Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Blacking out the tail lights...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Sell224
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
last question: My mom really wants me to call around a few tinting/ body shops to get a quote of a price of how much it would be to tint my tail lights. She thinks I would screw it up if I did it on my own. Now, I have called many shops, and I either dont get an answer or I get the answer "Blacking out tail lights? umm no.. we dont do that."

So does anybody know of the KIND of shops I should be asking? One shop told me to call body shops, but its TINTING that they are doing to the taillights! Confused. I dont want to open up the taillights and have them smoke them out or whatever, I just want a tint on the outside that will look nice.

Any advice on who to call.. even more specifically in Orange County, California? Or would you guys strongly recommend I do it on my own? (I have the money, but would reluctantly let go of an extra 150 bucks to get it professionally done.)

Old 09-18-2006, 06:44 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
PS- since you are sponsored....you gonna get a nice free set of hamann wheels and aero parts from them? NICE
Yea I wish...

-Cody

Old 09-18-2006, 06:45 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sell224
last question: My mom really wants me to call around a few tinting/ body shops to get a quote of a price of how much it would be to tint my tail lights. She thinks I would screw it up if I did it on my own. Now, I have called many shops, and I either dont get an answer or I get the answer "Blacking out tail lights? umm no.. we dont do that."

So does anybody know of the KIND of shops I should be asking? One shop told me to call body shops, but its TINTING that they are doing to the taillights! Confused. I dont want to open up the taillights and have them smoke them out or whatever, I just want a tint on the outside that will look nice.

Any advice on who to call.. even more specifically in Orange County, California? Or would you guys strongly recommend I do it on my own? (I have the money, but would reluctantly let go of an extra 150 bucks to get it professionally done.)
Yah, tint shops do windows. Their tint can't be used on your taillights.

I would just do it yourself. It's VERY simple if you follow the directions. You are basically applying a sticker which can be moved around until it fits perfectly...then fitting it. Read this and then let your mom know how prepared you are....I'm sure you will feel confident once you see how easy it can be. Webpage: http://lamin-x.com/info-install-lamin-x.php?

Although, since you seem to be very new to modifying cars, be well aware that California is a state that is going to be very strict about this mod which is illegal. In Ohio, we don't have much hassle for this mod....but in California people seem to have more problems with it.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by polizei
Yea I wish...

-Cody
hahah what kind of "sponsorship" is it?

Old 09-18-2006, 06:48 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, the legal status in Cali is why you're not finding anyone I bet. You really can't hurt the car with the mod in any way (just don't try trimming the finger tabs with an exacto - use scissors) and the worst thing that would happen would be you'd ruin the tint material... Honestly, though, if it's illegal, you might want to take a pass on this one for the time being.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:05 PM
Sell224
2nd Gear
haha im not tooo worried bout the legal side of it. I have seen some cars with tinted tail lights around, almost as common as tinted front windows. I have my windows tinted and thats illegal in california, but my parents dont care much.

Thanks for hte info, I'll check out those instructions.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
haha im not tooo worried bout the legal side of it. I have seen some cars with tinted tail lights around, almost as common as tinted front windows. I have my windows tinted and thats illegal in california, but my parents dont care much.

Thanks for hte info, I'll check out those instructions.
Cool, just giving a heads up so that you arent suddenly surprised by a cop

It's basically just like applying vinyl to your car. Spray the lights with a little water (probably with a little soap) position the tint on the light and it can move around since the water is under it. Position it right where you want it, and begin to squeege out the water with a credit card. Once the water is all out (the sun can help this part too) the tint will be stuck on very strongly.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:46 PM
Sell224
2nd Gear
ok I just ordered the kit from moss motors, expect some pictures within the next week and half or so!

But seriously, LAST QUESTION. Since the lights are a bit curved, is the tint that comes curved also to prevent from wrinkling? If its not, I am pretty much screwed.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:50 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
NO you aren't screwed... It's flat but it stretches, honest.

