Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Help with Oil Temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 11:49 PM
jchanger
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Oil Temp gauge

I've got a 2004 JCW that I bought used. It had an Autometer oil temerpature gauge installed in it, but it is constantly running at or above 250*F. The oil temp is read off a probe on the drain plug.

The gauge goes up to 250*F in normal driving (it's about 90 degrees outside these days). Is this normal? The temperatures that I've found on this board seem to be more around the 200* range.

I'm wondering if this might be a problem with the gauge or the probe. Are all probes the same? or do they differ between the 250 gauge and the 300 gauge? I'm thinking maybe the wrong probe/gauge might be installed.

Can anyone shed any light?

Old 07-22-2006, 02:11 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have an Autometer oil temp gauge (full-sweep electric). The sender is mounted in the oil filter canister. With this setup, my oil temp runs on an average about 10-15 degrees higher than water temp during steady-state highway driving (210-215 degrees). I also have a full-sweep electric water temp gauge with the sensor mounted in the block drain plug port. This location tracks the OBDII water temp readings by about a degree or two. If I push the crap out of the car (Dragon run, say), the oil temp will approach 230-235 degrees.

I have a feeling that someone installed the oil temp gauge in your car using the MINI OEM oil temp sender that replaces the oil drain plug. The calibration of that sender does not match the Auto Meter gauge, and will cause erroneous readings. Double-check this, if this is indeed the case, obtain the proper Auto Meter sender and either get an adaptor to allow it to fit in the oil drain plug location or mount the sender in either the oil pan, oil filter canister or oil cooler/filter housing (all of these require removing the particular part and drilling/tapping it for a 1/8"NPT threads; drilling the canister is ideal for this since removal and replacement is easiest and the oil temps would be nearest to the highest that will be encountered. It also will not interfere with the oil canister and changing the oil).

Old 07-22-2006, 08:57 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem with my MINI oil temp gauge. Had the dealer do an early oil change and the temps were running above 120*C (250 F) at cruising speeds. I called my SA about it and he checked with the service guy and he said it was fine. I strongly disagreed, so I decided to change my oil and put in my ususal Mobil 1 5-30. My temps are now back where they should be 100*C.

I have to disagree with Greatbear about the official MINI sending unit. I think the drain plug is the best location for getting an accurate oil temp. I feel that an accurate temp of the oil while it is in its "storage state" really tells you how hot the engine is running. Liquids under pressure will always show a higher temp than those at no pressure.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:18 AM
jchanger
1st Gear
Thanks for the responses so far!

I've changed my oil since getting the car- also with Mobil 1 5/30. Both before and after the Autometer was reading 250*F at regular cruising... so I'm thinking an oil change won't make the difference for me.

I'll check on the sender when I get a chance.

Any other suggestions or advice?

Old 09-18-2006, 03:48 PM
MINISPIDER
4th Gear
oil gauge

hey is me fernando, I sold you the car remember?...the sender was originally installed by the dealer like I told you, and is calibrated for the OEM gauges (VDO gauges). When I swapped the gauges I used the same wiring and sender for the autometer gauge, the reading is off becuse I believe the amperage is too much for these gauges, these are autometer electric gauges, so you can change the sensor plug which is located on the oil pan, for an Autometer oil gauge plug ($30), or use an inline resistor at the plug to reduce the power to the gauge, How is the car doing?