Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Hardwire Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 09:02 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hardwire Issue

I hardwired my XM radio into my MINI yestarday. Apparently I did something incorrectly. It turns on and works, but then turns off every 20 seconds, and then turns back on and continues playing...this continues in a cycle. It seems to happen when I hit bumps in the road, but I could not confirm if this was related to the problem.

Here is how I wired it:

Add a circuit into #36 slot

Split the power wire for the radio in two (+ and - I guess? )

Ran one of the wires to a ground - one of the bolts up around the pedals

Ran the other into the Add a circuit.

Then I ran the wires around the car to get to where I wanted to mount the radio.

Did I do something wrong? This is waht the guy at radio shack told me to do...so I am kind of confused?

Alright thanks!

Old 07-18-2006, 05:55 AM
Brent@minidomore.com
Former Vendor
Are you using a Roady XT? I have found that the mount for the unit does not adequately hold the unit in place and over bumps the head unit becomes disconnected from the base. Still trying to figure out a way to permanently secure it so it doesn't jostle loose. I used 2 rubber bands on the way to FLA and back before in a pinch. Looked cheesy, but worked.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:05 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's easy to see if it's related to bumps - just park and keep listening!

If bumps cause trouble, you have bad connections to solve, but it it keeps cutting out when you're parked, you have a different issue ... figure the problem then figure the solution!

Old 07-18-2006, 07:12 AM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by GBMINI
It's easy to see if it's related to bumps - just park and keep listening!

If bumps cause trouble, you have bad connections to solve, but it it keeps cutting out when you're parked, you have a different issue ... figure the problem then figure the solution!

I am not clever enough to think of that . I will try that and see.

Originally Posted by Brent@miniaturetrailers.com
Are you using a Roady XT? I have found that the mount for the unit does not adequately hold the unit in place and over bumps the head unit becomes disconnected from the base. Still trying to figure out a way to permanently secure it so it doesn't jostle loose. I used 2 rubber bands on the way to FLA and back before in a pinch. Looked cheesy, but worked.

I am not using the Roady XT, but the mount that came with my radio (Audiovox XCS9) makes the radio seem a little loose as well, so I will have to do so configuring today

Old 07-18-2006, 09:47 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skitelluride531
I am not using the Roady XT, but the mount that came with my radio (Audiovox XCS9) makes the radio seem a little loose as well, so I will have to do so configuring today
hey, how's it going! if the cradle's loose, might want to
put some e-tape on the inside portion to make it a snug fit. Give that
a shot and let us know how it goes.

I think you did the add-a-circuit correctly. Im not sure if there's a
fuse there that goes on/off intermittently.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:22 AM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Hey guys,

I tested it out this morning. It was fine while I was sitting in my garage for 5 minutes, but just as I thought, as soon as I got on the road it started turning on and off again.

The good thing is, I think I know where the problem is, so after I am finished waxing my MINI I am going to hopefully fix it .

Old 07-18-2006, 01:34 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
Another thing to be careful about...many of the radios do not actually run on 12v; they have electronics in their lighter plug that reduce them to 6v or whatever they take. In which case you are overpowering your satellite radio and risk frying it (you're lucky if it's just turning off...). A solution is to direct wire a hidden cigarette lighter socket (available at radioshack etc) and then you can plug it in to that.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:35 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jwardell
Another thing to be careful about...many of the radios do not actually run on 12v; they have electronics in their lighter plug that reduce them to 6v or whatever they take. In which case you are overpowering your satellite radio and risk frying it (you're lucky if it's just turning off...). A solution is to direct wire a hidden cigarette lighter socket (available at radioshack etc) and then you can plug it in to that.
I think I am going to have to end up doing this. According to the manual, my sat radio runs on 6V. I am curious to know why I am having problems only when I am driving though, because when the car is at a standstill there are no issues...hmmm.