Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior New iPod Interface Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:28 PM
tide96
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New iPod Interface Adapter

Has anyone seen this. BMW is coming out with a new iPod adapter to allow the name of song,artist,album to be displayed. I currently just purchased a new 06 MCS and I had the old iPod adapter installed. Of course they come out with a upgrade??? What does everyone else think about this? Should I go for the upgrade and waste some more $$ or ask the dealer to give me a break. Of course the salesman knew nothing when I asked that I heard BMW was coming out with a new adapter.

Here's the link that I found the information.

http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/28072

Old 08-23-2006, 12:24 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
I've been using the aux input, but would be interested in the new iPod adapter if it displays ID3 information.

There was a BMW press release in April (http://www.bmwusa.com/news/news?article=268) that said the new iPod adapter should be available about now. However, it only mentioned BMW, not MINI. All the BMW websites still only describe the old adapter, which they call "The Original BMW iPod Adapter".

Old 08-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Dave S
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
I've been using the aux input, but would be interested in the new iPod adapter if it displays ID3 information.

How do you plug the iPod in to the aux, simple plug and play or more complicated? Is there a DIY on this by any chance. Just got the little car and am torn between ripping out the stereo and putting in a better one or posibly just adding the ipod since the oem stereo isn't too shabby.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Chimera
5th Gear
I use the Belkin auto adapter with the 3.5mm jack and run a very short cable from there to my aux input that's installed in the cubby under the toggle switches. The Belkin has an iPod dock connector and is also one of the few adapters that will pause the ipod when you switch off the car. Works great...

Old 08-23-2006, 01:11 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
If the new adapter supports text and lets me browse by playlist(not just 5), artists, genre etc. and works on the MINI then I'm off to my dealer ASAP.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:19 PM
MiniChik
4th Gear
I've been wondering about this since it's announcement. Do you think it's available yet at the dealers or are they still installing the old ones?

Old 08-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Annewithane
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave S
How do you plug the iPod in to the aux, simple plug and play or more complicated? Is there a DIY on this by any chance. Just got the little car and am torn between ripping out the stereo and putting in a better one or posibly just adding the ipod since the oem stereo isn't too shabby.
You just get an audio cable. One end goes in the audio output of the iPod and the other goes into the aux. (Mine is hidden near the cupholders.) Tunes are selected through the iPod. Volume is controled by either the iPod or the stereo. Very simple. I have been keeping my iPod in the cupholder, but I am thinking about doing a mod so that it sits somewhere on the dash.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry folks...

rumor is that the new fancy 07 on iPod interface isn't backwards compatible...

Matt

Old 08-23-2006, 02:48 PM
MiniChik
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
rumor is that the new fancy 07 on iPod interface isn't backwards compatible...

Matt

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean Matt. Do you mean that an '06 MINI can't use the new interface?

Old 08-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
yep.

Originally Posted by MiniChik
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean Matt. Do you mean that an '06 MINI can't use the new interface?
but yeah, that's what I think. It's still early, and I could be wrong. Have you checked out the DICE interface? I think that covers the display aspects, and get's you the MFSW and head unit control...

matt

Old 08-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Ozbone
3rd Gear
If you follow the BMW link through to the end, it seems to say that one must have a BMW "Business" radio or (God forbid!) iDrive. Kinda confusing since early on it mentions the MINI. I'd suggest that you try calling MINIUSA and see what they have to say.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:54 PM
litabelle
3rd Gear
Does anyone else have a video ipod? Every so often I can actually navigate through the ipod menu to play whatever playlist, artist, video... Getting it to work like this has been intermittent. The last time I disconnected and then reconnected, I couldn't get it to go. I left it in the glove box for a couple weeks, tried it again on a whim, and BAM. Full functionality! My husband was able to do it once or twice, anyone else?