If you're really that worried, give it a few days... I'm writing a full How-to with plenty of pictures that will be up in a few days... heck, I might beta test it on you first, just to be sure it has 100% of the info anyone would ever need.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:55 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Yea, it's very straight forward...just make sure not to SOAK (not literally) the film in solution (water and a little bit of dish fluid) or it'll just slide off of the lights.

Also, just for the sake of it...I would actually take the tail lights out and do it that way. I found it easier...because I was having trouble lining mine up when it stuck to one side, when the other side wouldn't stick due to too much solution.

If all else fails, I know you can PM me anytime and I'll be glad to help in any way I can. BTW: You said your mom in one post, just curious...how old are you?

-Cody

Old 09-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Sell224
2nd Gear
haha thanks for the advice. I will be sure to come running back to these forums when I get the stuff.

As for how old I am.. 17. You guys are all probably older than me, but did you always have the problem when you were in high school of your parents restricting exactly how you spend your own money? I find it pretty ironic that I almost have to ask my parents permission to spend the money I get working. Luckily I'm not the kind of guy who goes out and spends it on every little thing out there, or my parents wouldnt let me do crap with my money.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:43 PM
flannelhippie
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha thanks for the advice. I will be sure to come running back to these forums when I get the stuff.

As for how old I am.. 17. You guys are all probably older than me, but did you always have the problem when you were in high school of your parents restricting exactly how you spend your own money? I find it pretty ironic that I almost have to ask my parents permission to spend the money I get working. Luckily I'm not the kind of guy who goes out and spends it on every little thing out there, or my parents wouldnt let me do crap with my money.

Im 16, and yes, it is lame, you would think if your goal oriented enough to buy your own Cooper, then you should get a little respect, money managing wise. Ahhhh well, thats the beauty of parents that care, Id rather they care too much than not enough. And yes, after, then sprint of cash I spent this summer, they want me to lay off, floor mats, new MCS front bumper, aero grill, driving lights, check mate swoop, meguairs shampoo, polish, wax, scratch x, qwik detailer, clay................................You get the picture.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:08 PM
reeves35
1st Gear
Hey I just found your images of blacking out the chrome halo underneath the windows on the MINI. How did you do that?! I am looking at taking out all of the chrome on my car. Thanks,
Jason

Old 09-19-2006, 04:07 AM
polizei
6th Gear
http://www.autopaintersupply.com/Mer...ory_Code=3m727

Get the black obviously. I have it done to my car and love it. All it is...is basically like electrical tape that you peel off and stick over the chrome.

And as far as the above posts, I'm also 17..and yes my parent's *somewhat* have a say on what I buy...that is, until I pay it off completely, but after I do it's mine and I can do whatever I want.

-Cody

Old 09-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
i WAS 17 when i first bought the MINI (now 21) and they definitely watched over which mods i was buying....so i stuck to the simple things like stripes, tinted windows, roof graphics until they saw that i was responsible with the money....and now look how far along my car is (in my gallery). Parents are good people and they are just looking out for you. If you prove to them that you are aware and responsible they will set you free

Old 09-19-2006, 07:46 AM
theroyalwe
5th Gear
ok I just ordered the kit from moss motors, expect some pictures within the next week and half or so!

But seriously, LAST QUESTION. Since the lights are a bit curved, is the tint that comes curved also to prevent from wrinkling? If its not, I am pretty much screwed.
ok... I'm going to try and tackle this question for you... first off... with the tails it will be easier for you to just remove them and do them on your lap than leaving them in your car. I haven't done tails yet but I put the laminx film on my headlights and those require even more stretch than the tails.

