuctions would be mighty helpful,
Thanks,
-Cody

Old 06-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
I couldn't do it myself. My hands aare far too small... fingers couldn't even reach what I needed to push. Had to get the much larger handed male to help. It took a good bit of force on mine though. Some people say theirs just pop out but mine certainly did not.

Worth the effort though... the black looks much better.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:49 AM
polizei
6th Gear
Yes....I tried it, but there's no way they just "pop out" on mine. And the only place I can even reach is the closest corner. I can push on the black circular tab a little bit, but it just won't budge....

Any tools I can use? You don't need to remove screws or anything, correct? So basicly, you should just be able to push on them from under the bonnet and they should just come out...grrrr this is agrivading!

-Cody

Old 06-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
hmmmm, you should be able to reach the first tab and be able to push that one out and then get the other one from the outside. Give it another try!!!

Old 06-07-2006, 02:16 PM
matma92ser
4th Gear
I pop mine out without reaching from behind. I just slide the lens towards the rear of the car and pull out.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
There is a stem type tab in the front that goes into a hole in a metal piece in the front and then a tab in the back that slides on. It's hard to explain without a pic.

I think some people are giving instructions for jsut the lens, big difference. You have to reach in to take the whole thing.... unless you pry it.

No tools, no screws, just a little force. Maybe someone has pics, I didn't think to take any when we had mine out. Actually... I can take a pic of my spares at home once I get there if no one has by then.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:07 PM
tuition
2nd Gear
I talked to Brian at Webb motorsports, who has switched his out, he said to take a screwdriver, protect the paint with a towel, stick the screwdriver at the bottom of the marker, towards the back of the car, right before it starts to curve, and pry it out. When I get my new markers, I'm gonna try that. Thanks for all of your help

Old 06-07-2006, 08:33 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Jenn, I know exactly what you are talking about. Should I try and push the actual mesh part out, or should I try to pry that screw out from the metal? I'm going to try again tomorrow morning....

I already have the paint, I just had to work, so no time. Actually, these will be off of my car for at least 2-3 days, if not longer (for coats, plus cure time since I work). Will I be fine just taping up the lights/wiring, or will rain ruin the wires? Uh oh....I hope I can still do this. I was thinking of electrical tape, or duct tape and stuffing them back into the bonnet. Sure, it'll look stupid, but it'll look better black!

-Cody

Old 06-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
As promised... here is the pic.

From the side. We did have to do some prying on one... it was just too hard. The stick up thingy on the right goes into a hole in a metal tab... all you have to do it get that to release and then you slide it to unhook the tab. I would use a screwdriver close to the stick up tab and try to cushion it with a paper towel or something. The metal hole it sticks into does bend though, it's a bit tricky. Once you get it out, you will see the tab. Be sure to bend it back into the car a little so the marker doesn't stick out.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:29 AM
polizei
6th Gear
Alright, I'm going to try it.

-Cody

Old 06-08-2006, 08:51 AM
polizei
6th Gear
Ok, how do you get the black mesh out? I got the peices out (OMG! they did NOT want to come out) but now I can't get the black mesh part out. I see that there are tabs, but how to I move the tabs over (since there hooked) to get the mesh out?

Edit* Nevermind, I used a pen, but I broke one of the tabs on the grille, holding the S badge in. Will I will fine with just one?

Edit2* I got all of the parts cleaned, but have to go to work. Maybe I'll start painting tonight, I don't know.

Thanks for all of the help guys, and especially Jenn.
-Cody

Old 06-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
I used the tiniest flat head screwdriver I could find a lot of patience. I was very careful to not break either piece.

Old 06-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are painting them flat black and can live without the "S", just get a set of Cooper side markers for that nice stealthy look. . .

Old 06-08-2006, 09:20 AM
polizei
6th Gear
Well, I have no money to spend, lol....so I had my mom buy some spray paint. I do want the S also.

"No modding until the car is paid off." -.....it's going to be a longgggggg year.....
-Cody

Old 06-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
Cody,

Don't use duct tape, Use painters tape. remove the bulb and maybe put a little piece of a paper towel where the bulb goes and tape it up really well and then tape it to the inside of the fender. Then tape up the fender where the grill was.

If you are planning on removing the red "S" and painting everything black, make sure you remove all of the sticker residue and sand all the edges and corners of the "S". I think I used somewhere between a 320 and 400 grit sandpaper to prep the grilles. I also recommend only about 2 coats of paint, as more might chip easier.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:31 AM
polizei
6th Gear
Should I really sand it? Krylon says it doesn't need it...but it is fake plastic, so not exactly just straight plastic. And I think the only grit sand paper I have is 220. It says very big on the can "NO SANDING OR PRIMING"

And for the outside I used electrical tape, and I also taped up the bulb wires. It shouldn't rain for at least a couple of days, so I should be fine.

And I already got all of the residue off via using goo-gone.

-Cody

Old 06-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
hmm, If it says no sanding or priming, give it a shot. But the paint might adhere better if it's got little valleys to set into. It's up to you, but I'm sure it will be fine if it says no sanding necessary!!

Old 06-09-2006, 05:10 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Ok, here are mine! I decided (after getting spray paint on the lenses.....) to also paint the lenses. You can see kinda see the orange, but not really. I know it's illegal, but who cares.....not me!

Anyway, here:

I think the doors and gas cap would really tie the look in, but I did mess up on the drivers side, by not letting the paint cure long enough (though it did for a good 6 hours). I dunno, I probably won't paint the other parts, due to the hassle of getting them out...well, at least the door handles. Maybe I will, I dunno.

-Cody