Old 08-23-2006, 06:08 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by litabelle
Does anyone else have a video ipod? Every so often I can actually navigate through the ipod menu to play whatever playlist, artist, video... Getting it to work like this has been intermittent. The last time I disconnected and then reconnected, I couldn't get it to go. I left it in the glove box for a couple weeks, tried it again on a whim, and BAM. Full functionality! My husband was able to do it once or twice, anyone else?
All the time, plug it in, wait a few seconds then hold down the menu button until you gain access, 6-10 seconds. Works everytime for me. It does not work with any other iPod in my house. Only the video iPod.

Steve

Old 08-23-2006, 06:12 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
The press release says that the new interface will allow very flexible control:
The new Interface will also allow users to incorporate their iPods directly into their car’s sound system, but with the newly available capability to sort their music according to their own playlists, as well as by artist, album, genre, podcast, and finally, a random selection of 500 songs from the user library. Artist, album, and song title will appear in the Display Monitor.
Realistically, we couldn't expect it to work on the current head unit, which simply wasn't designed to handle iPods. The current adapters only work by taking advantage of the head unit's CD-changer interface and making the iPod work like a virtual CD-changer (thus the limitation of 5 playlists). An advancement in the interface would require an update to the head unit itself.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:14 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Not really...

Originally Posted by rkw
The press release says that the new interface will allow very flexible control:Realistically, we couldn't expect it to work on the current head unit, which simply wasn't designed to handle iPods. The current adapters only work by taking advantage of the head unit's CD-changer interface and making the iPod work like a virtual CD-changer (thus the limitation of 5 playlists). An advancement in the interface would require an update to the head unit itself.
Other nodes on the bus can broadcast information onto the head unit display. All this requires is some microcontroller on the bus to do it. This is the idea behind the third party non-aux port integrations that are MFSW controlable. Why the unit from Mini doesn't do it is beyond me.

Matt

Old 08-23-2006, 07:22 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Annewithane
Originally Posted by Dave S
You just get an audio cable. One end goes in the audio output of the iPod and the other goes into the aux. (Mine is hidden near the cupholders.) Tunes are selected through the iPod. Volume is controled by either the iPod or the stereo. Very simple. I have been keeping my iPod in the cupholder, but I am thinking about doing a mod so that it sits somewhere on the dash.
A couple of tips for getting the best quality sound:

Connect the aux input to the iPod through the dock connector instead of the headphone jack. You'll need a cable such as this or an adapter like this. The headphone amplifier slightly degrades the sound. The output from the dock connector is a line-out that bypasses the headphone amplifier.

If the sound level is low when using the aux input (compared to radio or CD), you can increase its level. Tap the music note button until AUX LEV appears on the display, then turn the volume **** to set the level (0 to 5). Mine is set at 3 (I think default is 1).

Old 08-23-2006, 09:41 PM
litabelle
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mielnicki
All the time, plug it in, wait a few seconds then hold down the menu button until you gain access, 6-10 seconds. Works everytime for me. It does not work with any other iPod in my house. Only the video iPod.

Steve
Okay. I have to update some lists. If it doesn't work, I'm coming for you !

Old 08-24-2006, 01:00 AM
checkM8
1st Gear
I would try the DICE ipod adapter

I was looking over the thread and was suprised that no one mentioned DICE. I just got my ride TODAY and am totally stoked about getting one for my car. The adapter kicks major *** by plugging into your prewired 6 Disk changer port in the boot. Then you run it up and put the main unit under the passanger seat.

The cool things about DICE
1. You don't have to run off of playlist
2. You can switch songs with the Ipod, Head Unit, or Wheel
3. You can navigate with the Ipod, or Head Unit
4. The text displays on the head unit (If you have this on and have a Nav unit then it displays on both which people don't like... I don't have a Nav unit so it's all good)
5. It's super easy to instal and get going though you do have alot of wires to hide.
6. It charges the Ipod but shut off after an hour or something and is not FM based.
7. It's like $160 bucks. They wanted over 300 to put the stock one in and it pretty much sucks.