first off, you're gonna spray down the light with a mild detergent solution (think a single drop of car wash solution in a full spray bottle of water and shake). you will want to spray your hands so they are wet and slippery before peeling the backing off the vinyl. that way you don't get fingerprints in the adhesive that won't come out. then if it is a very hot day in the sun you can try spraying the inside of the vinyl. this will give you a lot more time to move it around... but it will take a LONG time to get the bends in correctly and get all the extra water out. I'd suggest just spraying the light well and then position the vinyl and start at one corner squeegie-ing out the water. you should probably wet the outside of the vinyl so your squeegie (credit card or otherwise) doesn't scratch the film. then just work your way over the light always going in an outward direction so you don't trap water underneath. If it is the laminx film they say that any bubbles or water underneath will work it's way out in a few weeks so don't get too too **** about bubbles and at no point should you try to pop them with a pin.

the nice part about this film is that it is sort of 'self-healing' in that any light scratches on the outside will go away once it sits in the sun for a while. After a few weeks I suggest you treat it with 303 aerospace protectant to keep the vinyl from fading in the future.

also... if you get really fed up or think you can't do it the kind of company that does this stuff would be a vinyl sign shop that also does truck lettering. they should have more than enough experience with applying vinyl.

this is IMO one of those mods that you should do yourself just because it's pretty easy and forgiving... plus you'll feel really good once it's done and looks great and it's something YOU did. also, most likely if you are going to get involved in the car hobby you will need these basic vinyl/film application skills in the future for any signs, stripes or tint. When I was 17 I tinted the car I had at the time (somewhat poorly I might add) but the experience has carried over many times and I don't make the same mistakes. I wish I had done vinyl before the tint too... cause tint is a ***** to take off

Old 09-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Sell224
2nd Gear
Hey guys.. amazingly the package with the film should be arriving today! Very fast delivery .

So does anybody have any how-to articles up yet with pictures or anything of that sort.. ? I am thinking I am going to start with the side reflectors, to get a little bit of experience before I attempt the back lights.

Would you guys suggest I take off the side reflectors? (If it is even possible). And also could someone tell me how to take off the tail lights?

I know I am asking so many questions haha im sorry, I just want to get this right .

Old 09-20-2006, 02:42 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Nah. I wouldn't bother... The film is precision cut, and I got both tail light covers on with no issues whatsoever right on the car. You might want to start with the side marker covers though, just to get a feel for the way the stuff slides on the water/soap solutuion.

PM me with your email address and I['ll send you my How-to for Outmotoring (currently being edited for final release).

Old 09-20-2006, 03:46 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Do the reflector's first like you said...no big deal, those are easy. You will need a sharp hobby knife or some kind of knife to cut off the "tabs" and you'll understand what I mean when you get the film. Just do it until it fits! It'll take time, so don't think it's a 5min job. I though that, and I was very wrong lol.

Anyway, off-topic...here are two pics of my car. Sorry, my brother parked right behind me so the picture angles are bad. My MINI is now debadged!

-Cody

Old 09-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Sell224
2nd Gear
hmm well i got a little bit impatient and decided to start the side reflectors.

I put it on, but hey! It is not long enough! Now I am confused.. is it supposed to stretch out? It literally is missing about a centimeter on the top

should it go over the plastic carved letters?

Old 09-20-2006, 04:12 PM
polizei
6th Gear
I had that same problem...I tried to line it up the best I could, but it IS a little bit too short. Just line the top up, because looking at it more people would notice a gap on top than on the buttom.

-Cody

Old 09-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Sell224
2nd Gear
BLOWDRIERS!!!

That is the solution to this. I realized that after about 20 minutes of not being able to put on the rear tail light. It is veerry hard to get everything to go down without a blowdrier.

I just finished the right tail light.. besides a few bubbles which I hope will go away.. it looks AWESOME!!!

Gotta get started on that other tail light.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Ords
6th Gear
BLOWDRIERS!!!

That is the solution to this. I realized that after about 20 minutes of not being able to put on the rear tail light. It is veerry hard to get everything to go down without a blowdrier.

I just finished the right tail light.. besides a few bubbles which I hope will go away.. it looks AWESOME!!!

Gotta get started on that other tail light.

Yes, the bubbles with go away over a few days, actually with a change of the seasons it make take a tad longer. Good call on the blowdryer.