Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Favorite mods ... for the $$

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006 | 02:01 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Nuff
That's exactly what they are. There are 2 holes per side and they are 2 different sizes for my '05: 5/8" and 11/16". Older MINIs have 3 holes per side (not sure what size the rear hole is).
These worked perfectly. We had to hunt around in Lowe's, but finally found them- they're in baggies in the "fasteners" section (where the screws and washers are) and are labeled as NYLON hole plugs. Asking for vinyl ones confused the heck out of the sales guys (not that they need help in that regard). they snap right in and make the door look MUCH better- best $2.50 mod EVER.

Old 07-05-2006 | 04:18 PM
Deuce_Coop
2nd Gear
$6.95 for the good ol gutter guard hood scoop filter.

Attached Thumbnails Favorite mods ... for the $$-cropped-scoop.jpg  
Old 07-05-2006 | 05:51 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Have you tried using a Cold Heat Soldering Iron? Was just wondering if you knew if they were as effective as a regular soldering iron.
I just use the traditional type.

Old 07-05-2006 | 09:33 PM
Nuff
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Deuce_Coop
$6.95 for the good ol gutter guard hood scoop filter.
Cool! How is it attached?

Old 07-05-2006 | 09:52 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Kinda suprised nobody posted it, $5.35 (tax included) and I got all the parts needed to do a VGS on my and another MINI (Advancew auto only sells T's in quantity of 2s) and I made sure to have spare hose the first time. Now I have loads of boost in the low-end that I never had before and I can run on par with much more modded MINIs. don't really have a photo but here is the thread

Old 07-06-2006 | 03:45 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Cool! How is it attached?
Don't know how Duece Coop did it, but based on a thread I saw here somewhere, I just "Sandwiched" mine in between the scoop and the black diverter piece that's fitted to the hood It was too easy

Old 07-06-2006 | 07:12 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Yep, good old Gutter Guard... I plan to do this one and spray the mesh black.

Old 07-06-2006 | 08:41 AM
Turcicus
5th Gear
That gutter guard mod looks like a winner. I'm definitely going to be doing it, and will try painting it white.

Old 07-06-2006 | 09:03 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
I finally decided to do it after the THIRD TIME I found myself picking cigarette butts off of my IC

Last edited by Drillslinger; 10-19-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-06-2006 | 01:17 PM
acitydweller
6th Gear
cigarette butts? damn your car is smokin, literally :D

Old 07-06-2006 | 01:27 PM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Yeah, before I put her on the boat, I spent at least 2-3 hours a day on the Autobahn

Old 07-06-2006 | 02:03 PM
flickster
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
Under $15: Light-in-sight thingy for my windshield. Never having to crane my neck to see a stoplight above my line of sight is appreciated each and every time I pull out into an intersection to make a left turn. www.lightinsight.com

I just picked one up after reading about it. Turns out they are from the BMW service garage I drive past everyday. I stopped in and met John, and asked to see what one looked like since the website doesn't show the scale very well. He stuck it in the car and WOW! I don't have to crane my neck anymore. Does it work? Well, since I got it I have made every light, so I have no idea I am posting a pic so you can see how small it is.

Old 07-06-2006 | 08:48 PM
Turcicus
5th Gear
You guys really got me with the gutter guard scoop grill. I went out tonight and bought a guard and a can of high heat white spray paint, and I don't even have my MINI yet!!!

Old 07-07-2006 | 06:39 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Turcicus
You guys really got me with the gutter guard scoop grill. I went out tonight and bought a guard and a can of high heat white spray paint, and I don't even have my MINI yet!!!
Hehehe... he is one of us. the Mini Mind Control ray worked AGAIN! Mwahahahaha!

Old 07-07-2006 | 10:38 AM
Nuff
|
4th Gear
I love mine, too. I mounted mine higher on the window though. All the way at the top.

Originally Posted by flickster

Old 07-07-2006 | 10:39 AM
Nuff
|
4th Gear
Definitely need to get one this weekend!! The black looks great!

Originally Posted by Drillslinger

Old 07-07-2006 | 11:00 AM
flickster
2nd Gear
I love mine, too. I mounted mine higher on the window though. All the way at the top.
I think I need to move it too, but since it was "professionally" installed by the guy who patented it, I figured that's where it belongs.

