Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Alta light problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alta light problems?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...stpost&t=67403

My dealer called me after having my car for 8 days to fix the AC... After the first two days they said they had it fixed, and I drove off only to have to bring it back. An inspection, diagnosis, and fix happened then. The same happened again and they said they had to replace the evaporator, and now out of nowhere they call and say 'your alta lightbar has pierced the AC condenser and it's going to cost $600 to fix'.

8 days with the car, constantly looking at and fixing in and around the AC system and this mysterious ailment pops up? They asked me if I wanted to 'see it first', and I said yes, but I won't be able to make it down until next week (unless I convince my boss to let me go early)... Arg.

Has anyone heard of this or seen this before? The way the lightbar mounts to the under-bumper brace, I would think there would have to be significant damage caused in order to bend that bracket back.

EDIT:
Had an epiphany. There are no lower bolts, they're all up high. So the bumper would have to be pushed in pretty far in order to push those bolts in, no? ARG, I want to go see it...

Old 07-27-2006, 11:39 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, go look and take lots of photos. Nobody's borrowed your car or anyhting that could have run into something, right? That sounds really weird, but you can't rule it out until you see what they have to say. Was it a DIY install, or did someone do it for you? At least they're givingyou the chance to see what part peirced what. Good luck!

Old 07-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
I did the install myself with a friend about a year ago. No issues.

I saw the car, and the bottom of the passenger bracket has been pushed in by someone or something, and the verticle bar has indeed pierced the condenser.

The dealership refuses to accept responsibility for the damage, and now refuses to service my car ever again. Click the first link for the rest of the story. :/

Old 07-27-2006, 01:45 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I'd go right to Mini. Seriusly, as far up the food chain as you can... I'd be looking for their CEO's email address or office phone number.

If you escalate (and I certainly would) remember to remain calm, cool and professional. Ask lots of questions like "why exactly do you think it had to be that Alta part that did the damage?" and "Help me out- show me how you think this could have happened." - that sort of thing.

I'd certainly start the process by taking it to a second dealership for another opinion- remember that they've doubtless already called over with a storyt about "the psycho guy that busted his AC with an alta bar" and they're expecting a raving madman... imagine their surprise when a well groomed, well spoken, polite Mini customer arrives, politely asking for help.

Seeing as how Midwest (my local dealer) practically had a heart attack when i gave them only a 4 out of 5 on ONE SINGLE service department rating, the company itself must take customer satisfaction seriously... Just remain cool and collected and don't give them a single reason to think oyu're anything but a top-end consumer whose future brand loyalty may, regrettably, be on the line.

Last... I hate to mention it... but just because the last guy was a complete jag-off doesn't necessarily mean that, he's not right. Something MAY have happened with the Alta. Remain open to the possibility that something did in fact cause that to happen withthe ALta and listen to their explaination... If they convince you, well OK then... If they don;'t and still won't warranty it, then go to the next rung up the ladder- the corporate office is the next logical step. If anything, be even MORE polite the higher you go, ESPECIALLY if you reach their Administrativer Assistant!!! These fine ladies almost always hold "the keys to the kingdom" and being nice to them will get you very, very far. Persist, and eventually you'll reach a person thart just wants you to go away and leave them to their golf game and will (usually take care of you).

Answers like "I don't care where you take it, just take it away" and "because I say so" are indeed inexcusable in the realm of customer service, but the first thing is getting the car fixed...

THEN you nail the bastard to the wall with his bosses. (( evil grin )).
Good luck, bro!

Old 07-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
The lightbar definitely caused the damage, but thats because something pushed it in to do the damage. It was the medium, not the cause. It's like saying a baseball bat broke my windshield. The bat had to get moving somehow.

Thanks for the input Imagox, I'm still trying to sort through the options and shock of all of this.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:03 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Wow, the light bar bracket would have to have moved almost 1 inch, to pierce the condenser.

So did you get into a fender-bender at any point in time? How could this have possibly be pushed into the condenser. Did you try putting on the bracket with the bumper on, (versus removing it first)?

Attached Thumbnails Alta light problems?-4.jpg  
Old 07-27-2006, 02:24 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Note to self... if ever installing that kit, saw down the screws after. They really DO stick back a good ways, don't they?

Even if they did the damage, that's no cause for being treated like you say you were...

Hope it works out, bro!

Old 07-27-2006, 02:39 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
I'd go right to Mini. Seriusly, as far up the food chain as you can... I'd be looking for their CEO's email address or office phone number.
edited

Old 07-28-2006, 05:32 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
I'll try and take pics when I get home. The lights themselves were pushed in, but there is no evidence of damage to the lights. So the lights pushed on on the lowest part of the bracket, hard enough to pierce into the condensor. It's not the bolts, it's the 90 degree angle at the bottom of the L bracket.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:36 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't they fail to secure your car and run in to the cab of the back of the tow truck a while back?

Old 07-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Indeed. That damage was caused by a AAA towtruck sent by MiniUSA/MiniRoadside. I believe only the hood was damage because there was a bar that protected the cab from a rolling vehicle, but it's sort of possible. Only the passenger side bracket is pushed in, so I would rule out the towtruck because the damage would have been evenly distrubuted then.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:05 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I'd day it's more than possible. Unless you loaned your car to someone or drove so drunk lately that you'd not remember ramming something at about 15 MPH?

I'd be going after the tow company to make you whole- they're supposed to secure the vehicle before rolling out.