Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Can't a girl just get pink paint???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006 | 02:16 AM
pinkmini
|
2nd Gear
Can't a girl just get pink paint???

Ok I went to pep boys or whatever it is, and then I tried a paint store, that place was dead, then I was just driving and happen to pass a store labled as an auto paint store. Ok so I think Im gonna hit the jackpot. WRONG!First of all Im a girl, I walk in with a sample of pink paint they think Im nuts, they hardly look at me. Can I get some respect PUHLEASE? So this guy (who looks like hes on crack-seriously) hears me talking and starts rattling off about how he did interiors blah blah and that you dont want to spray paint the dash, instead your supposed to dye it. (???) Im like how do you dye plastic? Ok anyhow he tells me the whole deal and he had some points that made sense but I am looking for a sort of pearl finish and I dont think I'll get that with dye. And no luck with dupicolor, they only carry "car" colors (the paint guy says) So he says go to an upholstry shop and they can custome make me some. (HUH???) I want to paint my dash!!! Im not some ditz, and Im not even blonde ok?? I have helped my dad work on classic cars and Im not afraid to get dirty. These guys look at me like I have no clue.

WHEW!! OK so sorry about that little venting. Now on to the questions. I have scanned a lot of posts on the topic, and it seems like a lot of people have had success using the dupicolor or similar paints. But most of those people arent using a rose pink. So where do I go to get some paint?? This guy in the store was saying oh it will scratch off so easy which is why you gotta dye it. Maybe I just didnt understand him. I am dying ( ha ha get it dye--ing!! Ok sorry bad joke) LOLto get working on customizing my car, so any help in the right direction is sooo much appreciated.

Old 08-24-2006 | 03:24 AM
ylwjkt
3rd Gear
Old 08-24-2006 | 03:59 AM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Pink, I suggest you contact StoopidGirl when she finishes MTTS, and see if can help you get hooked up. She's associated with Fireballed Tim via her BF, and even though you're in NorCal, they might be able to direct you to some good people. I found a pic in her gallery that includes pink in her car's interior:

Old 08-24-2006 | 04:32 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
^ +1 stoopidgirl (im feel like im offending someone writing her name ) has the pink mastered!

Old 08-24-2006 | 05:45 AM
CooperGear
Banned
If you really want your MINI to stand out check out House Of Kolor. They have been in the paint business for hot rods forever. Do you have a painter yet? I think that this will be the more harder part for you. And the more expensive!

http://www.houseofkolor.com

Old 08-24-2006 | 06:04 AM
Canned Heat
1st Gear
Suggestions

Most likely the person in the paint shop was thinking you wanted to paint the vinyl dash cover and he would then be correct in suggesting that it should be dyed.

I suspect you were referring to painting the plastic dashboard panels and you would be correct that they can be primed and painted and clear-coated quite easily. They pop off and you prep and paint them.

As for the colour... if you go to a reputable body shop they will have the ability to chart and mix the colour you choose and add some pearl or metal flake. They will paint the parts for you or often can recommend a paint supplier that can mix the paint for home use in a standard spray can for a modest price.

All these services are available in my area (I have used them) and I would think you will find them locally as well but may have to find the right person to ask who won't treat you like an outsider.

I hope you find the right answers.

Old 08-24-2006 | 06:27 AM
MisterDangerPants
4th Gear
Call Mary Kay Cosmetics and ask who paints their cars.

Old 08-24-2006 | 06:58 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Seeing as how you'll be staring at the interior pieces EVERY TIME you drive, I'd spend the extra money for a pro to do the work. In two months, you won't even remember the extra cost, but if you DIY it, and even the tiniest thing goes wrong, then your eye will go there every time you sit down. Personally, I think the peace of mind is worth the extra money (so long as it's not ridiculously overpriced). Just be sure to go someplace that doesn't condescend and that guarantees their work - other Mini peeps have had amazing work done on thgeir cars and I'm sure people like Stoopidgirl will recommend a good place. Let us know how it turns out!

Old 08-24-2006 | 10:01 AM
Canned Heat
1st Gear
Good Advice

Originally Posted by ImagoX
Seeing as how you'll be staring at the interior pieces EVERY TIME you drive, I'd spend the extra money for a pro to do the work. In two months, you won't even remember the extra cost, but if you DIY it, and even the tiniest thing goes wrong, then your eye will go there every time you sit down. Personally, I think the peace of mind is worth the extra money (so long as it's not ridiculously overpriced). Just be sure to go someplace that doesn't condescend and that guarantees their work - other Mini peeps have had amazing work done on thgeir cars and I'm sure people like Stoopidgirl will recommend a good place. Let us know how it turns out!
I stopped short of saying that but I couldn't agree more. Get a pro to do it right and you'll never regret it.

Old 08-24-2006 | 10:17 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
pinkmini, where in Nor-Cal are you located? Some NAM members may know of good shops in your area.

Old 08-24-2006 | 04:13 PM
pinkmini
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MisterDangerPants
Gee funny you mention that, because I AM A Mary Kay Consultant, and GM paints thier fleet of 10,000 cars.

RKW Im in Sf area.

