Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Before and after pictures of the taillamp MOD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 05:45 PM
Fooo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi! I had the clear tail lamps installed by the dealer. So i went out today thinking I'd do the brakelight mod, and tried two different ways of doing it but didn't notice my brakelights getting any brighter. Then I realized, the dealer may have done the MOD INSIDE the brakelight assembly -- the connector has no jumpers or anything like the MOD instructions detail.

So can someone please post before and after pictures? Both the top and bottom of my taillight assembly light up and I'm thinking this is what the MOD accomplishes. But it took me 30 minutes of trying to wire it to figure it out.:smile:

Old 03-29-2003, 05:49 PM
nfo
6th Gear
if i'm not mistaken, i don't think the mod works with the clear lights!

Old 03-29-2003, 05:52 PM
caddman
Banned
yes it does but i dont have pics need to get a new cable for the digital camera!!!

Old 03-29-2003, 05:52 PM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
>>Hi! I had the clear tail lamps installed by the dealer. So i went out today thinking I'd do the brakelight mod, and tried two different ways of doing it but didn't notice my brakelights getting any brighter. Then I realized, the dealer may have done the MOD INSIDE the brakelight assembly -- the connector has no jumpers or anything like the MOD instructions detail.
>>
>>So can someone please post before and after pictures? Both the top and bottom of my taillight assembly light up and I'm thinking this is what the MOD accomplishes. But it took me 30 minutes of trying to wire it to figure it out.:smile:
>>

Fooo, you have me confused I must admit!

I have done the brakelight mod, and although I have the stock light assembly, the clear tail-light assembly should be the same.
The tail-light mod does not increase the brightness of the tail lights per se.
What the mod does is to turn on the topmost bulbs (the rear fog lights) ONLY when you brake. If you just turn on the lights, step outside and look at the lights, you should see no difference. You will only see a difference if someone steps on the breaks while you are looking at the lights!
If your WHOLE light assembly is lit without stepping on the breaks, then you have done something wrong, because the top bulbs (the fog lights) should NOT be on UNLESS you step on the breaks!!!

Maybe you can clarify which of your lights are on at what time?
Markus

Old 03-29-2003, 06:04 PM
Fooo
2nd Gear
When I someone steps on the brakes in my car, both the top and bottom of the tail light assembly light up red. I'm surprised the MINI doesn't do this by default but I'm happy the dealer somehow did it for me when they installed the clear tail lamps! Do the clear tail lights come like this or did my dealer do something special? If I don't have the brakes depressed, only the bottom light lights up on the tail lights with reduced power. So it sure sounds like the "mod" came from the dealer on my car. Could have saved myself 30 minutes if I knew exactly what the mod was doing hehehe.

Old 03-29-2003, 06:06 PM
caddman
Banned
they did it for you, mine came like the stock and did mod myself....

Old 03-29-2003, 06:08 PM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
>>When I someone steps on the brakes in my car, both the top and bottom of the tail light assembly light up red. I'm surprised the MINI doesn't do this by default but I'm happy the dealer somehow did it for me when they installed the clear tail lamps! Do the clear tail lights come like this or did my dealer do something special? If I don't have the brakes depressed, only the bottom light lights up on the tail lights with reduced power. So it sure sounds like the "mod" came from the dealer on my car. Could have saved myself 30 minutes if I knew exactly what the mod was doing hehehe.

Ok, thanls for the clarification, Fooo,
sounds like the did the mod for you, and the way you describe things now is the way they should be with the mod.
You are right, it would be nice if all MINI's did this by default, or if the foglights actually worked via the switch the way they do in Europe!
Thanks!

Old 03-29-2003, 07:23 PM
Kohu'ulaMINI
5th Gear
Fooo

It's my understanding that the clear lights have the option of the install harness kit ( #63 12 146 748 @ $123) which is prewired to do the brake mod. For that price, it's more economical to do the mod as discussed in other threads.

Since your dealer installed the white taillamps, I'm assuming they used the install kit (more money for them

Old 03-29-2003, 07:25 PM
caddman
Banned
the wiring kit i got with my clear lights (which i returned) made my third light blink.. not very attractive in my opinion....

Old 03-29-2003, 07:29 PM
nfo
6th Gear
caddman....
got any pics of your car?

Old 03-29-2003, 07:34 PM
caddman
Banned
trying to fix my digital camera cable as we speak, have pics but cant get them into the computer, but there is a car in the gallery that is very similar, calle dwinston, i do not have the ralley lights, and dark tinted windows... but it is very similar, hopefully i can get this cable to work...