Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior So-called "Sport Seats"

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:56 AM
JDPepper
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So-called "Sport Seats"

So, is anyone else underwhelmed by the sportiness of the "Sport Seats"? Or are most Mini owners that much wider than me? My '83 Wabbit GTI had better lateral support! Li'l Pepper handles great, but the seats just aren't up to it. Does anybody sell an aftermarket airbag sport seat?

Old 06-11-2006, 11:06 AM
770 KOF
3rd Gear
I don't think so. Get a Sparco and disable the airbag with a resistor. I love my Sparco. On word of advice though. I don't think it's worth the extra for the movable underleg bolster on the prestige. I have this model and if you move the bolster forward the space left is right where you butt is. I don't know who designed these seats but they obviously didn't sit in one afterwords.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:10 AM
JDPepper
2nd Gear
Airbag Seats

Sorry. I can't see getting rid of Airbag Seats. I paid for 'em and they are there for a reason.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:32 AM
MadHatter
5th Gear
try and look into the recaro seats MINI is using or will be using in Europe. Maybe the will have airbags that are compatible.

Old 06-11-2006, 04:32 PM
WhiteDogs
1st Gear
I agree that the sport seats don't hold you still very well. I'm not tiny but not too wide either and there just isn't enough side bolster for serious fun. A friend as a R32 Golf and the seats in that are fantastic - what ours should be. I think the R32 uses Recaros but I'm not sure, and thet do have airbags, FWIW.

\pat

Old 06-11-2006, 04:46 PM
trickedmotoring
4th Gear
is there anyway to get the jcw seats.

Old 06-11-2006, 04:47 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why do you need a side airbag if you go to a fixed back?

My First MINI

My second MINI

my point is...the airbag is there for when you get into an accident that you will travel lateral into the door....but if you have a seat that has bolsters that hold you in place....you won't be sliding into the door... Make sense?

Old 06-11-2006, 04:52 PM
fred3
4th Gear
Like my sport seats just fine. Perhaps it's not the seats.

Old 06-11-2006, 04:59 PM
trickedmotoring
4th Gear
true, what seats are those.

Old 06-11-2006, 05:17 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
recaro pole positions...the mini is now sold and they are sitting in my room(right behind me), they are my gran turismo 4 chairs until I pick up my m3 =P

Old 06-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I can off pseudo race seats, and the MINI b/c of the sport seats was the most comfortable car (in OEM form) under 75k to sit in IMO; but on the road while better than most of whats out there they still just don't cut it. I say go find a race shop and find something comfortable. The responsiveness gain in how you feel the car will be worth a few avoided accidents, and like MSFIT said if and when the unfourtunate happens the seat (and harness) will keep you in place and away from the door.

Old 06-11-2006, 05:55 PM
coneslayer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MSFIT
my point is...the airbag is there for when you get into an accident that you will travel lateral into the door....but if you have a seat that has bolsters that hold you in place....you won't be sliding into the door... Make sense?
No, not really.

Side-impact airbags serve a somewhat different function than front airbags. They are designed to come between the occupant and intruding metal and glass, rather than to stop and cushion a person's forward acceleration. In other words, in a side impact, the side of the car - and the leading edge of the bullet car - move very rapidly toward and into the person inside, rather than the other way around.
I don't see how any seat is going to stop a two-ton SUV from intruding into the passenger compartment.

Old 06-11-2006, 05:55 PM
gt6
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MadHatter
try and look into the recaro seats MINI is using or will be using in Europe. Maybe the will have airbags that are compatible.
One of the reasons the Racaros aren't being used over here is the lack of side airbags. This was mentioned in an article on the Motoringfile.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:01 PM
coneslayer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gt6
One of the reasons the Racaros aren't being used over here is the lack of side airbags. This was mentioned in an article on the Motoringfile.
According to this Motoring File article, they lack airbag sensors, not airbags.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by coneslayer
I don't see how any seat is going to stop a two-ton SUV from intruding into the passenger compartment.
The seat outs you into a protective shell and with the proper restraints to keep you in it; it can and many times will save you. Remember you sit on the seat in the car now; you sit in a racing seat.

Could you post a link the reason always given to me was it had airbags but no weight sensor for the passenger seat to shut it off if the pasenger was too light/small; something now required in all new US cars, but not yet mandatory in the rest of the world.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:19 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by coneslayer
Nope, but neither will an airbag. I'm no expert, but I can't imagine an airbag is expected to stop something like that. I imagine it's meant to keep you from being bruised and/or battered as you're bashed into the door while you're being jostled around like a rag doll during an accident. Seems to me like a good seat and harness would do just as well.....maybe even better?

Old 06-11-2006, 06:35 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by JDPepper
So, is anyone else underwhelmed by the sportiness of the "Sport Seats"? Or are most Mini owners that much wider than me? My '83 Wabbit GTI had better lateral support! Li'l Pepper handles great, but the seats just aren't up to it. Does anybody sell an aftermarket airbag sport seat?
I agree with you and went to Sparco's Milano within months of receiving my Mini...Proper shoulder holes for a solid Schroth 4 point harness...better than a gas bag anyday BTW...why aren't there airbags in race cars/planes/boats/tanks/spaceships?