I did find some paint shops that Im gonna try. I agree its better to get it done professionally so Im still looking at that as an option, but it depends on price.

Old 08-24-2006 | 05:20 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MisterDangerPants
ewww, I think there are much prettier colors of pink out there than the MK cars..ewww. And I wear pink all the time! she mentioned a rose pink.. nice.

Old 08-24-2006 | 05:22 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
I want to paint my car periwinkle. But my SO wont drive it if I do... on second thought hmm.. i like it!

Old 08-24-2006 | 06:21 PM
polizei
6th Gear
LMAO, Mary Kay has cars!!??

That is extremely funny.

Good luck in finding your paint. I would recommend trying to find a hot rod shop (like House of Kolor's like Block said) or a bike shop around you that does a lot of custom paint work. It'll cost you, but it'll probably be better to go this route and custom mix a color rather than trying to "find" one.

Best of luck!
-Cody

Old 08-24-2006 | 06:28 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by polizei
LMAO, Mary Kay has cars!!?? -Cody
Mary Kay Cosmetics is a big business and awards its high-selling people with pink cars...has for years.

Pink, I suggest that you send a PM to username Fireballed Tuls and ask him for some advice. He did both his SO's (StoopidGirl's) pink Cooper and thefuturequeenofnebraska's (Tori's) pink MCS. Absolutely the best freaking pink paint jobs you'll ever see!

Old 08-24-2006 | 06:38 PM
irieman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
Seeing as how you'll be staring at the interior pieces EVERY TIME you drive, I'd spend the extra money for a pro to do the work...
ImagoX said it before I could. To find that pro, hang at the local young-punks-in-blinged-out-cars hangout... wait for the most over-the-top and eye-bleeding paint job that ever soiled a coat of primer (often accompanied by metal flakes, klingon-inspired body kits, and park-bench rear spoilers).... ask that guy or girl where they got their car painted. that shop will find you the pink you're looking for!

(photo "borrowed" from hincity.com)

Old 08-24-2006 | 10:01 PM
pinkmini
|
2nd Gear
I like that-hang out with all the "pimped out rides" LMAO So not me, but my 16 yr old daughter might know some people! LOL. I'll get it all sorted out, and when I do I'll post pics and you'll all envy my EB/Pink car!! And to set the record straight on the Mary Kay pink its a beautiful pearl pink (although not the color Im getting) Think of the EB as blue cotton candy and imagine pink cotton candy with pearl or light glitter, thats the look Im after. And here ya go the MK Caddie in all its glory!! (yes that's me!)

Old 08-24-2006 | 10:17 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Pink, it looks pearly white in that shot. I wish you had a closer piccie in better lighting.

Old 08-24-2006 | 10:41 PM
pinkmini
|
2nd Gear
Yeah the shot is bad, but your right you can barely tell its pink unless your standing close.

Old 08-24-2006 | 10:52 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
LMAO, Mary Kay has cars!!??

That is extremely funny.

Best of luck!
-Cody
A few months ago I was visiting Louisville Kentucky and touring Churchill Downs. While walking through the parking lot I spotted a pink cadillac with the Mary Kay sticker, then another, then about 18 more including others that were Lincoln Continentals (but most were cadillacs).

Seems Mary Kay was having a big meeting upstairs at the Kentucky Derby Museum and were also in my Hotel at the Galt House. Not only do they all drive similar cars they had more or less the same outfits to wear.

Old 08-24-2006 | 11:08 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
MK's pink is sort of pale (someone in my neighborhood has one that I've seen)... What you really need a rich, deep pink with a bit of sparkle I think.

Old 08-24-2006 | 11:40 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
A few months ago I was visiting Louisville Kentucky and touring Churchill Downs. While walking through the parking lot I spotted a pink cadillac with the Mary Kay sticker, then another, then about 18 more including others that were Lincoln Continentals (but most were cadillacs).

Seems Mary Kay was having a big meeting upstairs at the Kentucky Derby Museum and were also in my Hotel at the Galt House. Not only do they all drive similar cars they had more or less the same outfits to wear.
ooohh, you just made me have a stepford wives moment.

Old 08-25-2006 | 04:09 AM
polizei
6th Gear
Wow is all I can say....

As for the pink, I would agree...get a deep pink, like Stoopid Girls, not like that Mary Kay car.

Mary Kay...

-Cody

Old 08-25-2006 | 05:04 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East

As for the pink, I would agree...get a deep pink, like Stoopid Girls, not like that Mary Kay car.
But then it would not be the color pink that she wants. .

We've already got a couple nailpolish pinks. . . let's see something different.

Get your MK/Cotton Candy pink!

Old 08-26-2006 | 05:34 PM
pinkmini
|
2nd Gear
OK Enough Mary Kay bashing! And I already said Im not getting that color pink! I am getting a cotton candy colored pink because it matches my car better. And its only bonnet sripes and the dash, not the whole car. Although I'd like it to be, my wallet doesnt have enough money! I planned on earning one of those Cadillacs, but I havnt got around to it yet. Maybe I will in spite of you all....

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Can't a girl just get pink paint???