Here is a post about it. It is really old and about the first 5 or 6 pages talk about how it is screwing up right when it came out and then enventually they got the bugs out.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=68267

Here is the site for DICE
http://www.densionusa.com/
Here is a link to the actual site that sells the things
http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...html/dice.html

I'm going to order one tomarrow.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:18 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
I've been holding out from getting the DICE because I knew BMW was coming out with a new one. The only thing about the DICE that puts me off is running the cable from the boot, I really don't want exposed cable and I really don't want to take the interior panels of my car apart just to get ipod functionality. Why can't DICE make a cable that plugs into the HU? Surely that's where the CD Changer cable from the boot plugs in anyway?!

Old 08-24-2006, 09:35 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
I looked through the forum and web about DICE and it looks very good. However I think having Nav kills the deal for me. It seems that DICE takes over the screen completely to display ID3, so the Nav map isn't visible if the iPod is playing. The ID3 display can be turned off, but then ID3 won't show on either the headunit or Nav screen.

I'll continue with the aux input for now, but trying to operate the iPod directly while driving in busy traffic is too dangerous and I often have to skip it. I may end up with the OEM adapter despite its limitations.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:57 AM
gt6
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Chimera
I've been holding out from getting the DICE because I knew BMW was coming out with a new one. The only thing about the DICE that puts me off is running the cable from the boot, I really don't want exposed cable and I really don't want to take the interior panels of my car apart just to get ipod functionality. Why can't DICE make a cable that plugs into the HU? Surely that's where the CD Changer cable from the boot plugs in anyway?!
There are two units, one that runs a cable from the CD changer connection in the boot (T), and one that plugs into the back of the head unit (R40).

I just got off the phone with a rep at Enfig and got the scoop. The R40 units are currently on back order but are expected soon, possibly in another week.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Chimera
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gt6
There are two units, one that runs a cable from the CD changer connection in the boot (T), and one that plugs into the back of the head unit (R40).

I just got off the phone with a rep at Enfig and got the scoop. The R40 units are currently on back order but are expected soon, possibly in another week.
Good to know, thanks...I hadn't heard about the HU connection version of the DICE although I know that's how the Icelinks worked. I'll be ordering an HU-cabled DICE very soon

Old 08-24-2006, 04:53 PM
RenaultF1
4th Gear
I called 2 BMW dealerships about the new BMW iPod adapter today. They are saying that the new adapter that was supposed to be released in July is on nationwide backorder (which I think means it hasn't actually been released yet). They also indicated that the new one will only work on the newest BMWs (new 3 series, 5 series, etc.) and whatever headunit they have in the car...it won't work on the previous models, that is why they will be continuing manufacturing the existing adapter. I told them I thought that info was somewhat contrary to what I'd read on BMW's own website, but they swear their info is correct.

Now, because I never believe anyone when a product hasn't actually been in hand by anyone yet, I still think it warrants following up when it does come out. I don't know if anyone on the west coast has different info, but that is what they are saying in Maine & Massachusetts.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:41 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by RenaultF1
They also indicated that the new one will only work on the newest BMWs (new 3 series, 5 series, etc.) and whatever headunit they have in the car...it won't work on the previous models, that is why they will be continuing manufacturing the existing adapter. I told them I thought that info was somewhat contrary to what I'd read on BMW's own website, but they swear their info is correct.
I think that a careful reading of the press release matches with what they told you:
The new BMW Interface for iPod will be available for owners of the new BMW 3 Series Sedans and Sports Wagons as well as the 5, 6, and 7 Series. It will also be available for the new M5 Sedan and M6 Coupe... The original BMW iPod Adapter will continue to be available for 2002 and later BMW models: X3, X5, Z4, and previous generation 3 Series.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:55 PM
tide96
1st Gear
Hey RKW, I agree with you. I just read the press release and I'm thinking it's not backward compatiable for the older BMW/Mini's. Well hell. I still don't understand why the engineers could not have designed the ipod interface with more features including the id3 tags on the head unit..

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior New iPod Interface Adapter