Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior M7 Scoop problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006 | 04:36 AM
kyriian
|
6th Gear
M7 Scoop problems

Randy, or perhaps even Sid

yesterday at the track, 2 bolts tore apart out of the slots in the two bolts at the top of the hoodscoop (the ones further apart)..... i am trying to cold weld it back together, but if that doesnt work, what else can i do?

Old 07-02-2006 | 04:58 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
I posted this before, but I'd suggest washers to increase the surface area when you glue the bolts back into the scoop.
cheers,

Old 07-02-2006 | 05:08 AM
Krut
6th Gear
How many people are having fitment problems with the M7 scoop?

Old 07-02-2006 | 08:24 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Give us a call at 562 608 8123. The bottom line is that the Mfg . did not follow our specifications as to the mounting of the studs and we shipped out a good number of units unaware of this fact. Things have been changed for the better on all new items . We will take care of any problems that may arise from this issue.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 07-02-2006 | 08:51 AM
Krut
6th Gear
So we have m7 hood scoops falling out of cars and strut tower bars that don't quite fit well - me thinks a bit more time is needed in research and development before releasing out to the general public.

Old 07-06-2006 | 12:04 PM
Capn_Panic
2nd Gear
Just a note, that the scoop I recieved fit just fine (after switching to the Alta Intercooler cover), and is still on there nice and tight. I've done a road trip from San Fran to Portland with it on there (1300-ish miles) and of course my daily commute (15-20 miles round trip)

I do check for looseness on a regular basis and have yet to notice any. I've had mine since about mid-March and don't have any complaints.

Old 07-06-2006 | 12:35 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Capn_Panic
Just a note, that the scoop I recieved fit just fine (after switching to the Alta Intercooler cover), and is still on there nice and tight. I've done a road trip from San Fran to Portland with it on there (1300-ish miles) and of course my daily commute (15-20 miles round trip)

I do check for looseness on a regular basis and have yet to notice any. I've had mine since about mid-March and don't have any complaints.

Thanks for the post . We are confident that we have solved the problem now that the product is being created to our specs as was originally intended. If you do incur any problem you know how to reach us .

Randy
m7 Tuning

Old 07-06-2006 | 01:13 PM
acitydweller
6th Gear
where can i see photos of the m7 scoop? how will i know if i got the latest versoin?

Old 07-06-2006 | 01:22 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by acitydweller
where can i see photos of the m7 scoop? how will i know if i got the latest versoin?
The scoops all look the same. The issue was the procedure used for mounting the studs to the scoop. If your scoop is still on the car and no studs have pulled out you are all set. Let us know other wise.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 07-06-2006 | 01:42 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
Mine pulled out last month after the Dragon, and M7 was very gracious about replacing the unit, including shipping on them, even though I had had the scoop since March. Very decent of them. I did have a problem with the nuts working their way loose. I ended up using the factory nuts from the OEM scoop and haven't had a problem since.

Old 07-06-2006 | 04:13 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini
Thanks for the post . We are confident that we have solved the problem now that the product is being created to our specs as was originally intended. If you do incur any problem you know how to reach us .

Randy
m7 Tuning
Yup.. but the strut tower bar still rubs on the inside of the bonnet insulation for '05 and '06 models. Are you planning a revised strut tower bar (one that is 2 mm slimmer) that fits those models?

Old 07-06-2006 | 04:52 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by krut
Yup.. but the strut tower bar still rubs on the inside of the bonnet insulation for '05 and '06 models. Are you planning a revised strut tower bar (one that is 2 mm slimmer) that fits those models?

No we do not plan on making any changes to the bar which might cause it to be weaker. The majority of out clients feel the added rigidity is worth the possibility of a small gap. There are a number of techniques which will minimize the gap but so far as you have read most have not really felt it was that big of a deal .The funny thing is I never realized I had a gap at the rear of my hood until people mentioned it about ours. I have had another brand of brace on for over 3 years now. File it under function over form LOL

Randy
m7 Tuning

Old 07-06-2006 | 07:05 PM
Call
4th Gear
I wonder if other brands of strut tower braces have the same issue? I noticed this M7 issue on a friend of mine's MCS over the 4th of July holiday. I couldn't believe all the stuff he took off just to get the brace to fit "as good as it was going to". Oh, well, I guess it just isn't a perfect world after all.