On a different note:
Nigel is back at the striping place today. I got stripes last week and I asked the guy to remove the emblems before he striped (Since he had a heat gun and everything) Well he snapped one of the pegs off the back one and so he didn't want to do the front one. Granted these emblems run about $20 a piece to replace, but I would rather the job look perfect.
So he stretched the vinyl over the front logo and cut it out. When I picked it up I was so happy with how it looked that I completely looked over the small details. This past weekend I noticed the jagged edges around the logo. I knew he didn't remove it, but I thought the ragged edges would smooth out. They didn't. I also noticed that the edges of the stripe cinched inwards near the emblem, because of the stretching. So I popped the emblem off myself and took it back to be redone.

Old 07-07-2006 | 11:12 AM
Nuff
|
4th Gear
I think I need to move it too, but since it was "professionally" installed by the guy who patented it, I figured that's where it belongs.
I know that's where they put it (based on the photos from the web site), but it works just as well further up. Plus, it's less noticeable when you aren't looking at it.

On a different note:
Nigel is back at the striping place today. I got stripes last week and I asked the guy to remove the emblems before he striped (Since he had a heat gun and everything) Well he snapped one of the pegs off the back one and so he didn't want to do the front one. Granted these emblems run about $20 a piece to replace, but I would rather the job look perfect.
So he stretched the vinyl over the front logo and cut it out. When I picked it up I was so happy with how it looked that I completely looked over the small details. This past weekend I noticed the jagged edges around the logo. I knew he didn't remove it, but I thought the ragged edges would smooth out. They didn't. I also noticed that the edges of the stripe cinched inwards near the emblem, because of the stretching. So I popped the emblem off myself and took it back to be redone.
Good move. It's better to have it done properly. Stretching the vinyl like that will only get worse over time. $40 (the cost of new emblems) is a small price to pay for perfect stripes! Those ragged edges will bug you everytime you wash your car!!!

Post some pics when you get it back!

Old 07-07-2006 | 01:18 PM
flickster
2nd Gear
I just got my Mini back...it's gotten worse. I will take pics and post them. The installer wasn't even around when I picked it up.

Old 07-10-2006 | 02:50 PM
Nuff
|
4th Gear
I just got my Mini back...it's gotten worse. I will take pics and post them. The installer wasn't even around when I picked it up.
Worse?? That really sucks. Maybe that's why the installer wasn't around ....

Old 07-10-2006 | 04:10 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
man, that's some shiitty soldering there!

more is better, hey if it works looks like it got enough heat :impatient

Old 07-10-2006 | 04:12 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Drillslinger
I finally decided to do it after the THIRD TIME I found myself picking cigarette butts off of my IC

Man that's one mod I really need to get around to.

Old 07-11-2006 | 09:25 AM
flickster
2nd Gear
The saga continues...

When I got the car back Friday the Mini logo cut out was all fixed, but the stripe is still crookedly cinched at the end. But the thing that jumps out is the spot where the material is stretched so much that the Green is showing through. It raining today and the picture is not very good but if you look where the stripe starts to curve you can see it all the way across. The guy called me today and asked how I liked it. He wasn't there when i picked it up. I told him it needs to be fixed again and so I am taking it in on Thursday.
So far:
2 Weeks waiting for Material
2 Days to complete intitial installation
1 Day to fix the cutout Mini label
1 More day to fix the fix
$175 Installation/Materials
$26 to replace the broken emblem

At least it is only cosmetic and does not hinder my motoring...

Old 07-11-2006 | 10:52 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Yep, I see it. Most "normal" people would never notice (from a distance it looks great), but we Mini freaks would spot it from 100 yds away, I bet. And as the owner, your eye will always go right there, every single time, until you go bonkers.

I don't see anything wrong with asking them to re-do it (all at their cost) since it's obviously an installation problem. Good luck, man!

Old 07-11-2006 | 12:36 PM
Nuff
|
4th Gear
When I got the car back Friday the Mini logo cut out was all fixed, but the stripe is still crookedly cinched at the end. But the thing that jumps out is the spot where the material is stretched so much that the Green is showing through. It raining today and the picture is not very good but if you look where the stripe starts to curve you can see it all the way across. The guy called me today and asked how I liked it. He wasn't there when i picked it up. I told him it needs to be fixed again and so I am taking it in on Thursday.
Wow, I'm surprised that they are having this many problems. Especially when you asked them to redo it after their first installation. That's usually a sign that the customer wants it done properly. I wouldn't have let this leave my shop!

What did the guy say after you told him how you "liked" it? Did he understand? Or does he think you're being picky? Just wondering if he's giving you a hard time or not.