Old 06-11-2006, 06:58 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I went with race seats and a Momo Wheel. I have seen instances of way to many Minis and BMW"s having air bags go off for no damn reason. To add insult to injury Mini localy has claimed that two different people were in accidents and that is why the bags went off even though there was not one scratch on either car.In another case they blamed the air bag going off on the owners aftermarket suspension. Nothing like getting the crap scared out of you by a malfunctioning air bag and then being forced to pay for it. Race seates = better body and car control . I will buckle up with my 5 point and take my chances . I know it is not the popular choice but its mine .

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 06-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I agree with you and went to Sparco's Milano within months of receiving my Mini...Proper shoulder holes for a solid Schroth 4 point harness...better than a gas bag anyday BTW...why aren't there airbags in race cars/planes/boats/tanks/spaceships?
Warning about the hanresses if you go to the track, an aftermarket seat changes OEM angles and then the Schroth will be out of compliance; check your rules, may be easier in the long run to go with a proper (and DOT apporved) harness dispite the inital time to install.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:40 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFITOY

I had Schroth for awhile and could not fault their convenience . There was a situation that came up at WIllow Springs last year that anyonen using them should keep in mind. If you do use Schroth do not disable your steering wheel air bag and wear a full face helmet. The Schroth are a 2 inch belt and rather long as they connect all the way back to the base of the rear seats. In a severe front impact they WILL stretch and your face will get into the wheel if you have no airbag. A subaru driver last year had a sparko wheel, open face helmet and scrhroth belts . He hit a wall and ended up being airlifted out with his face in shreads. I'm not saying the Schroth is a bad deal just take the other precautions and its all good .

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 06-11-2006, 11:38 PM
Tit
5th Gear
This week, my car is going into the local dealer to have the side airbags turned off so I can install a sparco evo2. I'm sick of getting a sore back in my car. I'm sick of my backside sliding around like I'm sitting on a parkbech. I'm sick of my cordoba leather stretching like I'm sitting on glad-wrap. Not happy with the sports seats at all.

I will also have to sign a waiver for BMW/MINI Australia, stating that I requested that the airbags in the seats be deactivated. The car will also have stickers put in the door frame stating the air-bag modification.

If you are considering putting bucket seats in, there's probably a few other things you should consider....

1. Will your insurance company cover you if you change your seats?
2. Will your car still pass compliance with aftermarket seats - will it be legal?
3. If if you plan to get two seats, it may be illegal to have back-seats - as it makes it difficult for passengers to get out in an emergency...

I personally think it's worth the effort....the sports seats, in my opinion, are GARBAGE.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:35 AM
fj0
5th Gear
I love Recaro Pole Positions, why are they so damn expensive.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:47 PM
770 KOF
3rd Gear
I read an article last week about a Q&A with the MINI product manager (sorry couldn't find the link) where he was asked specifically if the JCW seats would be coming to the US. His reply was a categorical NO as he said it was too expensive to go through the exercise of making a seat with an airbag (the European seats do not have airbags) and getting it approved for use in the US for what he said would be a limited aftermarket.
If they would install these as standard in the Sport Package then the cost would be worth it. However there would be some people who are (let's just say) girth challenged who could not fit in the seat. I'm of fairly slim build and I'm a comfortably snug fit in my seat.
The side bolsters on the 06 model are an inch higher but they still do not have enough support which is why I went with the Sparco.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tit
This week, my car is going into the local dealer to have the side airbags turned off so I can install a sparco evo2. I'm sick of getting a sore back in my car. I'm sick of my backside sliding around like I'm sitting on a parkbech. I'm sick of my cordoba leather stretching like I'm sitting on glad-wrap. Not happy with the sports seats at all.

I will also have to sign a waiver for BMW/MINI Australia, stating that I requested that the airbags in the seats be deactivated. The car will also have stickers put in the door frame stating the air-bag modification.

If you are considering putting bucket seats in, there's probably a few other things you should consider....

1. Will your insurance company cover you if you change your seats?
2. Will your car still pass compliance with aftermarket seats - will it be legal?
3. If if you plan to get two seats, it may be illegal to have back-seats - as it makes it difficult for passengers to get out in an emergency...

I personally think it's worth the effort....the sports seats, in my opinion, are GARBAGE.
My back seats are out in two weeks, doing a custom delete with xcarpet covering and some Dynamat to cut down on road noise; resistor trick for the airbags, then by summers end 2 fixed back racing seats and proper harnesses. I'm legal in the US, aqnd my state as long as I get the belts that have been approved for both track (I do HPDEs) and road use. Insurance never said a word about my last car with similar seats; but also many won't touch a car with a CAI; so yes its a gamble. I'm making sure to do everything to FIA compliant as well so I know what I'm using is safe, test and is generally accepted by most organizing bodies as acceptable for use.