What is that now...lets see...the M7 strut tower brace...the M7 hood scoop...and the M7 USS. You can only do so much R & D...

Well, I will say I love my M7 strut tower plates and M7 3/4" spring spacer. Their design and function are perfect. Now...about that Alta 2% crank pulley bolt that scares the hell out of me... but that's for another thread.

Call

Old 07-06-2006 | 07:42 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Call
I wonder if other brands of strut tower braces have the same issue? I noticed this M7 issue on a friend of mine's MCS over the 4th of July holiday. I couldn't believe all the stuff he took off just to get the brace to fit "as good as it was going to". Oh, well, I guess it just isn't a perfect world after all.

What is that now...lets see...the M7 strut tower brace...the M7 hood scoop...and the M7 USS. You can only do so much R & D...

Well, I will say I love my M7 strut tower plates and M7 3/4" spring spacer. Their design and function are perfect. Now...about that Alta 2% crank pulley bolt that scares the hell out of me... but that's for another thread.

Call
There are actually several other bars that do have minor issues as well . I have had another brand on my car for over 3 years and was not aware of the " bulge " until it was mentioned with regards to ours.

If the bar was any lower it would have the same issues as many others with regards to making contact with the ECU cover , unichip, CAI's etc.

If it was any thinner it wouldn't work as well as it would be too weak.

If it was not as well shaped on the ends it would be denting hoods which is a issue on some bars

If the plates were thinner or not completely covering the tops of the struts it would not assist in preventing mushrooming.

Believe me a lack of R&D was notthe case. The slight bulge that some may have incurred is a small price to pay for all problems it avoids. If a possible lift at the back of the hood is too much of a price to pay for what we feel is a performance improvement then you have other options.

Randy

m7 Tuning

Old 07-06-2006 | 07:56 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
No kidding ^^

Stop rippin' on M7 dude(s). I have had my JCW Brace for over a year with two different bonnets (don't ask why, my dad's parked Cayenne T-Bo was a learning experience ) and it rubs alot. Granted it's Crap , and I was one of the first in the U.S. to have it on their car, but it still, and all the JCW ones I've seen, rubs ALOT. Alot? As in the once shiny chrome stainless whatever finish can probably only be fixed with a PC with rubbing compound and/or superfine sand paper. The M7 looks like a good unit, I don't know how much of an effect it has on the handling but the JCW had little to none, but I really didn't expect it too. The M7 just because it's NOT crap, looks like it might, from what I've seen it's alot thicker and looks much stronger than my JCW.

Mikey

Old 07-07-2006 | 01:30 PM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
Originally Posted by krut
So we have m7 hood scoops falling out of cars and strut tower bars that don't quite fit well - me thinks a bit more time is needed in research and development before releasing out to the general public.
Harsh

Old 07-07-2006 | 02:07 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Well, at least the suppliers are covering the replacements. But, yeah, a high failure rate could mean that more testing is needed. But, I don't mind being a guinea pig so much when the supplier covers the replacement without hassle. After all, many of these things are being developed by small companies. Personally, though, I wait till stuff's been around for a good long while, just on the off chance that a failure could cause damage to my car...

Old 07-07-2006 | 02:15 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
Well, at least the suppliers are covering the replacements. But, yeah, a high failure rate could mean that more testing is needed. But, I don't mind being a guinea pig so much when the supplier covers the replacement without hassle. After all, many of these things are being developed by small companies. Personally, though, I wait till stuff's been around for a good long while, just on the off chance that a failure could cause damage to my car...

In this particular case our supplier changed our specifications in the middle of production without telling us . The early units and all of the present and future items will be fine. If anyone has an issue with the mounting studs coming loose feel free to give us a call . Oh yes BTW they won't make that mistake again

Randy
M7 Tuning